Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Wojo’s future

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Wojo’s future

Do you think he will sit out a year and get a head coaching job next year?

Scheyer could use someone with head coaching experience on the bench. I realize some may consider this a non-starter for various reasons, but he wouldn`t be the first head coach to return to an assistant position (not even the first at Duke). I can think of worse option then returning to a place you love, know well, have friends, etc. And there is no guarantee a head coaching job will be offered in the near future.

It is worth noting that Wojo was an assistant when Scheyer was a player and they overlapped as assistant coaches for a year as well (Scheyer was a special assistant in 2013 and then made a full assistant coach in 2014 when Wojo left). So, they know each other quite well.

I have no inside info, but I would think it is decently likely that Wojo might consider rehabbing his coaching career a bit while also being a senior voice next to young newbie Scheyer in 2022.
    Why are you wasting time here when you could be wasting it by listening to the latest episode of the DBR Podcast?

Yep

Quote Originally Posted by JasonEvans View Post
    It is worth noting that Wojo was an assistant when Scheyer was a player and they overlapped as assistant coaches for a year as well (Scheyer was a special assistant in 2013 and then made a full assistant coach in 2014 when Wojo left). So, they know each other quite well.

I have no inside info, but I would think it is decently likely that Wojo might consider rehabbing his coaching career a bit while also being a senior voice next to young newbie Scheyer in 2022.
    Good point. I'd add that Duke is going to be a big team next year and we all know that Wojo is a tremendous big man coach. :-)

Maybe in the sporting world people don't care as much, but in the "normal world" one consideration is moving your family. Wojo has two sons, maybe they've gotten comfortable being in Milwaukee the last 7 years. I'm not sure how old they are admittedly. No idea how big of a factor that is/isn't, but it's got to be SOME factor. The greatness of the opportunity certainly would be a component of that decision-making as well, of course. Maybe it's not worth it for him to going back to being an Assistant to uproot his family, or maybe it is. Don't think he needs the money. Would love him back.

Capel returned to Duke as an assistant after years as Head Coach.

Quote Originally Posted by Pghdukie View Post
    Capel returned to Duke as an assistant after years as Head Coach.
    The main difference here is that Wojo had a coach/player relationship with Scheyer previously, whereas Capel was a player/coach relationship with Coach K. So Wojo would have to be willing to more or less flip the relationship dynamic in reporting to Scheyer rather than vice versa. Whereas with Capel, he was always reporting up to Coach K.

Not saying it's impossible, but it feels a bit unlikely. I DO think that it would be great for Scheyer to have an assistant coach with head coaching experience, but I'm just not sure if that dynamic with Wojo would work. It would take a lot of pride swallowing on Wojo's part, and it might be a bit uncomfortable for Scheyer too.

Quote Originally Posted by CDu View Post
    The main difference here is that Wojo had a coach/player relationship with Scheyer previously, whereas Capel was a player/coach relationship with Coach K. So Wojo would have to be willing to more or less flip the relationship dynamic in reporting to Scheyer rather than vice versa. Whereas with Capel, he was always reporting up to Coach K.

Not saying it's impossible, but it feels a bit unlikely. I DO think that it would be great for Scheyer to have an assistant coach with head coaching experience, but I'm just not sure if that dynamic with Wojo would work. It would take a lot of pride swallowing on Wojo's part, and it might be a bit uncomfortable for Scheyer too.
    Given the terms of his contract with Marquette, which he signed in 2019 to last through the 2023-24 season, I don't expect Wojo to return to coaching as an assistant any time soon.
    Sage Grouse

---------------------------------------
    'When I got on the bus for my first road game at Duke, I saw that every player was carrying textbooks or laptops. I coached in the SEC for 25 years, and I had never seen that before, not even once.' - David Cutcliffe to Duke alumni in Washington, DC, June 2013

Quote Originally Posted by sagegrouse View Post
    Given the terms of his contract with Marquette, I expect Wojo to do other stuff or take it easy for the next year.
    yes, and I like who we presently have.

Quote Originally Posted by budwom View Post
    yes, and I like who we presently have.
    Yes, but next year we will need one more assistant coach when Scheyer moves up.

To be clear, I am not saying Wojo is my preferred choice for the gig, but if he was interested, there are a lot of plusses to it.
    Why are you wasting time here when you could be wasting it by listening to the latest episode of the DBR Podcast?

