Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Most despicable product of all time

The cigs, baby oil & iodine thread made me think of this. I'm not talking about a product found to be dangerous after it was firmly entrenched in society (cigarettes) or a product with not-well-thought-out implications (Jarts...sigh, I loved that game...kids throwing steel tipped missiles around the yard, who coulda thunk of any unintended consequences?).

My nomination: candy/gum cigarettes. Even came in a nice realistic carton, so you could pretend you were smoking until you were old enough to scrounge up the real thing.

BTW, you can still buy these things.

What's your favorite SMH product?

Quote Originally Posted by dudog84 View Post
    The cigs, baby oil & iodine thread made me think of this. I'm not talking about a product found to be dangerous after it was firmly entrenched in society (cigarettes) or a product with not-well-thought-out implications (Jarts...sigh, I loved that game...kids throwing steel tipped missiles around the yard, who coulda thunk of any unintended consequences?).

My nomination: candy/gum cigarettes. Even came in a nice realistic carton, so you could pretend you were smoking until you were old enough to scrounge up the real thing.

UNC merchandise. Propaganda promoting cheaters, liars and Silent Sam.
    Man, if your Mom made you wear that color when you were a baby, and you're still wearing it, it's time to grow up!

Quote Originally Posted by dudog84 View Post

99% of toys they market to kids via ads on kid shows. Most of these toys have little value and my kids just stop playing with them after a day or so. But they HAVE to have them for Christmas, birthdays, etc.

I really hate household cleaning "systems" where you have to continually feed the system (purchase the disposable items that make the system operate) until they stop making said system and you have to purchase the next system.

eg Swiffer Wetjet... what is wrong with a mop and a bucket? It will last you 50 years.
    Hard at work making beautiful things.

Reminds me of this SNL sketch

Rich
    "Failure is Not a Destination"
    Coach K on the Dan Patrick Show, December 22, 2016

New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley
    Quote Originally Posted by LasVegas View Post
    99% of toys they market to kids via ads on kid shows. Most of these toys have little value and my kids just stop playing with them after a day or so. But they HAVE to have them for Christmas, birthdays, etc.
    80% of toys ARE kid shows.

01_Optimus_Prime_8.jpg

PS, Transformers are far from despicable. They've probably birthed a few genius engineers along the way. My Little Pony, however, can rot in equestrian hell.
    Q "Why do you like Duke, you didn't even go there." A "Because my art school didn't have a basketball team."

"toy" guns

or cigs...
    "One POSSIBLE future. From your point of view... I don't know tech stuff.".... Kyle Reese

Quote Originally Posted by Rich View Post
    Reminds me of this SNL sketch

And this one. Products include Johnny Switchblade Adventure Punk doll, Bag O'Glass and Teddy Chainsaw Bear. A later Halloween costume sketch with Irwin (brilliantly played by Dan Akroyd) included Johnny Human Torch kit (a bunch of oily rags and a lighter) and Johnny Space Commander (a plastic bag to go over your head and a rubber band).

https://youtu.be/veMiNQifZcM

Pet rocks. Mood rings. Chia anythings.

Quote Originally Posted by luvdahops View Post
    And this one. Products include Johnny Switchblade Adventure Punk doll, Bag O'Glass and Teddy Chainsaw Bear. A later Halloween costume sketch with Irwin (brilliantly played by Dan Akroyd) included Johnny Human Torch kit (a bunch of oily rags and a lighter) and Johnny Space Commander (a plastic bag to go over your head and a rubber band).

https://youtu.be/veMiNQifZcM
    EXACTLY where my mind went.

Quote Originally Posted by moonpie23 View Post
    "toy" guns
    I was going to say UNC merchandise, but someone beat me to it...

after that I think realistic looking toy guns is way up there on the list. I'm not talking about the neon colored squirt guns, but ones like the real thing. I'm ashamed to say I bullied my parents into getting one of these. They were AWESOME! But now as a parent, they are so so wrong.

Pet Rocks. Seriously.

No one ever went broke underestimating the taste of the American public.

Radithor and other radium cures probably should be among those considered for this title.

Government designed gas cans.

New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley
    Quote Originally Posted by MartyClark View Post
    Pet rocks.
    Quote Originally Posted by jimsumner View Post
    Pet Rocks. Seriously.
    Mine hasn't died yet, so it's got that going for it.

However...remember the "Invisible dog" leash? Ha! Suckers!
    Q "Why do you like Duke, you didn't even go there." A "Because my art school didn't have a basketball team."

Quote Originally Posted by BigWayne View Post
    Wayne wins.

Quote Originally Posted by CameronBornAndBred View Post
    Mine hasn't died yet, so it's got that going for it.

However...remember the "Invisible dog" leash? Ha! Suckers!
    I decided to domesticate a wild rock instead of purchasing one. Worked out well until it ran away. I'm sure it is still living a happy life somewhere in Seoul.

Quote Originally Posted by DukieInKansas View Post
    I decided to domesticate a wild rock instead of purchasing one. Worked out well until it ran away. I'm sure it is still living a happy life somewhere in Seoul.
    Sporked!

Quote Originally Posted by BigWayne View Post
    previous owner of my house died here from a hideous gas can mishap, but I don't know if it was government mandated or not. I suspect not. It was vented. Don't buy a vented gas can is my tip for today.

The bass-o-matic! This 59-second video will explain the whole thing!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2HKTx5WFcs0
    "We are not provided with wisdom, we must discover it for ourselves, after a journey through the wilderness which no one else can take for us, an effort which no one can spare us, for our wisdom is the point of view from which we come at last to regard the world." --M. Proust