Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

How to support Duke under NIL

I did not include this in the larger NIL thread because the purpose of this post is to suggest modest ways in which a "normal fan" might be able to boost NIL benefits for Duke athletes. There also are a few thoughts on how DBR itself might be able to help in NIL efforts.

The purpose of this post is neither to debate the merits of NIL nor to predict what changes will occur to college sports. Rather, this is an attempt to offer options for those who want to support Duke without breaking the bank. I welcome other thoughts on how best to support Duke in the era of NIL.

First and foremost, follow/subscribe to the InstaGram/TikTok/Twitter/Youtube account of every Duke athlete you can. For a quick example, when the next recruit commits to play for Duke MBB, the DBR article on the announcement could contain links to the player's social media accounts. Subsequent articles about a player could also include those links. In downtime, say during timeouts of Duke game, actually click on some of those accounts so that you are deemed a "real subscriber".

A prediction I will make is that in recruiting going forward schools will brag about the total followers of their players and the increase after committing to the school. "Joe Doe increased his IG followers by 30K/300% in the month after he announced he was coming to play for us." "Last year our team had a combined 1.2M Tiktok followers, more than any other team you are considering." In addition, recruits may announce commitments on their own social media accounts instead of going on EspnU.

While Hoops is the focus of DBR, both the site and many of its followers support most Duke teams, at least as a general manner. We could create and update a sticky post with social media accounts for each Duke sport. This would have to be a sticky imho to keep out the trolls and haters. Known posters could be given the ability to update the list for non/limited revenue sports they follow or support. Given that many non revenue sports do not have enough scholarships to go around, NIL money could be a help.

Those of us who by demographics or choice are not big on social media might ask younger relations and friends to subscribe to certain Duke accounts. "All I want for Festivus this year is to get Paolo to X followers on IG, can you help me?"

While most of us will not be in a position to select Duke players for advertising campaigns (looking at you Tim Cook), we can support in smaller financial ways. You already can get your favorite Duke (or UNC) fan a Cameo birthday or Holiday message from Mark Williams. Patreon accounts could support blogs/podcasts etc. with small donations per month. Undoubtedly there will be opportunities for autographs, selfies, attending appearance events etc.

I do not purport to be an expert, but have read multiple articles and listened to numerous podcasts from those who do. Hopefully this post will allow you to use your time more productively while still supporting Duke.

New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley
    I'm not giving any Duke player in any sport a voluntary dime. I "support them" through my fanship, my appreciation of their game, and through ticket sales and purchases of branded clothes that support the university that they play for.
    Q "Why do you like Duke, you didn't even go there." A "Because my art school didn't have a basketball team."

Quote Originally Posted by CameronBornAndBred View Post
    I'm not giving any Duke player in any sport a voluntary dime. I "support them" through my fanship, my appreciation of their game, and through ticket sales and purchases of branded clothes that support the university that they play for.
    Completely your prerogative.

Somewhere a booster just laughed whole heartedly... ($100 handshakes been going on for decades).

Bully for you. Would hate to accidentally support the athletes with something more tangible than fond feelings. I hear the exchange rate for kind words from their betters is pretty good right now.

I'm far from convinced that this is going to be as big a deal as many are making it out to be. I'd just as soon see the dust settle before taking any action. It will become apparent enough if, how and when we can appropriately support these guys.
    But I don't see myself lining up at South Point Mall for autographs, that's for sure.

New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley
    Quote Originally Posted by SupaDave View Post
    Somewhere a booster just laughed whole heartedly... ($100 handshakes been going on for decades).
    Well duh. (And thankfully none has been caught doing such handshaking at Duke.)

I'm merely turned off at the thought (the title of this thread) that the way I've always supported Duke is no longer the way to do it, and now it requires my money feeding directly into a player's hand, and that ain't happening.

I've got no qualms with any player signing with some company, but I'm turned off the thought that I also ought to show my "support" by doing so personally.
    Q "Why do you like Duke, you didn't even go there." A "Because my art school didn't have a basketball team."

