Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by budwom View Post
    previous owner of my house died here from a hideous gas can mishap, but I don't know if it was government mandated or not. I suspect not. It was vented. Don't buy a vented gas can is my tip for today.
    The bad design is mandated so that the can closes automatically. This was started by the California Air Resources Board (CARB), which has had some benefits for our air quality here in CA, but creates all sorts of unintended consequences with their rules.

The goal of closing the can automatically is to prevent air pollution from fumes of evaporating gas when the can is left unattended by absent minded individuals that leave the caps off. The assumption is that we are all idiots and need to be protected from ourselves. The end result is that people spill gas all over the place using these badly design cans, essentially wiping out the gains of keeping the caps closed.

Safety issues are not the driver here. Gas cans, like many other items we use regularly, are inherently dangerous if not used properly and I am sure accidents still happen with the new gas cans.

New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley
    Quote Originally Posted by BigWayne View Post
    Safety issues are not the driver here. Gas cans, like many other items we use regularly, are inherently dangerous if not used properly and I am sure accidents still happen with the new gas cans.
    If you try to fill your lawn mower from one of the new safety cans, while chewing on a candy cigarette, your obituary will say you died from smoking.
    In reality you had a stress induced heart attack trying to have shorter grass.
    Q "Why do you like Duke, you didn't even go there." A "Because my art school didn't have a basketball team."

Quote Originally Posted by CameronBornAndBred View Post
    If you try to fill your lawn mower from one of the new safety cans, while chewing on a candy cigarette, your obituary will say you died from smoking.
    On the upside, this thread had the unintended consequence of me remembering that I had thought I had finally figured out how to "fix" my Costco gas can.

After about 20 minutes with a variety of power and hand tools, I have a working nozzle that still looks pretty much like it came from the store and doesn't leak.

The aftermarket ones I had previously tried all had trouble keeping a good seal at the base of the spout.

On the upside, this thread had the unintended consequence of me remembering that I had thought I had finally figured out how to "fix" my Costco gas can.
    Glad to help.

Unless it was all the rocks hoping to be adopted into the family as pets.

Tyler Hansborough.

Oh, sorry, wrong thread. This is for worst product not biggest tool. Excuse me.

CB2E198A-A7C2-4EF2-85EC-540894A7BEE4.jpg

So much wrong with this.

The bad design is mandated so that the can closes automatically. This was started by the California Air Resources Board (CARB), which has had some benefits for our air quality here in CA, but creates all sorts of unintended consequences with their rules.

The goal of closing the can automatically is to prevent air pollution from fumes of evaporating gas when the can is left unattended by absent minded individuals that leave the caps off. The assumption is that we are all idiots and need to be protected from ourselves. The end result is that people spill gas all over the place using these badly design cans, essentially wiping out the gains of keeping the caps closed.

For whatever it may be worth, the former owner of this house would presumably be alive if he had one of the new cans...but I certainly agree, you can't idiot proof everything...he was victimized by a somewhat unforeseen event, i.e. the hatchback on his car had a light bulb which evidently shorted and created a spark when he opened it...

Crocs.
    “Coach said no 3s.” - Zion on The Block

Men's flip-flops. Ain't nobody want to see your feet.

Quote Originally Posted by ClemmonsDevil View Post
    Boooooooo.

Government designed gas cans.
    The Ford Pinto and its fuel tank
    Rich
    "Failure is Not a Destination"
    Coach K on the Dan Patrick Show, December 22, 2016

Quote Originally Posted by ClemmonsDevil View Post
    I'd flame you, but that's just like your opinion, man.

I did expect better from you tho.

Quote Originally Posted by OldPhiKap View Post
    But does it come in crunchy for the true savages?

Quote Originally Posted by Rich View Post
    The Ford Pinto and its fuel tank
    That was bad, but at least it wasn't on purpose.

I absolutely despise the new gas can spouts . I order non saftey spouts online . I may drill one out to see of that will work. I truly do not have time or patience durring a hurricane to fight a saftey nozzle .

Any toy for infants or dogs that makes noise.

Quote Originally Posted by Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15 View Post
    I'd flame you, but that's just like your opinion, man.

I did expect better from you tho.
    I have demonstrated time and again that you should not expect highly of me. I'll buy you a beer next time I'm in Asheville.

Quote Originally Posted by OldPhiKap View Post
    Any toy for infants or dogs that makes noise.
    Yes! This.

When my kids were little my wife and I had a pact: "No toys that make noise."

Little squirts make enough noise all by themselves.
    "We are not provided with wisdom, we must discover it for ourselves, after a journey through the wilderness which no one else can take for us, an effort which no one can spare us, for our wisdom is the point of view from which we come at last to regard the world." --M. Proust