Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Tripping William View Post
    Now we’ll hear kvetching from Team 13 instead of Team 5.
    Yup.

Quote Originally Posted by Tripping William View Post
    Now we’ll hear kvetching from Team 13 instead of Team 5.
    Quote Originally Posted by tommy View Post
    Exactly. Especially considering in basketball we hear kvetching from Teams 69, 70, 71 etc.

And now with this format, meaning teams 5-12 would need to win four games to win this tournament, this would mean their season would extend to how many total games? 18? Is that right? 17? As long or longer than an NFL season? Just keep feeding em into the meat grinder . . .
    I mean, sure, but I won't care nearly as much (just like I don't care as much about bubble teams in the NCAAs). The goal isn't to eliminate the kvetching, the goal is just to make sure all the teams that should have a real shot/have earned a shot are included (generally this means including a couple teams that don't really have a shot, just as we see in the NCAA tournament and most professional playoffs). Team #5 has a much better case for kvetching than team #13.

Quote Originally Posted by Acymetric View Post
    I mean, sure, but I won't care nearly as much (just like I don't care as much about bubble teams in the NCAAs). The goal isn't to eliminate the kvetching, the goal is just to make sure all the teams that should have a real shot/have earned a shot are included (generally this means including a couple teams that don't really have a shot, just as we see in the NCAA tournament and most professional playoffs). Team #5 has a much better case for kvetching than team #13.
    i'm pretty sure the goal is to make more money.
    1200. DDMF.

The bigger the field, the more lopsided games we'll see...I guess I could see eight as being a reasonable maximum...

Quote Originally Posted by budwom View Post
    The bigger the field, the more lopsided games we'll see...I guess I could see eight as being a reasonable maximum...
    I mean, most of the CFP games were already about as lopsided as it gets. I truly don't think it could be much worse. I do think that in the long run it will lead to less lopsided games, as the idea that you have to go to Alabama or whatever to play in the playoffs starts to dissipate with more teams cycling in and out.

Edit: In terms of parity, I actually think 4 teams lead to more stratification among the top programs than the 2 team BCS did, and is probably the worst case scenario for encouraging competitive balance (although that is total hindsight, not something I would have expected at the time).

Quote Originally Posted by uh_no View Post
    i'm pretty sure the goal is to make more money.

Surely you jest uh no...

Quote Originally Posted by jimsumner View Post
    Given how physically demanding college football is, I just cannot see giving a team(s) a bye. Just too much of a competitive advantage. Eight has always made the most sense to me. But 16 is better than 12, IMO.
    Good point, Jim. I always thought 8 made the most sense but I could deal with 16..

Quote Originally Posted by wsb3 View Post
    Good point, Jim. I always thought 8 made the most sense but I could deal with 16..
    But won't 16 teams mean that the teams in the championship game will play 4 playoff games? Plus the 13 regular season/conf championship games... that's a total of 17 games... just as much as the NFL. For that reason, I think 8 teams should be the max. FWIW

The 12 team playoff is practically a 17 or more team playoff. The championship of each power 5 conference is the first round with the championship of other leagues each year being required wins to get at large bids.

Quote Originally Posted by MarkD83 View Post
    The 12 team playoff is practically a 17 or more team playoff. The championship of each power 5 conference is the first round with the championship of other leagues each year being required wins to get at large bids.
    Except that a 12 team playoff would certainly sometimes include SEC Championship Game losers.

16-team playoff means teams will play 17 games. Seems like a lot
    Sage Grouse

---------------------------------------
    'When I got on the bus for my first road game at Duke, I saw that every player was carrying textbooks or laptops. I coached in the SEC for 25 years, and I had never seen that before, not even once.' - David Cutcliffe to Duke alumni in Washington, DC, June 2013

I don't like the bye for the top 4 teams. 16 teams is no different than in basketball when the Number 1 seed plays a 16 seed. And yeah, once every 30 years a 1 might be upset, and we'll love it.

Personally I think 8 teams provides everyone that has a shot at winning 3 straight against top teams an opptunity and doesn’t add the unfairness of byes or extend for a 4th playoff game.

Ideally (if $ not a factor), eliminate the worthless conference championship games. The uneven strength of conference divisions often results in one of the top 2 teams in a conference not playing and creates potential for an upset that creates more problems determining who gets the coveted playoff spots. IMHO the conference championship games are the worst development in recent years.

I am trying to think through how this expanded playoff might impact the growing trend of players skipping bowl games, etc. because they are entering the draft. Part of me thinks that if a player is in a bowl game that can help their team move towards a championship vs. a random bowl game that is not as meaningful they might be more interested in playing. The flip side is that every additional game they play is another chance to get hurt and not cash in. Also, is there more value in going to do training targeted towards the combine vs. giving scouts more actual game tape to watch?

Quote Originally Posted by gep View Post
    But won't 16 teams mean that the teams in the championship game will play 4 playoff games? Plus the 13 regular season/conf championship games... that's a total of 17 games... just as much as the NFL. For that reason, I think 8 teams should be the max. FWIW
    If a team seeded 5 through 12, i.e. a team that doesn't get a bye, advances to the championship game, then they would play four playoff games.

Cut back to an 11-game season and/or eliminate conference title games. If the health and well-being of the players matters more than the bottom line.

Ha! Ha! I crack myself up. Yes, I'll be here all week.

I'll suggest (opposite of Jim) expanding to 32 teams and do like the NHL and play every other day ! No byes, survival of the fittest.

Quote Originally Posted by jimsumner View Post
    If a team seeded 5 through 12, i.e. a team that doesn't get a bye, advances to the championship game, then they would play four playoff games.

Cut back to an 11-game season and/or eliminate conference title games.
    This was my thoughts and while we are at it since conference expansion was done so we could have a conference championship- (more $$$$$) Could we return to an 8 team conference? I know I am old & get off of my lawn.

This was my thoughts and while we are at it since conference expansion was done so we could have a conference championship- (more $$$$$) Could we return to an 8 team conference? I know I am old & get off of my lawn.
    I thought of the same thing with Jim’s post. Then we can get back to home-and-home basketball season😎

Quote Originally Posted by gep View Post
    I thought of the same thing with Jim’s post. Then we can get back to home-and-home basketball season😎
    What if we went back to eight team conferences, full schedules against your conference, home and home in basketball. Seven conference games leaves plenty of room for two non-conference games and a sixteen team playoff.

I know it won't happen, but...

I would even vote for a 10 team conference. 9 game home-and-home basketball… 18 games… and 9 of 12 football games in-conference. But NO MORE THAN 10. Maybe the Big 10 and eventually the PAC 10 had it right all along…
    Last edited by gep; 06-23-2021 at 01:15 AM. Reason: Spelling…