I'm merely turned off at the thought (the title of this thread) that the way I've always supported Duke is no longer the way to do it, and now it requires my money feeding directly into a player's hand, and that ain't happening.
    Well said. I agree 100 percent.
    Bob Green

Serious question / comment

In the past DBR has discussed issues such as how to interact with athletes since most if not all of us on this board can be considered "boosters".

https://forums.dukebasketballreport...uot-NBA-Dukies

Do these rules of engagement now change with the new NIL rules?

Well duh. (And thankfully none has been caught doing such handshaking at Duke.)

I've got no qualms with any player signing with some company, but I'm turned off the thought that I also ought to show my "support" by doing so personally.
    I agree with you in theory. But I think what the original poster is suggesting is that you sign up as a "follower" of the Duke-related people to boost their numbers (I don't fully understand how this process works). So there is no monetary cost to you, just a few minutes of your time.

I don't want to take this off on the usual tangent but I think we agree that this whole process stinks and is yet another step for making us old-school folks less engaged. We are moving further and further from the quaint image of college athletes who are thrilled to be getting a free education (which is worth $75k a year and most students would be thrilled with) and largely live the lives of normal students and more towards hired guns shopping themselves to the highest bidder.

Quote Originally Posted by CrazyNotCrazie View Post
    I agree with you in theory. But I think what the original poster is suggesting is that you sign up as a "follower" of the Duke-related people to boost their numbers (I don't fully understand how this process works). So there is no monetary cost to you, just a few minutes of your time.

I don't want to take this off on the usual tangent but I think we agree that this whole process stinks and is yet another step for making us old-school folks less engaged. We are moving further and further from the quaint image of college athletes who are thrilled to be getting a free education (which is worth $75k a year and most students would be thrilled with) and largely live the lives of normal students and more towards hired guns shopping themselves to the highest bidder.
    Unfortunately, we are already there…money rewards or not.

Hey, I got paid to go to Duke. I think I got somewhere between $3.50 and $5.00 an hour for my library work-study job (I'm sure I have a pay stub around somewhere...and I never understood the "study" part of that phrase because there was only work).

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Green View Post
    Well said. I agree 100 percent.
    at the very least, I would love if this board didn't become a massive discussion of how we funnel money to the players, and as some comments here are, condemnation of those who choose not to.
    1200. DDMF.

Quote Originally Posted by MarkD83 View Post
    In the past DBR has discussed issues such as how to interact with athletes since most if not all of us on this board can be considered "boosters".

https://forums.dukebasketballreport...uot-NBA-Dukies

Do these rules of engagement now change with the new NIL rules?
    I've heard nothing yet. Given how little time they've had to come up with specifics, I'm not surprised.

-jk

I think this goes to the OP's question. It's not really an answer, just speculation on my part. With many online products if you buy it through a link frrom a third party source ( a podcast's site, a promotional site, maybe even a site like Credit Karma) the referring or intermediary party gets a small kickback. I'm wondering if athletes can do this under NIL. Let's say for example I'm buying a swimsuit. One of the Duke swimmers has an NIL deal with a swimsuit company. I buy my suit via a link in the swimmer's social media account. The swimmer gets a cut, costs me nothing.

I don't object to not wanting to participate in this new model, but I also don't agree with a message that seems to be saying that it's gross for players to want to share in the rewards of a system that's making billions off of their labor. Some of the language being used sounds judgmental to me.

scottdude8 is online now Moderator, Contributor, Zoubek disciple, and resident Wolverine
    Quote Originally Posted by pokeresq View Post
    I did not include this in the larger NIL thread because the purpose of this post is to suggest modest ways in which a "normal fan" might be able to boost NIL benefits for Duke athletes. There also are a few thoughts on how DBR itself might be able to help in NIL efforts.

The purpose of this post is neither to debate the merits of NIL nor to predict what changes will occur to college sports. Rather, this is an attempt to offer options for those who want to support Duke without breaking the bank. I welcome other thoughts on how best to support Duke in the era of NIL.

First and foremost, follow/subscribe to the InstaGram/TikTok/Twitter/Youtube account of every Duke athlete you can. For a quick example, when the next recruit commits to play for Duke MBB, the DBR article on the announcement could contain links to the player's social media accounts. Subsequent articles about a player could also include those links. In downtime, say during timeouts of Duke game, actually click on some of those accounts so that you are deemed a "real subscriber".