Agree with your sentiment.

Additionally the fact Wojo is a young former head coach that is presumably looking to run his own program again adds another dynamic that I think would not be ideal and makes the pairing less likely. If there was someone like Phil Martelli and the role that he filled on Michigan’s staff, that seems like a better fit/dynamic.

scottdude8 is offline Moderator, Contributor, Zoubek disciple, and resident Wolverine

Quote Originally Posted by Owen Meany View Post
    Scheyer could use someone with head coaching experience on the bench. I realize some may consider this a non-starter for various reasons, but he wouldn`t be the first head coach to return to an assistant position (not even the first at Duke). I can think of worse option then returning to a place you love, know well, have friends, etc. And there is no guarantee a head coaching job will be offered in the near future.
    The Juwan Howard model is a strong example in support of pairing a first time head coach with a top assistant who has head coaching experience. Obviously Phil Martelli (Howard's top assistant) has a lot more experience (and, quite frankly, success) than Wojo, or even Capel (if things at Pitt turn sour and he's on the market in 2022), so this isn't necessarily an apples-to-apples situation. But if we want to keep our assistant coaches "in the family", Wojo is the only candidate who would be available as of today. I think it is certainly something that should be strongly considered.

FWIW, the counter-argument to this (that since Wojo was himself Scheyer's coach there might be some problems with the underlying authority dynamics) does bear weight and would have to be something very explicitly addressed. For that reason I don't think it would be out of bounds to consider going outside the family to find this more experienced, authoritative voice if the right candidate is out there. But I have a sneaky suspicion that isn't going to happen.
    Scott Rich on the front page

Trinity BS 2012; University of Michigan PhD 2018
    Duke Chronicle, Sports Online Editor: 2010-2012
    K-Ville Blue Tenting 2009-2012

Unofficial Brian Zoubek Biographer
    If you have questions about Michigan Basketball/Football, I'm your man!

Quote Originally Posted by DangerDevil View Post
    Agree with your sentiment.

Additionally the fact Wojo is a young former head coach that is presumably looking to run his own program again adds another dynamic that I think would not be ideal and makes the pairing less likely. If there was someone like Phil Martelli and the role that he filled on Michigan’s staff, that seems like a better fit/dynamic.
    A coach who left an ACC school on somewhat decent terms would be perfect. Herb Sendek is actually doing reasonably well at Santa Clara so likely isn't leaving there to be an assistant. I'll pass on Sidney Lowe, though he does have NBA experience. Larry Shyatt (a fellow Jew) would be great as he was most recently in the NBA, but he is 70. Pete Gillen is over 70. Al Skinner is about to turn 69. Assuming Cremins isn't coming back and hard pass on Seth Greenberg! Former Duke assistant Tim O'Toole was a head coach at a lower level for a while, but he is currently working for Capel.

Quote Originally Posted by CrazyNotCrazie View Post
    A coach who left an ACC school on somewhat decent terms would be perfect. Herb Sendek is actually doing reasonably well at Santa Clara so likely isn't leaving there to be an assistant. I'll pass on Sidney Lowe, though he does have NBA experience. Larry Shyatt (a fellow Jew) would be great as he was most recently in the NBA, but he is 70. Pete Gillen is over 70. Al Skinner is about to turn 69. Assuming Cremins isn't coming back and hard pass on Seth Greenberg! Former Duke assistant Tim O'Toole was a head coach at a lower level for a while, but he is currently working for Capel.
    You've come up with a list where Seth Greenberg is the least unattractive option.
    Sage Grouse

'When I got on the bus for my first road game at Duke, I saw that every player was carrying textbooks or laptops. I coached in the SEC for 25 years, and I had never seen that before, not even once.' - David Cutcliffe to Duke alumni in Washington, DC, June 2013

The other thing to consider is that, unlike Howard and Ewing, Scheyer’s assistant experience is in college AND at the school he will be head coach. And he has been working with an older coach who has no doubt delegated more and more responsibility to his lead assistants in recent years. So he may not have quite as much need for an assistant with college head coaching experience.

I mean, I think it would still be valuable, but probably not as critical as it was for Howard.

