Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst ... 56789 LastLast
    scottdude8 is online now Moderator, Contributor, Zoubek disciple, and resident Wolverine
    Quote Originally Posted by azzefkram View Post
    I never know what to make of these scrimmage videos. I probably shouldn't make anything of them but it's summer and I need Duke Basketball to distract me from how dreadful the Yankees have become. I am really looking forward to seeing Paolo in real games. He is so smooth with the ball in his hands. The only things that even somewhat concerns me is that he at times appears too unselfish. Jeremy looks much more comfortable running the offense and with his shot. He did not look really good on D but no on else did either. I thought Wendell looked great for about 3/4 of the video and then he had a few typical WTH Wendell moments. I thought Mark looked really bad during much of the scrimmage. I am not seeing what many are in Trevor. He looks really strong but not quick at all. AJ strikes me as a player that most of won't notice during the games until he has an OMG explosion of plays. Joey looked confident shooting the ball but I'll need to see it during games. I find it a tad odd and a bit concerning that we haven't seen Theo on the court.
    I wouldn't be worried about that. As a grad student Theo just has a different summer course load than the typical player and has had to miss some of these 5v5 opportunities because of that. He's been in practice generally, as far as I know.
    Scott Rich on the front page

Trinity BS 2012; University of Michigan PhD 2018
    Duke Chronicle, Sports Online Editor: 2010-2012
    K-Ville Blue Tenting 2009-2012

Unofficial Brian Zoubek Biographer
    If you have questions about Michigan Basketball/Football, I'm your man!

Quote Originally Posted by lotusland View Post
    Kinda surprised no discussion of 5 on 5 intra squad scrimmage posted unless I missed it. I thought it was entertaining. I spent the first half identifying the new guys and haven’t rewatched it yet. My take-aways from the admittedly small sample:
    1. Moore looks like a junior captain who will have big role and will handle the ball a lot. His shooting, ball handling, decision making and defense looks solid and he was the most confident player on the court
    2. Roach shot the ball well and with confidence.
    3. Williams did a lot a of Williams’s stuff plus I think he went 1-2 from deep
    4. Banchero and Griffin are studs as advertised
    5. Blakes showed a lot of energy but did not contribute noticeably
    6. Keels didn’t really set the world on fire. From this scrimmage alone, I would put Joey Buckets well ahead of Keels
    7. Michael Savarino is not afraid to play with these guys. I won’t go overboard with predictions except to say it will not surprise me to see him play some non- garbage minutes before his career ends.
    8. If John played, I missed it.

Plan to watch it again later today.
    Both Jeremy and Joey looked good. There is a baller in Joey, I just know it, and I agree that he seemed ahead of Keels based on 13 minutes of footage. Love that Jeremy and Joey were aggressive with their shot. It's just practice, but I like the team.

Quote Originally Posted by scottdude8 View Post
    I wouldn't be worried about that. As a grad student Theo just has a different summer course load than the typical player and has had to miss some of these 5v5 opportunities because of that. He's been in practice generally, as far as I know.
    I saw him on the bench in this latest video but I didn't see him on the court. So unless my eyes misled me, he didn't have to miss the opportunity. Count me among those who are interested in why he was in the gym but didn't get into the scrimmage.

Quote Originally Posted by Kedsy View Post
    I saw him on the bench in this latest video but I didn't see him on the court. So unless my eyes misled me, he didn't have to miss the opportunity. Count me among those who are interested in why he was in the gym but didn't get into the scrimmage.
    Plus he was sitting with Jose Fonseca.

scottdude8 is online now Moderator, Contributor, Zoubek disciple, and resident Wolverine
    Quote Originally Posted by Kedsy View Post
    Well I definitely missed that! Good eyes.

I just want to know who picked the teams in this most recent vid.

Moore, Keels, Baker, Worthington, Jones
    vs
    Williams, Banchero, Griffin, Roach, Blakes

Interesting matchup. It put Wendell and Keels in some situations where they had to manufacture offense without much help. I thought both guys acquitted themselves well in that context- at least from what I could tell from the highlights.

Quote Originally Posted by lotusland View Post
    Kinda surprised no discussion of 5 on 5 intra squad scrimmage posted unless I missed it. I thought it was entertaining. I spent the first half identifying the new guys and haven’t rewatched it yet. My take-aways from the admittedly small sample:
    1. Moore looks like a junior captain who will have big role and will handle the ball a lot. His shooting, ball handling, decision making and defense looks solid and he was the most confident player on the court
    2. Roach shot the ball well and with confidence.
    3. Williams did a lot a of Williams’s stuff plus I think he went 1-2 from deep
    4. Banchero and Griffin are studs as advertised
    5. Blakes showed a lot of energy but did not contribute noticeably
    6. Keels didn’t really set the world on fire. From this scrimmage alone, I would put Joey Buckets well ahead of Keels
    7. Michael Savarino is not afraid to play with these guys. I won’t go overboard with predictions except to say it will not surprise me to see him play some non- garbage minutes before his career ends.
    8. If John played, I missed it.

Plan to watch it again later today.
    Am I missing something? I didn’t see Griffin do much of anything on the video.

Quote Originally Posted by kshepinthehouse View Post
    Am I missing something? I didn’t see Griffin do much of anything on the video.
    I noted the same. It could have been just the cuts that made the video but Griffin was just taking up space for the most part.

