Page 6 of 20 FirstFirst ... 4567816 ... LastLast

Thread: Euro 2020

Denmark!

The Denmark-Russia game was an awe-inspiring example of why I love tournament soccer so much. After Denmark had to live through seeing their teammate nearly die in game 1, then scoring a remarkable goal in the 2nd minute of Game 2, only to lose in the end, Denmark needed to win by 2 goals and get some help to advance to the knockout rounds...

And they did it! It was so great to see the stadium full of fans in Copenhagen cheering the home team as they ran all over Russia. The high of getting the two goal lead they needed plus a Belgium goal against Finland, only to have the Belgium goal pulled back by VAR. And then to concede--all within one minute of play! Then Denmark comes roaring back to again secure the win and the crowd goes bonkers! And what about that wonder strike by Andreas Christensen?...a central defender! (I have a soft-spot for defender's scoring having been one way back in high school).

I'll definitely be rooting for Denmark in the knockout rounds!
    Good people drink good beer. -Hunter S. Thompson

Quote Originally Posted by Gooch View Post
    The Denmark-Russia game was an awe-inspiring example of why I love tournament soccer so much. After Denmark had to live through seeing their teammate nearly die in game 1, then scoring a remarkable goal in the 2nd minute of Game 2, only to lose in the end, Denmark needed to win by 2 goals and get some help to advance to the knockout rounds...

And they did it! It was so great to see the stadium full of fans in Copenhagen cheering the home team as they ran all over Russia. The high of getting the two goal lead they needed plus a Belgium goal against Finland, only to have the Belgium goal pulled back by VAR. And then to concede--all within one minute of play! Then Denmark comes roaring back to again secure the win and the crowd goes bonkers! And what about that wonder strike by Andreas Christensen?...a central defender! (I have a soft-spot for defender's scoring having been one way back in high school).

I'll definitely be rooting for Denmark in the knockout rounds!
    Same here. There were not only these great storylines, but the Denmark-Russia match also featured some really entertaining play. It was my favorite match of the tournament so far.

Ditto to posts ^ by Gooch and wilson! I was frantically toggling back and forth between the 2 matches yesterday afternoon during second halves.

Maybe more toggling this aft, though I’m inclined to start with Scotland-Croatia. Neither of those teams can afford to settle for a tie. At some point in the second half, one or both of those teams will be desperate.

England .... I don’t know.

Slovakian goalie with a howler. It was an odd situation, ball off crossbar went sky high, came straight down just above and in front of crossbar, goalie mis-timed jump slightly, threw himself off balance, and he punched the ball slightly downward into his net. All he had to do was punch it upward with both hands in nearly any direction, but the oddness of the ball’s descent seemed to confuse him. Slovakia not likely now to make knockouts.

ETA - Another goalie mistake a few minutes later. Spain 2-0. Slovakia won’t make knockouts on only 3 points and negative GD.

Quote Originally Posted by gumbomoop View Post
    ETA - Another goalie mistake a few minutes later. Spain 2-0. Slovakia won’t make knockouts on only 3 points and negative GD.
    And after 5-0, really no chance. Meanwhile, Poland is down 1-2 to Sweden, and needs to win for Lewandoski to stay in the tournament. Sweden needs to win to win the group, so the end means something with 15 to play.

Poland ties it. Both teams want to score in the next 5+ minutes.

Yessssss!!!!

Holland avoids Portugal! We play Czech Republic!!!!!!!!!!!!

THANK YOU SPAIN AND SWEDEN!!!!!!
    Criticism may not be agreeable, but it is necessary. It fulfils the same function as pain in the human body. It calls attention to an unhealthy state of things. - Winston Churchill

President of the "Nolan Smith Should Have His Jersey in The Rafters" Club

Really sorry to see Lewandowski bow out.

Knockout bracket is top-heavy. Top half includes Belgium, Italy, Group of Death 1st place, Spain, Croatia, and still possibly another from Group of Death.

Netherlands in good spot to reach semis. No guarantees, of course.

Knockout bracket is top-heavy. Top half includes Belgium, Italy, Group of Death 1st place, Spain, Croatia, and still possibly another from Group of Death.

Netherlands in good spot to reach semis. No guarantees, of course.
    Yup. Horrible top bracket. Bottom half best teams are England, Netherlands, and Runner up in Group of Death.