The other thing to consider is that, unlike Howard and Ewing, Scheyer’s assistant experience is in college AND at the school he will be head coach. And he has been working with an older coach who has no doubt delegated more and more responsibility to his lead assistants in recent years. So he may not have quite as much need for an assistant with college head coaching experience.

I mean, I think it would still be valuable, but probably not as critical as it was for Howard.
    I agree with this. It’s a bit risky bringing a senior coach into the mix, especially one outside the Duke family who may have very different ideas on how to handle things. I wouldn’t be unhappy to see a Coach Battier or Coach Cook on the bench next season.

Quote Originally Posted by SkyBrickey View Post
    I agree with this. It’s a bit risky bringing a senior coach into the mix, especially one outside the Duke family who may have very different ideas on how to handle things. I wouldn’t be unhappy to see a Coach Battier or Coach Cook on the bench next season.
    Either of those two would be great choices and someone mentioned Kyle, he would bring a toughness culture that I think Duke needs.

GoDuke!

It feels like the program is in a situation that as long as the K-created culture and influence permeates, they won't look outside the K tree, and I agree that the youth movement is fully in swing so bringing in an older dude feels like a bad fit. Besides, something tells me the current older dude, while he will allow Scheyer to run the program, will be quite available.

So we look to the recent young players closer to the end of their playing days than the start...

Quinn Cook is a great idea. He'll be near 30 when K steps away, the NBA does not seem to be banging down his door, etc. These guys, if they are healthy, do seem to want to scratch that playing itch as long as it itches so the timing may not be right. As you guys have said, Amile feels like he is also in this category.

Tyler Thornton is up at Howard with Kenny Blakeney. He could be poached the way K poached C-Well from Wojo. He crossed with Nolan for one year as a player and C-Well as an assistant. It is tough to know what the relationship was.

Will Avery spent a lot of time around the program recently as he was earning his degree. Maybe he built up enough goodwill and showed the staff something during that time?

David McClure is already in the NBA coaching ranks, part of the Memphis Grizzlies Duke posse. It does seem like the pros would probably want to stay with the NBA, but he crossed over with Jon and Nolan as teammates.

Paulus is already a head coach, and I also don't know how he vibes with the existing staff. He doesn't seem cool enough, and, from the outside, he doesn't feel like he's inner circle Brotherhood. He seems like the 3rd cousin whose 4-year regression deems him "factory defect" status. I'm not saying that is fair, but that's how it feels.

I don't know the kid at all, but Kyle Singler seems to me to be the least likely basketball coach of those suggested. He was a great player, but I think the kid's passion is art. As for Shane, I think the front office is where he belongs as I don't sense him connecting with 16-22 year olds. He belongs in the C-Suite with the bean counters and excel nerds. As for Zoubs, it seems like his burgeoning Philly-based residential/mixed real estate development career is keeping him very happy. G-Hendo is very close with these guys but has a budding NBA broadcasting career with the Hornets and banked $40MM, so I don't see that being an option. As long as the job would allow him to attend Burning Man every September, maybe Miles Plumlee would want to come back? If Lance comes back, would he be forced to talk to the NCAA about his bling purchases back in 2010?

One final thought...J Rob?

Quote Originally Posted by Billy Dat View Post

Paulus is already a head coach, and I also don't know how he vibes with the existing staff. He doesn't seem cool enough, and, from the outside, he doesn't feel like he's inner circle Brotherhood. He seems like the 3rd cousin whose 4-year regression deems him "factory defect" status. I'm not saying that is fair, but that's how it feels.
    Here's a link on Greg Paulus and his accomplishments so far at Niagara. I agree he is not likely to return to Duke as an assistant, but he seems destined for a "high-major" coaching position.

I never heard there were any "personal issues" involving Paulus, and while his basketball career appeared to founder, Syracuse was willing to make him a starting QB.
    Sage Grouse

Quote Originally Posted by sagegrouse View Post
    Here's a link on Greg Paulus and his accomplishments so far at Niagara. I agree he is not likely to return to Duke as an assistant, but he seems destined for a "high-major" coaching position.

I never heard there were any "personal issues" involving Paulus, and while his basketball career appeared to founder, Syracuse was willing to make him a starting QB.
    I recall hearing that before becoming Assistant Coach at Ohio State, Paulus lobbied for a Duke Assistant position but for whatever reason Coach K did not bite. I got the impression that Paulus did not meet the standards.