Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast
Results 61 to 80 of 101
  1. #61
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Steamboat Springs, CO
    Quote Originally Posted by Faustus View Post
    I haven't read all of this thread, but in general I don't like re-naming places unless there's a good reason to eject a previous name. Were Eddie's accomplishments greater than K's? Of course not, but the decision honoring him was made and should stay that way, and other ways can be done to honor K more (the court probably is enough for me, the tower of offices could be too perhaps.

    Some years ago I remember reading that Northwestern erased the long-time name of their football stadium, Ryan Stadium, to be named for someone else who'd recently dropped a bundle of $$$ on the school, when presumably Ryan was supposed to be honored indefinitely... not when some rich guy ousts you, I guess. Ga Tech has recently done this for their bball arena, which did get greatly renovated, but still... I really hate these 'naming rights' of stadiums who change names of corporate sponsors every few years. What if this happened to Fenway Park or Madison Square Garden? And please spare us from places like the Yum! Center in Louisville. Can you imagine an Oxford or Cambridge college renaming for some recent fat donor, erasing, say, Lady Margaret Hall which would now be Dunkin' DoNuts College? (OK... true, this very thing happened HERE, when Trinity College becomes Duke University, but you get my drift...) Some things should remain sacred in the traditions of the sporting world, and Coach K Court is enough for geezers like me. Just don't re-name THAT down the road.

    P.S., I would guess K would not want that change either.
    Here's an example from the arts: What is now "David Geffen Hall" at Lincoln Center in NYC:
    The facility... was originally named Philharmonic Hall and was renamed Avery Fisher Hall in honor of philanthropist Avery Fisher, who donated $10.5 million ($61 million today) to the orchestra in 1973. In November 2014, Lincoln Center officials announced Fisher's name would be removed from the Hall so that naming rights could be sold to the highest bidder as part of a $500 million fund-raising campaign to refurbish the Hall. In 2015, the hall was renamed David Geffen Hall after Geffen donated $100 million to the Lincoln Center.
    Sage Grouse

    ---------------------------------------
    'When I got on the bus for my first road game at Duke, I saw that every player was carrying textbooks or laptops. I coached in the SEC for 25 years, and I had never seen that before, not even once.' - David Cutcliffe to Duke alumni in Washington, DC, June 2013

  2. #62
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    North of Durham
    Quote Originally Posted by sagegrouse View Post
    Here's an example from the arts: What is now "David Geffen Hall" at Lincoln Center in NYC:
    Sage provides probably the best (or worst) example of a name change. I believe a lot of litigation and/or discussion was involved in making this happen.

    I was always curious about the name change of all Duke fan's favorite arena in NJ. It was originally called Brendan Byrne in honor of the governor of NJ at the time it opened. But in the mid-90s, while Byrne was still alive, they sold the name to Continental Airlines, which I thought was in poor taste.

    Here in NY there have been efforts to rename various roads and bridges after elected officials, but most people strongly resist the change - the Tappan Zee Bridge is now the Mario Cuomo Bridge (it theoretically is a new physical bridge but people particularly resist because Andrew named it after his dad, who was generally more beloved than Andrew now is), the Brooklyn-Battery Tunnel is the Hugh Carey Tunnel and the 59th Street Bridge, whose proper name was always actually the Queensboro Bridge, is the Ed Koch Queensboro Bridge. One will rarely hear traffic reporters or anyone else use these names.

  3. #63
    Quote Originally Posted by AtlBluRew View Post
    I love the idea of a statue. I hate the idea of renaming CIS.
    Same for me. I also kinda wonder if K would object to renaming Cameron?
    Nothing incites bodily violence quicker than a Duke fan turning in your direction and saying 'scoreboard.'

  4. #64
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Washington, DC area
    Well, Julian's poll is currently running more than 2 to 1 against.

    -jk

  5. #65
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Vermont
    Quote Originally Posted by CrazyNotCrazie View Post
    Sage provides probably the best (or worst) example of a name change. I believe a lot of litigation and/or discussion was involved in making this happen.

    I was always curious about the name change of all Duke fan's favorite arena in NJ. It was originally called Brendan Byrne in honor of the governor of NJ at the time it opened. But in the mid-90s, while Byrne was still alive, they sold the name to Continental Airlines, which I thought was in poor taste.

