Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by ClemmonsDevil View Post
    I have demonstrated time and again that you should not expect highly of me. I'll buy you a beer next time I'm in Asheville.
    Then all is forgiven. But I will very likely be wearing flipflops.

I wear them around 320 days a year.

Quote Originally Posted by Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15 View Post
    Then all is forgiven. But I will very likely be wearing flipflops.

I wear them around 320 days a year.
    Content to silently judge.

I like to call ‘em thongs like the Aussie’s.

Quote Originally Posted by bundabergdevil View Post
    I like to call ‘em thongs like the Aussie’s.
    Makes me like them less

If you have carpets, Play-Doh.

You do know you said that outloud?

Makes me like them less
    Australians or flip-flops? Or thongs?

Quote Originally Posted by Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15 View Post
    You do know you said that outloud?
    Phone is on silent so it was indeed silent judgment. Unless you read it out loud. Then that changes things. And thongs. Much worse.

My father died recently. During the funeral arrangements my poor mother was bombarded with questions regarding the funeral. We settled on most things and I was astonished by how expensive everything was. When it was time to pick the coffin we went into the "coffin room". There were about 15 coffins to choose from. We picked a tasteful wooden coffin. I was shocked when the funeral director quoted me $6,200 for this wooden coffin. He then said that I would likely want a "coffin vault". Not knowing what that was, he showed me a modern coffin vault. Picture a long coffee table with four legs, but it is modeled in the shape of the top of a coffin. They place this plastic, four-legged thing over the coffin in the hole. Not knowing the purpose, I asked "what purpose does this serve?" His response, "it protects the coffin from getting damaged when you cover it with dirt". The price tag, $1,600. I told him that my dad was dead so I'm sure he didn't care if the coffin was damaged and unless something terrible happens, I'm not anticipating seeing the coffin again so no thanks. It's all I could do from telling him to go blank himself. I also decided to check coffins online and found the same one for $3,000. That's what we used.

Quote Originally Posted by nmduke2001 View Post
    My father died recently. During the funeral arrangements my poor mother was bombarded with questions regarding the funeral. We settled on most things and I was astonished by how expensive everything was. When it was time to pick the coffin we went into the "coffin room". There were about 15 coffins to choose from. We picked a tasteful wooden coffin. I was shocked when the funeral director quoted me $6,200 for this wooden coffin. He then said that I would likely want a "coffin vault". Not knowing what that was, he showed me a modern coffin vault. Picture a long coffee table with four legs, but it is modeled in the shape of the top of a coffin. They place this plastic, four-legged thing over the coffin in the hole. Not knowing the purpose, I asked "what purpose does this serve?" His response, "it protects the coffin from getting damaged when you cover it with dirt". The price tag, $1,600. I told him that my dad was dead so I'm sure he didn't care if the coffin was damaged and unless something terrible happens, I'm not anticipating seeing the coffin again so no thanks. It's all I could do from telling him to go blank himself. I also decided to check coffins online and found the same one for $3,000. That's what we used.
    I went through the same thing when my father died last year. Lots of up selling from the funeral homes. We ultimately decided on creation but had some of the same price disparities based on the urn.

Quote Originally Posted by nmduke2001 View Post
    I am sorry for your loss and I absolutely agree with your feelings about this.

Quote Originally Posted by MartyClark View Post
    I went through the same thing when my father died last year. Lots of up selling from the funeral homes. We ultimately decided on creation but had some of the same price disparities based on the urn.
    We went the cremation route at my dad's request and we didn't bother with an urn. The director's face was priceless when I came back and asked to pick up my box of dad. It's OK, though. That was my dad's sense of humor. Our family's attitude is that dead is pretty much just dead. Reminisce all you want, but don't waste resources on the physical stuff.

I still think about my dad in some way nearly every day. I don't think or care about his remains at all.

I realize this puts me in a tiny minority of human kind, but there you are.

Quote Originally Posted by Phredd3 View Post
    We went the cremation route at my dad's request and we didn't bother with an urn. The director's face was priceless when I came back and asked to pick up my box of dad. It's OK, though. That was my dad's sense of humor. Our family's attitude is that dead is pretty much just dead. Reminisce all you want, but don't waste resources on the physical stuff.

I still think about my dad in some way nearly every day. I don't think or care about his remains at all.

I realize this puts me in a tiny minority of human kind, but there you are.
    I'm with you on this. I told my family to make me very crispy*, wait a few months, then take my ashes to the beach to dump them in the ocean. Then party and enjoy the beach.

*After I am officially declared deceased. Some members of my family are shady.

Mom and Dad had pre-planned and paid for their funerals. Dad was cremated and they did offer us a chance to pick out an urn. Some of them were unbelievably tasteless. I remember one that was waves and dolphins. We stayed with the basic box. Rather than each child just putting a bit of dirt in the grave, Brother Dave started filling it in - Sister Sue pointed out we wouldn't get a discount. (Yes, we are that kind of family.)

Two days after my mother was buried, Toby of the Fedora tried to come out to sell me a plot near my parent's plot. She said she was contacting all the children but, no, she only contacted the single one. She insisted that she needed to see me in person so I could sign off saying I refused the opportunity to reserve a plot near them. I got her off the phone by saying she could mail it to me and that I was going to be cremated and make my sisters keep me on their mantles. Never did get that letter.

People trying to sell you unnecessary items in a time of grief are the worst.

Quote Originally Posted by Phredd3 View Post
    ...I still think about my dad in some way nearly every day. I don't think or care about his remains at all. I realize this puts me in a tiny minority of human kind, but there you are.
    No, I'm with you. We had a similar experience when each parent died. My brothers seemed petrified by making the choices in burial styles but, even though I was pretty young, I knew that less was more, when it came to my parents. The are both at Arlington now and we stop in and knock on the vault door every so often.

Now, their wakes were two huge, boisterous, wonderful events Far more laughter than tears but tears nonetheless. Classic Irish.
    Nothing incites bodily violence quicker than a Duke fan turning in your direction and saying 'scoreboard.'

Quote Originally Posted by wavedukefan70s View Post
    I absolutely despise the new gas can spouts . I order non saftey spouts online . I may drill one out to see of that will work. I truly do not have time or patience durring a hurricane to fight a saftey nozzle .
    I don't see the issue with the cans. When I go to put gas in, I press the tab as I turn and it comes right off. When I go to pour gas in, I push a button as turn it up and the gas comes right out.

You also need those kids to get off your lawn? (And BigWaynes?)

Just put me in a Folgers can from Ralphs.

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Rosenrosen View Post
    Crocs.
    Gonna fight you on this one! Crocs saved me when I had plantar fasciitis. Love them! Yes, they are ugly, but they are comfortable. Love their flops, too.

But, not gonna go here:

04-croc-heels.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by aimo View Post
    Gonna fight you on this one! Crocs saved me when I had plantar fasciitis. Love them! Yes, they are ugly, but they are comfortable. Love their flops, too.

But, not gonna go here:

04-croc-heels.jpg
    Interesting. Those are what I have on right now.