Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Quote Originally Posted by gep View Post
    I would even vote for a 10 team conference. 9 game home-and-home basketball… 18 games… and 9 of 12 football games in-conference. But NO MORE THAN 10. Maybe the Big 10 and eventually the PAC 10 had it right all along…
    There was an article advocating for this in the Sporting News a few years ago. It went as far as to redraw the conferences. Doing this from memory, so may not be 100% accurate:

Had the ACC as Big 4 plus Maryland, UVA, Clemson, [South Carolina], GT and FSU

SEC, Big 10 and Pac-10 all back to pre-expansion (ex South Carolina/Arkansas/Missouri/Texas A&M, Penn State/Nebraska/Maryland/Rutgers and Utah/Colorado, respectively)

Big East was Penn State, Pitt, WVU, Virginia Tech, BC, Syracuse, UConn, Rutgers, Miami and...Notre Dame

New "Southwest" was Texas, A&M, Baylor, Texas Tech, TCU, Oklahoma, Oklahoma State, Arkansas, Missouri and Kansas

New "Mountain West" was Nebraska, K-State, Iowa State, Colorado, Utah, BYU, Colorado State, Air Force, Wyoming and [Boise State]

No divisions or championship games, just a full round robin in football and full home and home schedule in basketball. Restore more traditional rivalries and geographic integrity/sensibility. Won't ever happen for economic and other reasons, but I think it would be far better for fans personally.

The FCS Playoffs expanded to 12 teams with the top 4 getting byes in 1982. The playoff is now 24 teams with the top 8 receiving first round byes. North Dakota State played 16 games in 2019 with a 12 game regular season and won 4 playoff games. Seems like the FBS could do something similar and be just fine. If they are concerned with the length of the season and want to keep conference championship games then just cut out a regular season game or two that most teams schedule an FCS or low tier FBS team anyways.

Quote Originally Posted by luvdahops View Post
    There was an article advocating for this in the Sporting News a few years ago. It went as far as to redraw the conferences. Doing this from memory, so may not be 100% accurate:

Had the ACC as Big 4 plus Maryland, UVA, Clemson, [South Carolina], GT and FSU

SEC, Big 10 and Pac-10 all back to pre-expansion (ex South Carolina/Arkansas/Missouri/Texas A&M, Penn State/Nebraska/Maryland/Rutgers and Utah/Colorado, respectively)

Big East was Penn State, Pitt, WVU, Virginia Tech, BC, Syracuse, UConn, Rutgers, Miami and...Notre Dame

New "Southwest" was Texas, A&M, Baylor, Texas Tech, TCU, Oklahoma, Oklahoma State, Arkansas, Missouri and Kansas

New "Mountain West" was Nebraska, K-State, Iowa State, Colorado, Utah, BYU, Colorado State, Air Force, Wyoming and [Boise State]

No divisions or championship games, just a full round robin in football and full home and home schedule in basketball. Restore more traditional rivalries and geographic integrity/sensibility. Won't ever happen for economic and other reasons, but I think it would be far better for fans personally.
    External economic forces compelled a merger into five conferences. Sure it was money -- but it was actually "survival." The ACC could have potentially withered through the loss of Clemson, FSU and UNC. The Big 12 just barely survived -- I mean, who wants to be in a conference with Texas and Oklahoma? (I keed, I keed.) It turns out that FIVE is the right number of conferences supported economically, given the media outlets and dollars. It would be four (with 16 each) plus Notre Dame as an independent except the PAC-12 can't really have 16 teams.
    Sage Grouse

---------------------------------------
    'When I got on the bus for my first road game at Duke, I saw that every player was carrying textbooks or laptops. I coached in the SEC for 25 years, and I had never seen that before, not even once.' - David Cutcliffe to Duke alumni in Washington, DC, June 2013

Quote Originally Posted by sagegrouse View Post
    External economic forces compelled a merger into five conferences. Sure it was money -- but it was actually "survival." The ACC could have potentially withered through the loss of Clemson, FSU and UNC. The Big 12 just barely survived -- I mean, who wants to be in a conference with Texas and Oklahoma? (I keed, I keed.) It turns out that FIVE is the right number of conferences supported economically, given the media outlets and dollars. It would be four (with 16 each) plus Notre Dame as an independent except the PAC-12 can't really have 16 teams.
    The "Big 12's" bare survival evidenced that they only have ten teams, right?

Quote Originally Posted by gep View Post
    I would even vote for a 10 team conference. 9 game home-and-home basketball… 18 games… and 9 of 12 football games in-conference. But NO MORE THAN 10. Maybe the Big 10 and eventually the PAC 10 had it right all along…
    Maybe but who are we keeping?

Quote Originally Posted by wsb3 View Post
    Maybe but who are we keeping?
    Not BC, Pitt, VaT or UNCheat. Assume ND not part of this either.

Quote Originally Posted by mo.st.dukie View Post
    The FCS Playoffs expanded to 12 teams with the top 4 getting byes in 1982. The playoff is now 24 teams with the top 8 receiving first round byes. North Dakota State played 16 games in 2019 with a 12 game regular season and won 4 playoff games. Seems like the FBS could do something similar and be just fine. If they are concerned with the length of the season and want to keep conference championship games then just cut out a regular season game or two that most teams schedule an FCS or low tier FBS team anyways.
    And FCS teams have fewer players on scholarship.

Quote Originally Posted by arnie View Post
    Not BC, Pitt, VaT or UNCheat. Assume ND not part of this either.
    Louisville 's actions on and off the court/field have earned them an exit visa, IMHO.

I find it hilarious that this proposal is coming out at the same time the NCAA is desperately trying to restrict the impact of NIL rights, because it's willfully sacrificing the ability of players on these teams to make the most value from their education. In the current system, only one academic semester is impacted by football, spring practice not taking nearly as much time in the spring semester. Even a team that makes the championship game will only go a few days into the new semester, so students can underload in football season, take classes in summer and still graduate in four years. If the playoffs bleed into mid-late January, players on the last few teams will spend the rest of the semester catching up on academic work they missed. I never seriously thought that the playoffs would expand because it completely kills the student-athlete argument, but no one seems to be talking about the academic issues this expansion proposes. It looks like neither the NCAA nor the media really cares about academics except if they can get publicity out of it.

Academics!?!?

We are talking about FOOTBALL here!

Quote Originally Posted by rsvman View Post
    Academics!?!?

We are talking about FOOTBALL here!
    Speaking of...

ESPN: North Carolina players not in favor of proposed 12-team College Football Playoff, says coach Mack Brown

North Carolina coach Mack Brown said Thursday that during a team discussion about the expanded 12-team College Football Playoff, his players were against the format and preferred six to eight teams. "They said twelve is too many, and I understand. Most of my players can't count past ten without taking off their socks," Brown said.

During a wide-ranging Zoom with reporters, Brown mentioned that ACC commissioner Jim Phillips had asked all coaches to get feedback from players about playoff expansion.

Quote Originally Posted by brevity View Post
    "They said twelve is too many, and I understand. Most of my players can't count past ten without taking off their socks," Brown said.
    Nice one!!

My question: who asked?

Ugh.

Quote Originally Posted by Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15 View Post
    My question: who asked?

Ugh.
    I saw this on the ESPN front page before I saw it here and had the exact same reaction.