Page 2 of 20 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: Euro 2020

Something terrible, terrible has happened to Christian Ericksen of Denmark in the match with Finland. Players from both teams look stunned, frightened. Danish players are surrounding Ericksen, blocking fans’ and camera’s view. Announcers speculating that the match may be stopped. This appears awful.

ETA— UEFA has just suspended this match. No idea what happens now.

ETA 2 — When Ericksen was stretchered off, the Danish players held up a curtain totally surrounding the stretcher. I don’t recall ever having seen that. This looks terrible.

ETA 3 — Announcer references to “chest compression,” which cameras very briefly showed. I did not see it as it happened, but apparently Ericksen simply collapsed on his own.
    Last edited by gumbomoop; 06-12-2021 at 01:03 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by gumbomoop View Post
    Something terrible, terrible has happened to Christian Ericksen of Denmark in the match with Finland. Players from both teams look stunned, frightened. Danish players are surrounding Ericksen, blocking fans’ and camera’s view. Announcers speculating that the match may be stopped. This appears awful.

ETA— UEFA has just suspended this match. No idea what happens now.

ETA 2 — When Ericksen was stretchered off, the Danish players held up a curtain totally surrounding the stretcher. I don’t recall ever having seen that. This looks terrible.
    The duration of the chest compressions performed on him did not look promising. Legitimately traumatic to even watch on television. I can’t imagine being there.

The first close-up is a sight I wish I had not seen. Let no one show it to you.
    Man, if your Mom made you wear that color when you were a baby, and you're still wearing it, it's time to grow up!

Man, that was horrible to watch. Not a good sign about the sheets around the stretcher. I've never seen that before and I fear the worst. Not sure why they don't have an ambulance there at events like this. I was waiting for a cart or ambulance to drive on the field.

Look like he was conscious coming off the field and now a network says he's in stable condition.

I turned it on moments after it happened. I pray that he is ok - very frightening. I appreciate that they didn’t want to show what happened but the announcers said nothing - it took forever for them to say that it was not related to soccer and he collapsed. Nice gesture by his teammates to surround him. I agree that it was odd that after a minute or two an ambulance wasnt rushed onto the field. Meanwhile, in typical soccer fashion the game clock kept ticking.

Very scary.

Eriksen just collapsed untouched as he went to strike the ball. He was near the left sideline on the Finland side of the field.
    Sage Grouse

---------------------------------------
    'When I got on the bus for my first road game at Duke, I saw that every player was carrying textbooks or laptops. I coached in the SEC for 25 years, and I had never seen that before, not even once.' - David Cutcliffe to Duke alumni in Washington, DC, June 2013

Quote Originally Posted by PSurprise View Post
    Look like he was conscious coming off the field and now a network says he's in stable condition.
    Oh, this would be wonderful news. I’m glued to ESPN, hoping they’ll confirm this news. Will check online football sites, too. Appreciate any news reports from any of you.

ESPN reports that UEFA reports Ericksen has been “stabilised” in hospital.

Quote Originally Posted by PSurprise View Post
    This is amazing and, hopefully, great news. I wouldn't have thought it possible.
    Man, if your Mom made you wear that color when you were a baby, and you're still wearing it, it's time to grow up!

Horrendous call. With a nearly as bad PK.

Had England/Croatia on in the background. Didn't seem England was ever in much danger. I do always enjoy following their team to see at what point they decide to poop their pants.

I would enjoy watching them make a run, but history and logic have me prepared for a different outcome.

Quote Originally Posted by Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15 View Post
    Had England/Croatia on in the background. Didn't seem England was ever in much danger. I do always enjoy following their team to see at what point they decide to poop their pants.

I would enjoy watching them make a run, but history and logic have me prepared for a different outcome.
    Where’s Harry Kane going to land if he leaves Tottenham?

Quote Originally Posted by OldPhiKap View Post
    Where’s Harry Kane going to land if he leaves Tottenham?
    City, or United with Chelsea as the dark horse. Juventus is keen on him but the preference is to stay in England. Of course, money talks.

Glad to have a win for the Three Lions. There is nothing quite like the sigh of relief after an English win. I stopped counting how many times the announcers brought up the fact that England has never won a Euro opener.

Those two quick Ukrainian goals! Uhh, FDD, you ok?

Quote Originally Posted by Reisen View Post
    Those two quick Ukrainian goals! Uhh, FDD, you ok?
    He is now.

For now.

88’

Exciting Netherlands-Ukraine game. Two great goals by Ukraine to come back but Netherlands pulled it out after a lazy clear attempt.

Not sure what to make about Moreno announcing - very unique style.

Nice win by the Dutch!

The Danish team doctor has confirmed Erickson suffered cardiac arrest, and was revived with a defibrillator. Scary.

Oh boy

Eventful Euro so far. Let's start with Christian Eriksen, who thankfully is alive after his heart stopped on the pitch. Hats off to the medical staff, his teammates, the opposing teams, and all the fans. Truly a wonderful response. And so happy the football world rallied around Eriksen.

We learned that Italy is for real, Belgium is ruthless, and England is playing like a team. And then we learned the Dutch can - and should - be the most entertaining team in the Euros. Yes, I went from ecstatic to severely depressed to cautiously optimistic in the span of 20 minutes.
    Criticism may not be agreeable, but it is necessary. It fulfils the same function as pain in the human body. It calls attention to an unhealthy state of things. - Winston Churchill

President of the "Nolan Smith Should Have His Jersey in The Rafters" Club

Amazing Czech goal in the 52nd minute against Scotland. Got the goalie out of position and drained a perfect shot over his head. Then, to top it off, the keeper gets tangled in the net like an Alaskan salmon.