    Here in NY there have been efforts to rename various roads and bridges after elected officials, but most people strongly resist the change - the Tappan Zee Bridge is now the Mario Cuomo Bridge (it theoretically is a new physical bridge but people particularly resist because Andrew named it after his dad, who was generally more beloved than Andrew now is), the Brooklyn-Battery Tunnel is the Hugh Carey Tunnel and the 59th Street Bridge, whose proper name was always actually the Queensboro Bridge, is the Ed Koch Queensboro Bridge. One will rarely hear traffic reporters or anyone else use these names.
    I recall lots and lots of hooting and derision when Brendan Byrne arena was first opened...it wasn't like he was some celebrated historical figure...

  6. #66
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    San Francisco
    Quote Originally Posted by budwom View Post
    The good folks in the Development Office will be all over this. No, Cameron won't be renamed, but a $10 million donor will be found to fund the new Michael J. Krzyzewski Learning Center at Duke University. What they decide to put in it remains to be seen. No way they let this obvious opportunity slip away, they are human beavers.
    The price tag for funding that Center would likely be substantially more than $10M.

  7. #67
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Outside Philly
    Quote Originally Posted by -jk View Post
    Well, Julian's poll is currently running more than 2 to 1 against.

    -jk
    The title of the article is certainly misleading. Heís obviously a proponent and using his platform to lobby?


    Iím on record for stupidly big statue. Just have a hard time imagining K would even want CIS changed.

    Iíd say name a leadership center after him but FUQUA already did that.

  8. #68
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Steamboat Springs, CO
    Quote Originally Posted by bundabergdevil View Post
    The title of the article is certainly misleading. Heís obviously a proponent and using his platform to lobby?


    Iím on record for stupidly big statue. Just have a hard time imagining K would even want CIS changed.

    Iíd say name a leadership center after him but FUQUA already did that.
    I doubt we can get a straight story out of Iron Dukes or Duke Development, but my rule of thumb would be "Statues for Heroes, Buildings for Donors."

    Kindly,
    Sage
    'Now we do have the Brodhead Center and the residential quadrangles named for former Duke presidents. Maybe Brodhead would rather be honored in dining rather than in snoozing'
    Sage Grouse

    ---------------------------------------
    'When I got on the bus for my first road game at Duke, I saw that every player was carrying textbooks or laptops. I coached in the SEC for 25 years, and I had never seen that before, not even once.' - David Cutcliffe to Duke alumni in Washington, DC, June 2013

  9. #69
    How about changing West Campus to K Campus?

  10. #70
    Join Date
    Feb 2018
    Location
    Durham, NC
    Quote Originally Posted by CrazyNotCrazie View Post
    Here in NY there have been efforts to rename various roads and bridges after elected officials, but most people strongly resist the change - the Tappan Zee Bridge is now the Mario Cuomo Bridge (it theoretically is a new physical bridge but people particularly resist because Andrew named it after his dad, who was generally more beloved than Andrew now is), the Brooklyn-Battery Tunnel is the Hugh Carey Tunnel and the 59th Street Bridge, whose proper name was always actually the Queensboro Bridge, is the Ed Koch Queensboro Bridge. One will rarely hear traffic reporters or anyone else use these names.
    Maybe I'm just a stick-in-the-mud, but I just can't see myself humming along to the strains of the Ed Koch Queensboro Bridge Song. That just doesn't feel groovy to me.

  11. #71
    Quote Originally Posted by Phredd3 View Post
    Maybe I'm just a stick-in-the-mud, but I just can't see myself humming along to the strains of the Ed Koch Queensboro Bridge Song. That just doesn't feel groovy to me.
    Your just a stick in the mud. 😀😎

  12. #72
    Why just one building? How about renaming the whole athletic campus on West Campus as the Krzyzewski Athletics Campus?

  13. #73
    How about we change the name of the student fans to the Cameron Krazyz? And a statue.

