Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by budwom View Post
    bumping this up as I saw on the Devils Den that Mark Williams has been measured with a 9 foot 8 inch standing reach...give ME that reach along with my six inch vertical and it's jam city. I believe he has a 7-7 wingspan to boot...

Both are evidently Duke records
    If he bulked up - like 15lbs+ - opponents are in troubling.

I'm very excited about the Mark/Paolo pairing.
    Criticism may not be agreeable, but it is necessary. It fulfils the same function as pain in the human body. It calls attention to an unhealthy state of things. - Winston Churchill

President of the "Nolan Smith Should Have His Jersey in The Rafters" Club

Yeah the Banchero/Williams duo is going to be scary good, might be even better than Bagley/Carter which is saying a lot.

scottdude8 is online now Moderator, Contributor, Zoubek disciple, and resident Wolverine
    bumping this up as I saw on the Devils Den that Mark Williams has been measured with a 9 foot 8 inch standing reach...give ME that reach along with my six inch vertical and it's jam city. I believe he has a 7-7 wingspan to boot...

Yup, that and the strength of Theo John (mentioned in the offseason transfer thread I believe, but bears repeating that he broke a weight lifting record that's been held since the days of Shelden Williams) are pretty awesome measurables. If Theo proves capable of being a solid ACC player in 10-15 mpg, I think the different style that he presents as a bruiser could give opposing teams whiplash.

It's going to be a common refrain all summer, but I'm SO EXCITED to see what the front court is going to do this year.
    Scott Rich on the front page

Trinity BS 2012; University of Michigan PhD 2018
    Duke Chronicle, Sports Online Editor: 2010-2012
    K-Ville Blue Tenting 2009-2012

Unofficial Brian Zoubek Biographer
    If you have questions about Michigan Basketball/Football, I'm your man!

Quote Originally Posted by UrinalCake View Post
    Social media posts from Duke have taken a major turn the last couple of days, promoting Duke as the “biggest stage” with the “brightest lights.” The latest on Twitter highlights how many views the episodes of Duke Blue Planet receive. And here’s Zion describing how playing for Duke helped his brand. NIL is now the focus for getting kids to come.

https://twitter.com/dukembb/status/1...757581319?s=21
    Cool shirt!

Annotation 2021-07-08 114352.jpg
    Last edited by Rich; 07-08-2021 at 11:47 AM. Reason: Is this in the right thread?
    Rich
    "Failure is Not a Destination"
    Coach K on the Dan Patrick Show, December 22, 2016

Theo John isn’t going to be “knocked back.” I wonder who else is in the conversation of strongest Duke player in history? I would imagine Elton and Miles Plumlee are in the conversation.

Theo John isn’t going to be “knocked back.” I wonder who else is in the conversation of strongest Duke player in history? I would imagine Elton and Miles Plumlee are in the conversation.
    Semi looked like he had pushed some heavy weights.

Boozer was an earth mover.

Well

Since this is the summer workout thread, I must point out that Mark Williams would still get schooled by Nick Horvath in summer pickup games.

Quote Originally Posted by MChambers View Post
    Since this is the summer workout thread, I must point out that Mark Williams would still get schooled by Nick Horvath in summer pickup games.
    Thank you. I can't see a summer thread on Duke ball without thinking of Nick.

Good question. I'd be interested to see where Nate and Henry Coleman and Wendell Carter and Vernon Carey rank on the list . . .

Quote Originally Posted by tommy View Post
    Good question. I'd be interested to see where Nate and Henry Coleman and Wendell Carter and Vernon Carey rank on the list . . .
    Not sure how folks forgot to mention Zion...
    Criticism may not be agreeable, but it is necessary. It fulfils the same function as pain in the human body. It calls attention to an unhealthy state of things. - Winston Churchill

President of the "Nolan Smith Should Have His Jersey in The Rafters" Club

Quote Originally Posted by Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15 View Post
    Boozer was an earth mover.
    Quote Originally Posted by tommy View Post
    Agree with all of these. I would also add Maggette and Dahntay Jones to the list.

Quote Originally Posted by flyingdutchdevil View Post
    Not sure how folks forgot to mention Zion...
    The Flying Bulldozer!! I'll never forget Zion's incredible dunk on Jay Huff.

c150eef6-1fcf-454e-b855-3aedb9557faf.sized-1000x1000.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by DoubleBlue View Post
    The Flying Bulldozer!! I'll never forget Zion's incredible dunk on Jay Huff.

c150eef6-1fcf-454e-b855-3aedb9557faf.sized-1000x1000.jpg
    Great photo and thanks for linking! Look at the the faces of the students in the background. Many of them have the same expression - I call it the "Oh My God" look and they are ready to erupt. And there is only one person in the entire upper deck who is already standing up and ready the cheer the massive dunk.

Quote Originally Posted by CrazyNotCrazie View Post
    Agree with all of these. I would also add Maggette and Dahntay Jones to the list.
    At the guard position, consider Jason Williams and Trajan Langdon, with Justise Winslow a contender on the wing.

Quote Originally Posted by CrazyNotCrazie View Post
    Maggette may have been jacked but I can promise you he wasn't that strong as a freshman because I witnessed his lack of strength first hand. The summer before his freshman year he and Nate were in the weight room on east. I happened to be working out. I knew Nate because I was friends with his girlfriend. Nate put 135 lbs on the bench press and Corey could not get it up. They moved to the shoulder press and Corey couldn't get the 45 lbs bar up. Nate was yelling at him and making fun of him. Nate looked over at me and asked me to lift it. So I did. Then Nate made fun of him by saying something like, "that tiny skinny guy can do it and you can't?". I was never more honored and belittled at the same time. I'm sure the strength came quickly to him once he started lifting but when he was young, Corey's muscles were all show and no go.

I'd go with Zion, Elton and a dark horse, Taymon, as my top, with Booze and Justise in the mix too.

it's going to be interesting to see how they fashion this rather strong group defensively...quickness does not see to be its major attribute...lots of length and strength, though. I imagine K has a plan...it may have to involve a decent amount of rim protection.

Quote Originally Posted by nmduke2001 View Post
    Maggette may have been jacked but I can promise you he wasn't that strong as a freshman because I witnessed his lack of strength first hand. The summer before his freshman year he and Nate were in the weight room on east. I happened to be working out. I knew Nate because I was friends with his girlfriend. Nate put 135 lbs on the bench press and Corey could not get it up. They moved to the shoulder press and Corey couldn't get the 45 lbs bar up. Nate was yelling at him and making fun of him. Nate looked over at me and asked me to lift it. So I did. Then Nate made fun of him by saying something like, "that tiny skinny guy can do it and you can't?". I was never more honored and belittled at the same time. I'm sure the strength came quickly to him once he started lifting but when he was young, Corey's muscles were all show and no go.

I'd go with Zion, Elton and a dark horse, Taymon, as my top, with Booze and Justise in the mix too.
    You talking about this guy as a weakling??

https://www.gloucestercitynews.net/...923a200b-600wi

Quote Originally Posted by roywhite View Post
    At the guard position, consider Jason Williams and Trajan Langdon, with Justise Winslow a contender on the wing.
    I’ll submit 3-time (IIRC) Iron Devil winner Grayson Allen as well.

Quote Originally Posted by MChambers View Post
    In keeping with a long line of Williamses who Summer Nick took to school.

He definitely dominated Shelden in summer pick up, no question.

But I believe he also schooled JWill a bit - he was just *that* good.