Quote Originally Posted by DoubleBlue View Post
    I noted the same. It could have been just the cuts that made the video but Griffin was just taking up space for the most part.
    I'm hoping that the same film editor that made Nick Horvath a summertime All-American is keeping Griffin as a secret weapon for the winter season.

What?

Quote Originally Posted by camion View Post
    I'm hoping that the same film editor that made Nick Horvath a summertime All-American is keeping Griffin as a secret weapon for the winter season.

There's film of Horvath in the summer? That's pure gold. Where can I find that?

Quote Originally Posted by sagegrouse View Post
    Must be a Duke BoT meeting this week with both Grant and Janet in attendance.
    Janet rotated off the board this year.

Quote Originally Posted by MChambers View Post
    Oops, I've said too much already.

If UNC ever found the secret vault...

Uh, never mind. There is no vault. Never was one. Ignore everything I've said.

Quote Originally Posted by dukelifer View Post
    Janet rotated off the board this year.
    Doesn't mean she wasn't at the meeting. There seem to be continuing responsibilities for trustees emeritae (and -i).
    Sage Grouse

---------------------------------------
    'When I got on the bus for my first road game at Duke, I saw that every player was carrying textbooks or laptops. I coached in the SEC for 25 years, and I had never seen that before, not even once.' - David Cutcliffe to Duke alumni in Washington, DC, June 2013

Paolo coast to coast with a fluid behind the back dribble at full speed is a thing of beauty. I knew he could handle the ball, but his skills are incredible. I don’t think we’ve had a better playmaker at this size at this age. I know it’s just practice video, but he appears to be well ahead of freshmen Grant Hill, Jabari Parker and Jayson Tatum...

Quote Originally Posted by MChambers View Post
    The Man in the High Castle has it. Alternative universe and all.

Quote Originally Posted by SkyBrickey View Post
    Paolo coast to coast with a fluid behind the back dribble at full speed is a thing of beauty. I knew he could handle the ball, but his skills are incredible. I don’t think we’ve had a better playmaker at this size at this age. I know it’s just practice video, but he appears to be well ahead of freshmen Grant Hill, Jabari Parker and Jayson Tatum...
    Someone named Zion comes to mind! I hope Paolo is as good or better! LGD GTHcGTH!
    Ozzie, your paradigm of optimism!

Go To Hell carolina, Go To Hell!
    9F 9F 9F
    https://ecogreen.greentechaffiliate.com

Quote Originally Posted by OZZIE4DUKE View Post
    Someone named Zion comes to mind! I hope Paolo is as good or better! LGD GTHcGTH!
    When I say playmaker, I mean a guy who creates offense for himself and others at will. Jay Williams and Kyrie Irving are the two great Duke playmakers that come to mind but they were smallish guards. Grant, Jabari and Tatum did it with size in that point forward type of role, but I see more potential in Paolo as a freshman. I could see 4-5 assists per game with 18+ points as the offense flows through him. Tatum averaged 16.8 ppg and 2.1 apg in his one year.

At Duke Zion was an offensive battering ram, but with so much of the offense running through RJ, I wouldn’t have labeled him a playmaker. Much more so in the NBA.

I’m very excited about Paolo because he seems like a unique talent that makes others around him better. Likes finding the open man. That’s a recipe for championships.

Quote Originally Posted by SkyBrickey View Post
    When I say playmaker, I mean a guy who creates offense for himself and others at will. Jay Williams and Kyrie Irving are the two great Duke playmakers that come to mind but they were smallish guards. Grant, Jabari and Tatum did it with size in that point forward type of role, but I see more potential in Paolo as a freshman. I could see 4-5 assists per game with 18+ points as the offense flows through him. Tatum averaged 16.8 ppg and 2.1 apg in his one year.

At Duke Zion was an offensive battering ram, but with so much of the offense running through RJ, I wouldn’t have labeled him a playmaker. Much more so in the NBA.

I’m very excited about Paolo because he seems like a unique talent that makes others around him better. Likes finding the open man. That’s a recipe for championships.
    Zion created at least as much offense for others as Parker and Tatum did. Both his assist% and his assists per 40 were better than either Parker or Tatum. (WAY better than Parker, who was somewhat of a black hole, IIRC.)

ASSIST STATS FOR SELECTED DUKE FORWARDS

Code:
    Name		Year	Asst%	Assts per 40
    Grant Hill	1994	???	5.8
    Josh McRoberts	2007	20.6	3.9
    Jalen Johnson	2021	20.5	4.2
    Mike Dunleavy	2001	???	3.6
    Zion Williamson	2019	14.9	2.7
    Kyle Singler	2010	13.5	2.7
    Justise Winslow	2015	13.2	2.9
    Jayson Tatum	2017	12.4	2.6
    Brandon Ingram	2016	11.4	2.3
    Marvin Bagley	2018	8.8	1.8
    Jabari Parker	2014	8.6	1.5
    Examples of forwards who made plays for others might be Jalen Johnson and sophomore Josh McRoberts, though sadly neither of those guys seemed to have the "recipe for championships."

I agree with your basic premise, however. Hopefully Paolo will be more similar to Grant Hill than any of the others mentioned.

Quote Originally Posted by cbolden1 View Post
    So, Paolo has gone home to Seattle for a bit. Lots of NBA guys play in the Crawsover (named for founder, NBA super-sub Jamal Crawford) so Paolo is getting some decent workouts here.
    Why are you wasting time here when you could be wasting it by listening to the latest episode of the DBR Podcast?