A prediction I will make is that in recruiting going forward schools will brag about the total followers of their players and the increase after committing to the school. "Joe Doe increased his IG followers by 30K/300% in the month after he announced he was coming to play for us." "Last year our team had a combined 1.2M Tiktok followers, more than any other team you are considering." In addition, recruits may announce commitments on their own social media accounts instead of going on EspnU.

While Hoops is the focus of DBR, both the site and many of its followers support most Duke teams, at least as a general manner. We could create and update a sticky post with social media accounts for each Duke sport. This would have to be a sticky imho to keep out the trolls and haters. Known posters could be given the ability to update the list for non/limited revenue sports they follow or support. Given that many non revenue sports do not have enough scholarships to go around, NIL money could be a help.

Those of us who by demographics or choice are not big on social media might ask younger relations and friends to subscribe to certain Duke accounts. "All I want for Festivus this year is to get Paolo to X followers on IG, can you help me?"

While most of us will not be in a position to select Duke players for advertising campaigns (looking at you Tim Cook), we can support in smaller financial ways. You already can get your favorite Duke (or UNC) fan a Cameo birthday or Holiday message from Mark Williams. Patreon accounts could support blogs/podcasts etc. with small donations per month. Undoubtedly there will be opportunities for autographs, selfies, attending appearance events etc.

I do not purport to be an expert, but have read multiple articles and listened to numerous podcasts from those who do. Hopefully this post will allow you to use your time more productively while still supporting Duke.
    Perhaps I'm the one misinterpreting things, but I read this OP a lot different than many seem to have. To me, this wasn't a "let's figure out how to get the basketball players paid!" post, but a "let's figure out how to best support our student athletes in these new endeavors, just like we support them in their on-court endeavors".

For those who are active on social media, it costs you nothing besides a few seconds to "follow" Duke student athletes, from both revenue and non-revenue sports. But, as has been discussed in more detail in the other thread, increasing their social media footprint can have a significant effect on whether they get opportunities via the new NIL rules. For example, someone on the track and field team who might never have been able to monetize their contributions to the Duke athletic department previously could do so if even 1/100 fans who "follow" the Duke basketball social accounts follow them on social media. I think the intention was to try to come up with an organized/optimized way in which DBR uses who want to can support Duke athletes in this way, in parallel with (rather than instead of) more traditional mechanisms of support.

Here's how I view it: many of us who can support the athletic department financially in some way, either via ticket purchases or donations. The hope is that those contributions improve the Duke student-athlete experience. Now, with NIL, there's another way in which we can support these student athletes: using the power of the Duke fanbase to maximize their social media reach, and in turn their potential for NIL income. Perhaps it was the end of the post, which talks about directly contributing to the players via Cameo/Patreon/etc., that sent this conversation off in an unintended direction, but I think the core proposal is something we can all get behind: supporting our student athletes in this new fashion. If we heard about a Duke soccer player who started a non-profit after graduation and was raising money, that would be something that might posters on this board might encourage others to support. Heck, even if we heard that one of our favorite athletes that wasn't going to have a pro career was, say, starting a clothing brand after graduation as their primary job, that might get passed around the board with similar intentions. In this new world, now we can do those type of things while the students are still in school... and, in a twist, we can show our support without direct financial interaction, but via social media.

I know it's going to take us all a while to get used to this new world, and the fact that the NCAA botched it by making things so sudden and disorganized has given us all whiplash. But (as I mentioned in another thread) let's be careful we don't devolve into the "old man yells at cloud" meme. We want Duke student athletes to get the most support, have the best experience, and be the most successful they can be, and many of us directly contribute to that via ticket purchases, athletic department donations, or simply by showing our support as fans. Now there is a new, complementary (note: not to the exclusion of traditional mechanisms or support!) way in which we can support our student athletes... in fact, one might argue that this shift will allow more people to directly show their support (i.e. those who don't have disposable income yet to donate to the department can support student-athletes in their NIL endeavors on social media). There's nothing wrong with talking about that and figuring out how to best leverage our fan base in that endeavor, IMHO.
    Scott Rich on the front page

Trinity BS 2012; University of Michigan PhD 2018
    Duke Chronicle, Sports Online Editor: 2010-2012
    K-Ville Blue Tenting 2009-2012

Unofficial Brian Zoubek Biographer
    If you have questions about Michigan Basketball/Football, I'm your man!

