Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567
    Quote Originally Posted by dudog84 View Post
    Government of any size likes to spend your money. My burg has authorized a new bait shack design for $47,000, construction is expected to cost $865,000. Of course, it will now include a "covered pavilion". I guess our fishermen can't stand the weather (Any excuse to cue SRV).

Can't spread sporks, but great tune.

I'll put my 1976 Plymouth Valiant up against anything. 12 month warranty, the transmission failed at 13 months, the carburetor was designed wrong, never worked right, you had to back off the gas to initially accelerate.

The arm rest fell off in year one, and in year two (before I sold it) I was driving one day when the fabric on the ceiling fell on my head, I nearly drove off the road. I was so traumatized I haven't bought an American car since then even though I know they're much improved.

Quote Originally Posted by Acymetric View Post
    Can we not just do it in the pool?
    I'm sure that would be a lot of fun. Just don't let the kids see you.

Quote Originally Posted by budwom View Post
    I'll put my 1976 Plymouth Valiant up against anything. 12 month warranty, the transmission failed at 13 months, the carburetor was designed wrong, never worked right, you had to back off the gas to initially accelerate.

The arm rest fell off in year one, and in year two (before I sold it) I was driving one day when the fabric on the ceiling fell on my head, I nearly drove off the road. I was so traumatized I haven't bought an American car since then even though I know they're much improved.
    That happened with my brother's Plymouth Horizon TC3. Must be a Plymouth thing.

But somehow my mothers ‘64 Dodge Dart slant 6 ran forever. I think she may have changed the oil once.

Quote Originally Posted by aimo View Post
    They must have used cheap glue for their headliners. I have a bevy of older US made cars from GM. I'm not fanatical and recognize that quality was not the strong suit of the American makes at that time.

My father bought a Horizon brand new. I was driving it one night when I got pulled over by the police because one of the rear taillights wasn't working.
    The next day my dad told me to take it back to the dealership to get that repaired. I started the drive to the dealership but about five minutes into the drive the automatic transmission failed. I couldn't go faster than about ten miles per hour.
    When I finally got to the dealership, they asked me what I came for. I told them 'well... initially it was because the taillight didn't work, but now it's because it won't go faster than ten mph. '
    Oh, and the taillight issue was about the third thing that had already gone wrong in about two weeks.

He eventually got a full refund under the 'lemon law.' Yeah, the car was that bad.

Good news for me was that the car he bought thereafter was a Toyota sports car while name eludes me right now (something GT, maybe?). But it was good looking and pretty fast, and it had an awesome stereo system in it. So I have fond memories of that little Plymouth disaster, lol.

Quote Originally Posted by rsvman View Post
    My father bought a Horizon brand new. I was driving it one night when I got pulled over by the police because one of the rear taillights wasn't working.
    The next day my dad told me to take it back to the dealership to get that repaired. I started the drive to the dealership but about five minutes into the drive the automatic transmission failed. I couldn't go faster than about ten miles per hour.
    When I finally got to the dealership, they asked me what I came for. I told them 'well... initially it was because the taillight didn't work, but now it's because it won't go faster than ten mph. '
    Oh, and the taillight issue was about the third thing that had already gone wrong in about two weeks.

He eventually got a full refund under the 'lemon law.' Yeah, the car was that bad.

Good news for me was that the car he bought thereafter was a Toyota sports car while name eludes me right now (something GT, maybe?). But it was good looking and pretty fast, and it had an awesome stereo system in it. So I have fond memories of that little Plymouth disaster, lol.
    Oooh, I had a Horizon back in the day and it qualifies as my worst car ever. It would drive fine in cold weather, but died early and often in warm weather. By the time help arrived it was running okay again. They finally tracked the problem down to something (transistor?) in the ignition system that failed whenever its temperature got above about 80 degrees. So it was drive a while. Sit a while. Drive a while.

And then there was the time that it's water pump fell off.