  14. #74
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Boston, MA
    Quote Originally Posted by quahog174 View Post
    How about we change the name of the student fans to the Cameron Krazyz? And a statue.
    Sounds like a Krispy Kreme take on a Polish Donut...
    Criticism may not be agreeable, but it is necessary. It fulfils the same function as pain in the human body. It calls attention to an unhealthy state of things. - Winston Churchill

    President of the "Nolan Smith Should Have His Jersey in The Rafters" Club

  15. #75
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Chesapeake, VA.
    Quote Originally Posted by Faustus View Post
    Can you imagine an Oxford or Cambridge college renaming for some recent fat donor, erasing, say, Lady Margaret Hall which would now be Dunkin' DoNuts College? ....
    Maybe not Oxford or Cambridge, but an American University? Sadly, I actually CAN imagine that happening. Doesn't seem all that far-fetched to me. Although I would have to correct you a little bit: not even "Dunkin' Donuts" itself is called "Dunkin' Donuts" anymore; they changed their corporate name to "Dunkin." Yeah, they got rid of the donuts entirely, at least in the name. You could look it up, I ain't lyin'.

    Oh, and while I'm at it, "Dominos Pizza," similarly, is now simply "Dominos."
    "We are not provided with wisdom, we must discover it for ourselves, after a journey through the wilderness which no one else can take for us, an effort which no one can spare us, for our wisdom is the point of view from which we come at last to regard the world." --M. Proust

  16. #76
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Watching carolina Go To HELL!
    Quote Originally Posted by Bay Area Duke Fan View Post
    The price tag for funding that Center would likely be substantially more than $10M.
    That $10M will buy my two tickets to next seasonís last home game. PM me for my banking coordinates. Nigerian princes need not apply.
    Ozzie, your paradigm of optimism!

    Go To Hell carolina, Go To Hell!
    9F 9F 9F
    http://www.EGLEW.com


  17. #77
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Vermont
    Quote Originally Posted by Bay Area Duke Fan View Post
    The price tag for funding that Center would likely be substantially more than $10M.
    Maybe, but since we don't even know what it is yet, it's tough to come up with a number, so I thought $10 million was a nice round one.

  18. #78
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    The 'burbs of Cary
    With all due respect to the man who saw the appeal of both an ex-tobacco town and Duke University many years ago, not just "no"...but "hell no!". He has been honored and will continue to be honored in other ways. I really like the statue idea though.

  19. #79
    Quote Originally Posted by MarkD83 View Post
    This suggestion would spoil the undergraduates but how about making K-ville a building and not a field. The Coach K statue could be on the Cameron end of the building as you enter the CIS. The permanent building could be an open concept and students could bring in cots...
    I agree w this. It should be located inside Cameron. Donít place it outside. Too much of an invitation for vandalism if placed in the plaza. My guess is that K will shoot it down as long as possible.

  20. #80
    This thread considers appropriate ways to honor Coach K, the reticence to change things, the awkward sound of long concatenated names, the brand value of Cameron Indoor Stadium (Note to broadcasters...call it "Cameron" for short, or use the full name...but "Cameron Indoor" is not appropriate - my pet peeve!) and other aspects of this renaming proposal.

    But what I do not see discussed is the reason Eddie Cameron was honored in the first place.

    He served Duke athletics for 44 years. He was basketball coach from 1928-1942. His 226 wins are second to K, but note that his win total exceeded the first 14 Duke basketball coaches previous to him by nearly 40 wins. When Wallace Wade left Duke for WWII, he took over football HC duties and went 25-11-1. He was the AD from 1951 - 1972. In that capacity he was a leading light for the creation of the ACC and for developing the Duke culture.

    Simply stated, he deserved the honor then and now of having the facility bear his name.

    His contribution was foundational to what Duke has become.

    Having said that, Coach K deserves many laurels and accolades. I look forward to seeing what is to come!

Similar Threads

  1. DVR thoughts
    By 365Duke in forum Off Topic
    Replies: 20
    Last Post: 03-10-2008, 11:51 PM
  2. Green in Cameron -- Discussion of taking action in Cameron ONLY
    By dukeENG2003 in forum Elizabeth King Forum
    Replies: 121
    Last Post: 01-31-2008, 11:38 PM
  3. Renaming hyperlinks
    By Karl Beem in forum Off Topic
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 07-31-2007, 09:14 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •