Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Loki

New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley
    I've been watching some of the older "legacy" Marvel animation on Disney + lately. Most of it isn't that good, but has still been interesting to watch old cartoons from the 70s/80s. One of the newer ones has actually been beneficial to my watching Loki, though.
    Growing up and in college, I read far more DC and indie comics than Marvel, so I was never tuned in to who was who in that universe. So watching Avengers: Earth's Greatest Hero's has been good at introducing lots of other characters that haven't shown up on screen.
    Long story short, two of the episodes have done a nice intro on some of the folks in Loki.

In Episode 4 (Thor The Mighty), we get introduced to Enchantress. In the live action show, she's the variant that the TVA is hunting down, under the supposition that it is another Loki. (The green eyed lady with the magic touch that Loki runs after at the end.)

In Episode 6 (Meet Captain America), we get introduced to both Kang the Conqueror (one of the unseen Timekeepers) and Ravonna Renslayer, Kang's girlfriend. (She's the TVA judge.)

I'm still on the fence about Loki overall. It's enjoyable, but can get both bogged down AND confusing with the alternate timeline business. It's never my favorite storyline.
    Q "Why do you like Duke, you didn't even go there." A "Because my art school didn't have a basketball team."

Is it wrong that I didn't pick up that it is basically a buddy cop show on the first episode?

REALLY enjoying it. Hiddleston is great, and so is Wilson. The idea of the disasters, and everyone there being doomed, is heavy, and curious if they are going to get into the depressing nature of that. Not getting TOO tied up in the intricacies of time... just going with the flow, no pun intended. Mobius and Loki have a wonderful chemistry. We'll see how the "female Loki" thing goes... I was a little throw just by the VISUAL... I was sort of hoping they'd pick someone more similar in appearance to Hiddleston... and does she NOT have an accent? So far, though, I've really enjoyed it... not a lot of bam crash boom, which, to me, is a big plus.

BTW, we all know that, by the end, Owen Wilson is going jet skiing on some apocalyptic tidal wave, right?

Quote Originally Posted by CameronBornAndBred View Post
    I've been watching some of the older "legacy" Marvel animation on Disney + lately. Most of it isn't that good, but has still been interesting to watch old cartoons from the 70s/80s. One of the newer ones has actually been beneficial to my watching Loki, though.
    Growing up and in college, I read far more DC and indie comics than Marvel, so I was never tuned in to who was who in that universe. So watching Avengers: Earth's Greatest Hero's has been good at introducing lots of other characters that haven't shown up on screen.
    Long story short, two of the episodes have done a nice intro on some of the folks in Loki.

[spoilers]
    Not cool. In the past, threads have been designated as spoiler or non-spoiler for movies and shows. This thread lacks any such designation. Please refrain from sharing potential/probable spoilers without spoiler tags or other warnings.

I don't know if enough people on the board care about the show/thread to merit this change, as it has been a fairly low volume discussion so far, but if a mod is reading, you may want to add "Spoilers" to the thread title.

I feel like, if you are in a thread discussing a current show, the default would be assume that there ARE spoilers, because thats part of discussing a show? I mean, if you cannot talk about what happens in the show, whats the point of the thread?

Totally fine if they change the title, though, to make it more clear?

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Ash View Post
    I feel like, if you are in a thread discussing a current show, the default would be assume that there ARE spoilers, because thats part of discussing a show? I mean, if you cannot talk about what happens in the show, whats the point of the thread?

I agree. The wandaVison thread, I think, was killed by having to post with those little spoiler tags. I’m 100% for spoilers being posted freely in this thread. The show comes out WEEKLY on Wednesday. If you haven’t seen the most recent episode, I think it would be easy to not click. It’s not like all episodes are blasted out at once. Just my thoughts.

New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley

Apologies to anyone who felt spoiled (although I think the characters that I mentioned aren't ultra surprises, especially Kang, since he's been touted for months now as being a major bad guy in upcoming movies, and there is no guarantee that he actually shows up as anything more than a statue in Loki), but overall I agree with Lord Ash. For movies it's one thing, but with a weekly show, I simply avoid the thread until I watch.
    What does drive me crazy is trying to avoid spoilers on my news sites, that seemingly wake me up with full blown synopsis headlines that they put out an hour after it releases at midnight.
    Q "Why do you like Duke, you didn't even go there." A "Because my art school didn't have a basketball team."

Apologies to anyone who felt spoiled (although I think the characters that I mentioned aren't ultra surprises, especially Kang, since he's been touted for months now as being a major bad guy in upcoming movies, and there is no guarantee that he actually shows up as anything more than a statue in Loki), but overall I agree with Lord Ash. For movies it's one thing, but with a weekly show, I simply avoid the thread until I watch.
    What does drive me crazy is trying to avoid spoilers on my news sites, that seemingly wake me up with full blown synopsis headlines that they put out an hour after it releases at midnight.
    I feel like identifying unrevealed or unintroduced characters based on outside information is pretty much the definition of spoiler, but apparently YMMV. I get the frustration, though, and I'm not looking to stifle conversation. I'll check back in after the series ends.

Quote Originally Posted by IrishDevil View Post
    I feel like identifying unrevealed or unintroduced characters based on outside information is pretty much the definition of spoiler, but apparently YMMV. I get the frustration, though, and I'm not looking to stifle conversation. I'll check back in after the series ends.
    Ah, I see what you mean. But I don’t think anything he said is necessarily TRUE... it’s all based on marvel cartoons from decades ago. There is no actual proof that Kang will be a timekeeper, or that the variant is actually Enchantress... that’s just theory, I believe?

