Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Rich View Post
    For that price they should throw in Peter Gabriel
    While at Duke, I went to see Genesis at (clutch your pearls) the Dean Dome, approx 1987-8, with a couple of fellow Dukies / longtime fans. I didn't know their catalog from the Steve Hackett / Peter Gabriel days, despite formative years in a market (Detroit) with four AOR stations. Prog rock was not unheard of (especially when the DJ needed to go to the bathroom) but still a niche thing there. Anyway, I really only knew their Phil Collins "fronted" tunes, and even then, probably only from 1980 on. But I respected my friends' knowledge.

After playing a few crowd-pleasing 80s hits, the band paid homage to the past with a medley from their 70s stuff, from Trick of the Tail, Selling England by the Pound, Nursery Cryme, etc. My buddies were initially pleased, though maybe not quite elated since they knew the older songs were going to get the Cliff's Notes treatment. But shortly after the medley began, some teen girls in front of our row started talking among themselves: "I don't know this one, do you?" "Me neither." "Oh well - so, did he ask you OUT???" and they proceeded to talk loudly about their crushes for the next few minutes. My buddies were beside themselves. Not knowing the classics so well that they were ruined for me, I got through it OK.

Quote Originally Posted by cspan37421 View Post
    While at Duke, I went to see Genesis at (clutch your pearls) the Dean Dome, approx 1987-8, with a couple of fellow Dukies / longtime fans. I didn't know their catalog from the Steve Hackett / Peter Gabriel days, despite formative years in a market (Detroit) with four AOR stations. Prog rock was not unheard of (especially when the DJ needed to go to the bathroom) but still a niche thing there. Anyway, I really only knew their Phil Collins "fronted" tunes, and even then, probably only from 1980 on. But I respected my friends' knowledge.

After playing a few crowd-pleasing 80s hits, the band paid homage to the past with a medley from their 70s stuff, from Trick of the Tail, Selling England by the Pound, Nursery Cryme, etc. My buddies were initially pleased, though maybe not quite elated since they knew the older songs were going to get the Cliff's Notes treatment. But shortly after the medley began, some teen girls in front of our row started talking among themselves: "I don't know this one, do you?" "Me neither." "Oh well - so, did he ask you OUT???" and they proceeded to talk loudly about their crushes for the next few minutes. My buddies were beside themselves. Not knowing the classics so well that they were ruined for me, I got through it OK.
    I was at one of those shows. They opened with Mama, which was pretty cool. Fall of '87.

add "smart thermostats" to the list:https://www.usatoday.com/story/tech/...hy/7754658002/

Just another of dozens of reasons why I love my "dumb" controls...

Quote Originally Posted by budwom View Post
    add "smart thermostats" to the list:https://www.usatoday.com/story/tech/...hy/7754658002/

Just another of dozens of reasons why I love my "dumb" controls...
    What an oddly specific range:

“Diamond also said events like this are rare, possibly two to eight times each summer.”

Quote Originally Posted by bundabergdevil View Post
    What an oddly specific range:

“Diamond also said events like this are rare, possibly two to eight times each summer.”
    that's funny. Will they also shut off your fridge if they think you're eating too much?

that's funny. Will they also shut off your fridge if they think you're eating too much?
    You could probably make good money offering that service.

Quote Originally Posted by bundabergdevil View Post
    You could probably make good money offering that service.
    or they could make you lighter by screwing with your digital scale...

Quote Originally Posted by Edouble View Post
    I really hate household cleaning "systems" where you have to continually feed the system (purchase the disposable items that make the system operate) until they stop making said system and you have to purchase the next system.

eg Swiffer Wetjet... what is wrong with a mop and a bucket? It will last you 50 years.
    Mrs. Neals isn't able to life a bucket and mop...at least that's what she says. But she will push her Swiffer Wet Jet around like there's no tomorrow. Since I don't like mopping, SWJ is on my "best products" list!

Dashboard idiot lights. Since the cars all have code reader outlets and know exactly what's wrong, why can't they simply post the actual error code on your entertainment screen, along with an English translation of the code.

I moved. Now 12 miles from Heaven, 13 from Hell
    Quote Originally Posted by Neals384 View Post
    Dashboard idiot lights. Since the cars all have code reader outlets and know exactly what's wrong, why can't they simply post the actual error code on your entertainment screen, along with an English translation of the code.
    Because then you would have to go to the dealer to get it checked/fixed.

Since we are on the topic of cars:
    Anything in a vehicle that controls temp or volume that is not a knob. I’ll make an exception for the old old school sliders.

Quote Originally Posted by Kdogg View Post
    Anything in a vehicle that controls temp or volume that is not a knob. I’ll make an exception for the old old school sliders.
    But I'm not a fan of the uni-knobs where you have to glare at a screen to figure out what function you're performing...

But I'm not a fan of the uni-knobs where you have to glare at a screen to figure out what function you're performing...
    Those monstrosities can ruin otherwise excellent cars. Same with the joysticks. Who designs that stuff?

Quote Originally Posted by Kdogg View Post
    Completely agree. I do not own a car - I rent or use ZipCar so I am using many different types of cars. I am extremely non tech/gadget savvy so I believe in the old saying "keep it simple stupid". In their efforts to be innovative, some car makers have created the most counter-intuitive ways to do things.

Quote Originally Posted by CrazyNotCrazie View Post
    Completely agree. I do not own a car - I rent or use ZipCar so I am using many different types of cars. I am extremely non tech/gadget savvy so I believe in the old saying "keep it simple stupid". In their efforts to be innovative, some car makers have created the most counter-intuitive ways to do things.
    Whatever happened to Human Factors Engineering? Is that not a thing any more?

And let me add another so-called "improvement" that I hate - the switch to narrow/self-hiding/essentially invisible scroll bars! Argggg... How the f does that help? I'm always trying to find the damn things.

And get off my lawn!

Quote Originally Posted by Skydog View Post
    Whatever happened to Human Factors Engineering? Is that not a thing any more?

And let me add another so-called "improvement" that I hate - the switch to narrow/self-hiding/essentially invisible scroll bars! Argggg... How the f does that help? I'm always trying to find the damn things.

And get off my lawn!
    Now they are calling it UX... user experience.

Those #%@&ing bits of soldered-on foil hiding under the caps of gallons of milk that rarely come off correctly.
    “Coach said no 3s.” - Zion on The Block

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Rosenrosen View Post
    Those #%@&ing bits of soldered-on foil hiding under the caps of gallons of milk that rarely come off correctly.
    We have a winner!

I did encounter a nice product today, a bear proof trash can at a park in Stowe, very clever.

I did encounter a nice product today, a bear proof trash can at a park in Stowe, very clever.
    One of man's greatest inventions...

Our town started distributing bear proof trash barrels this winter. Before then trash day was the official bear buffet in the neighborhood. Since pickup is at 7:00 am I can now put the trash out the night before. No more setting the alarm, sleeping through it, and then rushing out at the last minute only to see the truck driving away without the week's trash.

Section 15