Quote Originally Posted by scottdude8 View Post
    Perhaps I'm the one misinterpreting things, but I read this OP a lot different than many seem to have. To me, this wasn't a "let's figure out how to get the basketball players paid!" post, but a "let's figure out how to best support our student athletes in these new endeavors, just like we support them in their on-court endeavors".

For those who are active on social media, it costs you nothing besides a few seconds to "follow" Duke student athletes, from both revenue and non-revenue sports. But, as has been discussed in more detail in the other thread, increasing their social media footprint can have a significant effect on whether they get opportunities via the new NIL rules. For example, someone on the track and field team who might never have been able to monetize their contributions to the Duke athletic department previously could do so if even 1/100 fans who "follow" the Duke basketball social accounts follow them on social media. I think the intention was to try to come up with an organized/optimized way in which DBR uses who want to can support Duke athletes in this way, in parallel with (rather than instead of) more traditional mechanisms of support.

Here's how I view it: many of us who can support the athletic department financially in some way, either via ticket purchases or donations. The hope is that those contributions improve the Duke student-athlete experience. Now, with NIL, there's another way in which we can support these student athletes: using the power of the Duke fanbase to maximize their social media reach, and in turn their potential for NIL income. Perhaps it was the end of the post, which talks about directly contributing to the players via Cameo/Patreon/etc., that sent this conversation off in an unintended direction, but I think the core proposal is something we can all get behind: supporting our student athletes in this new fashion. If we heard about a Duke soccer player who started a non-profit after graduation and was raising money, that would be something that might posters on this board might encourage others to support. Heck, even if we heard that one of our favorite athletes that wasn't going to have a pro career was, say, starting a clothing brand after graduation as their primary job, that might get passed around the board with similar intentions. In this new world, now we can do those type of things while the students are still in school... and, in a twist, we can show our support without direct financial interaction, but via social media.

I know it's going to take us all a while to get used to this new world, and the fact that the NCAA botched it by making things so sudden and disorganized has given us all whiplash. But (as I mentioned in another thread) let's be careful we don't devolve into the "old man yells at cloud" meme. We want Duke student athletes to get the most support, have the best experience, and be the most successful they can be, and many of us directly contribute to that via ticket purchases, athletic department donations, or simply by showing our support as fans. Now there is a new, complementary (note: not to the exclusion of traditional mechanisms or support!) way in which we can support our student athletes... in fact, one might argue that this shift will allow more people to directly show their support (i.e. those who don't have disposable income yet to donate to the department can support student-athletes in their NIL endeavors on social media). There's nothing wrong with talking about that and figuring out how to best leverage our fan base in that endeavor, IMHO.
    I may be that old man yelling at the cloud (or at least the kids on my lawn). This brave new world is very strange and, to me, a bit unsettling.

Quote Originally Posted by scottdude8 View Post
    For those who are active on social media, it costs you nothing besides a few seconds to "follow" Duke student athletes, from both revenue and non-revenue sports. But, as has been discussed in more detail in the other thread, increasing their social media footprint can have a significant effect on whether they get opportunities via the new NIL rules.
    I completely understand the concept and have no strong feelings against the kids monetizing their following. But it just feels weird/creepy for me, a 44yo dude, to follow the Instagram of an 18 year old kid. (Side note: at 44 I’m both too young to use Facebook and too old for TikTok.)

Quote Originally Posted by MartyClark View Post
    This brave new world is very strange and, to me, a bit unsettling.
    I get it and know this is different from what we have been used to, but I am thrilled that players are finally able to put a little money in their pocket for their efforts. Think about what the schools/coaches/admins make from TV/tickets/shoe/apparel/etc. We are talking tens of billions of dollars a year. Up until now not only did the the kids get exactly zero of that money, but we even barred them from trying to make money on their own. The "brave new world" is nothing more than the schools and the NCAA no longer preventing the players from making money on their own. It is a long, long, long time coming and only begins to right the wrongs of decades of an unfair system.
    Why are you wasting time here when you could be wasting it by listening to the latest episode of the DBR Podcast?