Probably a Celica GT. One of my Pegram dorm mates had one of the '85 era.

Quote Originally Posted by Skydog View Post
    But somehow my mothers ‘64 Dodge Dart slant 6 ran forever. I think she may have changed the oil once.
    Ironically that's exactly why I bought that car..the slant six had a great reputation, and the '76 Valiant had that...the engine was fine (not the carburetor) but everything else was trash...

Quote Originally Posted by YmoBeThere View Post
    That was it! Thanks.

My (then) wife got a 76 or thereabouts Celica GT. Decent enough car with good gas mileage, which was very important at that time. Practically every one of that vintage had an outward dent in the hood on the driver’s side. It had a little bracket that automatically locked into place when the hood was opened. Unfortunately, it did not automatically release when the hood was closed, and was not strong enough to keep the hood from being closed. So it made a dent in the hood when the bracket bent.
    Last edited by TruBlu; 06-26-2021 at 06:56 PM. Reason: Unsure of exact year.

Oh my lord i bought a dodge Daytona TT in 1994 (plymouth lazer /mitsubishi eclipse).
    Warmed it up let it sit before i shut it off.all the rumored ways to take care of your turbo. Oil changed at 2500 miles.

I loved that car for 13000 painfully soul crushing anxiety ridden miles.
    You name it it broke 3 months of shop time .
    1.5 years later im upside-down with a clunker .young full of angst and rage
    Over my metallic green and gold stripped
    And accented rimmed beautiful monster .

If a vehichle could be a succubus that was it.
    I made my decision i was going to eat it
    Take the loss.
    Went to my toyota dealership bought a 4x4 toyota truck extended cab complete with the yoda gooch cooler vent.
    For those that dont know older toyota had a ac vent under the steering wheel
    That blew on your nether region .that was a invaluable feature .

A week later i dropped the Daytona off
    At the dodge dealer with keys .
    Told them to keep it.

Walked out never turned back .

Hurt my credit for a while but was the best decision for that car.
    At some point tbe warranty would run out
    And i would be stuck rebuildung a automobile one part or more at a time.

I will never buy a dodge again .im a toyota guy for life .

Quote Originally Posted by wavedukefan70s View Post

They say the best way to eat a car is one bolt at a time.

I was so frustrated that i may have tried to in a few more months.
    No way that car lived to 100k miles.

Quote Originally Posted by wavedukefan70s View Post
    Oh my lord i bought a dodge Daytona TT in 1994 (plymouth lazer /mitsubishi eclipse).
    Warmed it up let it sit before i shut it off.all the rumored ways to take care of your turbo. Oil changed at 2500 miles.

I loved that car for 13000 painfully soul crushing anxiety ridden miles.
    You name it it broke 3 months of shop time .
    1.5 years later im upside-down with a clunker .young full of angst and rage

If a vehichle could be a succubus that was it.
    Take the loss.
    Went to my toyota dealership bought a 4x4 toyota truck extended cab complete with the yoda gooch cooler vent.
    For those that dont know older toyota had a ac vent under the steering wheel
    That blew on your nether region .that was a invaluable feature .

A week later i dropped the Daytona off
    At the dodge dealer with keys .
    Told them to keep it.

Walked out never turned back .

Hurt my credit for a while but was the best decision for that car.
    At some point tbe warranty would run out

I will never buy a dodge again .im a toyota guy for life .
    Halfway through this I thought I was reading poetry. Ulysses-ish.
    young full of angst and rage

a la Klinger?

My father bought a Horizon brand new. ...
    My father sold me his Plymouth Horizon back in the day for $1 as my first car. I think he got the better end of the deal.

That was it! Thanks.
    I have a 95 Celica GT convertible in my garage. Make an offer!!!

I have a 95 Celica GT convertible in my garage. Make an offer!!!
    https://sfbay.craigslist.org/sby/cto...334657663.html