Ah, I see what you mean. But I don’t think anything he said is necessarily TRUE... it’s all based on marvel cartoons from decades ago. There is no actual proof that Kang will be a timekeeper, or that the variant is actually Enchantress... that’s just theory, I believe?
    Which is the point of discussing the show with others. Trying to figure out what will happen and how it will “end” is part of the fun, IMO.

Yep. Just as many surmised about Agnes being Agatha Harkness in WandaVision.
    Plenty think that Lady Loki will be just that, and not be Enchantress.

Minority opinion: I've seen the first two episodes and am just not feeling it yet.

I did enjoy the airplane gag, but failed to register the time period and the alias, and didn't realize what was going on until I saw
    Spoiler!

I also laughed at the paperweights in the TVA offices. What a great way to show to Loki (and us) that Marvel is leaving the Thanos stuff behind and going next level.

The rest of it is fine, but it's not grabbing me yet like the beginnings of WandaVision or Falcon and the Winter Soldier. I am keeping an open mind about having Tom Hiddleston as a lead and Loki in large doses -- he's a charismatic guest on Graham Norton -- but so far more of him hasn't been more fun to me.

It's all a bit [obvious pun on the show's title]. I'll keep watching but it's not appointment television.

In Endgame, Thanos' new mission was to toast the whole universe and start from scratch, since doing away with half of life wasn't the answer.
    If he had been successful, who would have been left? Himself, obviously, but would the folks at the TVA have been affected?
    I'm assuming the universe does not include the multiverse. I don't think Thanos destroying this universe would have also destroyed the other universes/timelines, so the TVA (among other..."places"?) would have been just fine. I imagine the destruction of the timeline would be close enough to the "reset" that the TVA does that they wouldn't have needed to intervene.

Of course I don't know any of this, so maybe I'm way off base.

In any case, I didn't think I would like this show but was pleasantly surprised! I was even a little disappointed when I realized the third episode wasn't out yet (I hadn't been paying much attention and thought the series was further along. I very much thought the variant was going to end up being the Scarlet Witch (even at the point of the reveal, until I got a look at her face).

Other than establishing who the mystery variant actually is, and leaving her and Loki in a tough spot, this week's episode didn't really seem to do much to advance the story. A little surprising since there are only three left.

Well there was a big reveal about who the TVA workers are (I don’t know how to do spoilers), but overall a slow episode that seems to have been setting up a bunch of other stuff.

Other than establishing who the mystery variant actually is, and leaving her and Loki in a tough spot, this week's episode didn't really seem to do much to advance the story. A little surprising since there are only three left.
    Sure, it wasn't a big "fill in the plot details" story, but it told us a good bit about Sylvie and set them up to work together. Sure, there are only 3 episodes left, but that's as much time as you would get from an entire movie so there is plenty of time to tell a lot of story.

I also strongly suspect the tales of Loki at the TVA will not be wrapped up nicely in a bow at the end of the next 3 episodes.
    Why are you wasting time here when you could be wasting it by listening to the latest episode of the DBR Podcast?

Quote Originally Posted by JasonEvans View Post
    Sure, it wasn't a big "fill in the plot details" story, but it told us a good bit about Sylvie and set them up to work together. Sure, there are only 3 episodes left, but that's as much time as you would get from an entire movie so there is plenty of time to tell a lot of story.

I also strongly suspect the tales of Loki at the TVA will not be wrapped up nicely in a bow at the end of the next 3 episodes.
    Of course not. Just like WV and F&TWS, this is all a prelude to the next stage. However, both of those shows allowed themselves more episodes to wrap up their own story. As pointed out, there were only two really big reveals here, with the TVA folks being variants being the most eye opening of the two. Beyond that, it was mostly just a drawn out character development episode. If you have 10 or more episodes to bury it in, that's fine, but this one felt lacking.

Bright side, hopefully it sets us up for a total rollercoaster as the second half wraps up.

By the way, no Mobius in this one. Does that mean he swoops in and saves them both from planetary destruction, now that he knows (thanks to Loki) where to find Enchantress hiding in an apocalypse? Do Loki and Sylvie open M.M.M's eyes and get him on board for subverting the TVA?

Now that was a good episode.

Note to all - there is a scene during the credits. Don’t miss it.

Quote Originally Posted by acdevil View Post
    Now that was a good episode.

Note to all - there is a scene during the credits. Don’t miss it.
    Here is a good explanation of who was there; I was only familiar with one of them.
    https://www.yahoo.com/lifestyle/loki...203350369.html

Side note, the article mentions a "council of Lokis". There is something else that I'm familiar with, only because I've been enjoying the animated Avengers shows on Disney +. Near the end of the first series, Avengers: Earth's Mightiest Heroes, Kang is met by three other "Kangs", and they are the council of Kang. Each is from a different timeline. (They show up to tell the first Kang that he's screwing up.)

I wanted to quickly say that I was bummed when they pruned Loki. When they earlier pruned Mobius, it was a bit of a shock and really packed a punch. But you knew there was a zero percent chance they were eliminating Loki from the series that bears his name. I mean, they didn't even need that post-credit scene to tell us there was going to be a way for him to be alive (personally, I thought they would do it via time travel).

Anyway, I think it would have been powerful to really eliminate a popular and significant character like Mobius and I am disappointed that the show undermined his death so quickly by showing us that pruning is far from permanently fatal.
    Why are you wasting time here when you could be wasting it by listening to the latest episode of the DBR Podcast?

Well, it's not completely clear that a regular human can survive it, so far all we know is that Lokis can survive it.