The FIFA #1 team in the world, Belgium, now faces either France, Germany, or Portugal in the second round. Ouch...
    Criticism may not be agreeable, but it is necessary. It fulfils the same function as pain in the human body. It calls attention to an unhealthy state of things. - Winston Churchill

Quote Originally Posted by flyingdutchdevil View Post
    The FIFA #1 team in the world, Belgium, now faces either France, Germany, or Portugal in the second round. Ouch...
    Help me on this; I need some clarification. I’m going to avoid the phrase “second round,” as that will confuse me.

1. Do we already know which 3d place team, Group A or F, will be Belgium’s Round of 16 opponent?
    2. So Belgium will play either Switzerland or one of France, Germany, Portugal in its first knockout match, yes?
    3. Which means, the 2 supposedly best teams in the world might meet in the first knockout round, yes?
    4. We do know that if Belgium win their Round of 16 match, they play winner of Italy-Austria, yes?

Top half of bracket is brutal, brutal. I think I recall a similar situation in Euro 2016.

Help me on this; I need some clarification. I’m going to avoid the phrase “second round,” as that will confuse me.

1. Do we already know which 3d place team, Group A or F, will be Belgium’s Round of 16 opponent?
    2. So Belgium will play either Switzerland or one of France, Germany, Portugal in its first knockout match, yes?
    3. Which means, the 2 supposedly best teams in the world might meet in the first knockout round, yes?
    4. We do know that if Belgium win their Round of 16 match, they play winner of Italy-Austria, yes?

Top half of bracket is brutal, brutal. I think I recall a similar situation in Euro 2016.
    1. No, but Portugal has to lose by 3 goals to be fully eliminated. Unlikely...
    2. Yes. Can only be one of those two.
    3. Yes, but that means France loses and Germany wins in the games starting in 15 minutes
    4. Yes.

Basically, Belgium and Italy are second round and quarterfinal "losers" because they won their respective groups. Absolutely brutal.

Quote Originally Posted by flyingdutchdevil View Post
    3. Yes, but that means France loses and Germany wins in the games starting in 15 minutes
    Well, France and Germany are both losing at the moment. At it stands, Portugal wins the group and Germany is out altogether.

Lots of soccer left to play, of course, but there are hills to climb for a couple of the very biggest teams. Conditions in Germany are terrible, which usually benefits the defense, so that particular hill is especially large.

France scores, Germany doesn't, so at halftime for both games, France wins the group, with Portugal second, Hungary third, and Germany out of the competition. Heck of a final day of group play.

45 minutes left to play in the stage.

Quote Originally Posted by Phredd3 View Post
    France scores, Germany doesn't, so at halftime for both games, France wins the group, with Portugal second, Hungary third, and Germany out of the competition.
    I got nothing against Germany, though honestly if they lose in Munich to Hungary, they can’t complain about not advancing.

And I sort of prefer this current order of finish: France, Portugal, Hungary. For that would, I think, match Belgium with Hungary in the Round of 16. In the remaining open slots in the bracket I’m looking at, the only place for the 3d place team in F — as long as the 3d place team in F advance, which Hungary would — is opposite Belgium.

I got nothing against Germany, though honestly if they lose in Munich to Hungary, they can’t complain about not advancing.

And I sort of prefer this current order of finish: France, Portugal, Hungary. For that would, I think, match Belgium with Hungary in the Round of 16. In the remaining open slots in the bracket I’m looking at, the only place for the 3d place team in F — as long as the 3d place team in F advance, which Hungary would — is opposite Belgium.
    Meanwhile, Benzema scores for France, which flips both slots, and would have France winning the group, Hungary second, and - despite currently losing - Germany in third and advancing. However, a handball was just called against France, and now my computer freezes so I can't see what happens.

Quote Originally Posted by Phredd3 View Post
    Meanwhile, Benzema scores for France, which flips both slots, and would have France winning the group, Hungary second, and - despite currently losing - Germany in third and advancing. However, a handball was just called against France, and now my computer freezes so I can't see what happens.
    Equalizer from Ronaldo.

Meanwhile, in Munich, after Germany ties it up following a missed punch from the Hungarian goaltender, Hungary immediately goes back ahead on a long pass after the ensuing kick-off. High drama in the last 30 minutes of group play.
    Just be you. You is enough. - K, 4/5/10, 0:13.8 to play, 60-59 Duke.

You're all jealous hypocrites. - Titus on Laettner

You see those guys? Animals. They're animals. - SIU Coach Chris Lowery, on Duke

Quote Originally Posted by Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15 View Post
    Equalizer from Ronaldo.
    Thanks. I missed it, but my connection is back.

Meanwhile, Germany scored, then within 15 seconds of kickoff allow Hungary to go ahead again. Germany are back out. What a day.

VAR check in the Portugal France game in extra time.