Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast
    One other tidbit. Coach K has 1083 wins at Duke.
    The total Duke win count is 2176.

With 10 more wins this season, K will account for exactly half of the all time wins at Duke!

Short of some catastrophe, he will retire with over half of Duke's all time wins.

Pretty stout!

Quote Originally Posted by Atldukie79 View Post
    This thread considers appropriate ways to honor Coach K, the reticence to change things, the awkward sound of long concatenated names, the brand value of Cameron Indoor Stadium (Note to broadcasters...call it "Cameron" for short, or use the full name...but "Cameron Indoor" is not appropriate - my pet peeve!) and other aspects of this renaming proposal.

But what I do not see discussed is the reason Eddie Cameron was honored in the first place.

He served Duke athletics for 44 years. He was basketball coach from 1928-1942. His 226 wins are second to K, but note that his win total exceeded the first 14 Duke basketball coaches previous to him by nearly 40 wins. When Wallace Wade left Duke for WWII, he took over football HC duties and went 25-11-1. He was the AD from 1951 - 1972. In that capacity he was a leading light for the creation of the ACC and for developing the Duke culture.

Simply stated, he deserved the honor then and now of having the facility bear his name.

His contribution was foundational to what Duke has become.

Having said that, Coach K deserves many laurels and accolades. I look forward to seeing what is to come!
    Yes- Cameron made Duke sports. I honestly believe K would say no to naming the stadium after him. Perhaps if they ever tear down Cameron to build a new 20,000 seat stadium- perhaps - but that is also unlikely.

Quote Originally Posted by devilirium View Post
    I agree w this. It should be located inside Cameron. Don’t place it outside. Too much of an invitation for vandalism if placed in the plaza. My guess is that K will shoot it down as long as possible.
    Indeed, statues outside are wide open for, um, different re-interpretations. I still remember, decades ago (early 70s), there'd been yet another news story about UFO sightings, and a student (I know who he was, not me... who went on to become a respected doctor, I believe) late that night covered the Buck Duke statue in front of the Chapel with tin foil, put rabbit ear aerials on his head, fixed two paper cups over his eyes to make bigger, googlier ones, and hung a sign over his shoulders that said, "Greetings, Earthlings." AP picked it up and the photo even made the NY Times.

So yes, keep a Coach K statue inside, and away from pigeons, too.

Quote Originally Posted by Faustus View Post
    Indeed, statues outside are wide open for, um, different re-interpretations. I still remember, decades ago (early 70s), there'd been yet another news story about UFO sightings, and a student (I know who he was, not me... who went on to become a respected doctor, I believe) late that night covered the Buck Duke statue in front of the Chapel with tin foil, put rabbit ear aerials on his head, fixed two paper cups over his eyes to make bigger, googlier ones, and hung a sign over his shoulders that said, "Greetings, Earthlings." AP picked it up and the photo even made the NY Times.

So yes, keep a Coach K statue inside, and away from pigeons, too.
    You mean this statue?:

file_alien-jbd-ec5231fa_display.jpg

Most of the country’s great universities were named after rich and powerful men. For goodness sake, the best college of all time was named after tobacco monopolists.

Since the great university names are basically taken, the various grad/professional schools are wide open and quickly being taken. Sports stadiums would be an easy call. If Ms. Gates gave $1b to her alma mater, the school would rename the stadium after K, Melinda, or anything her kids or pr team came up with. Ideally, it wouldn’t involve a hyphen, but fortunately (or unfortunately), I don’t think she cares about seeing her name plastered on Cameron.

Optics and fairness would enter into the naming discussion, as would our preferences, but I’m skeptical that these would carry the day.

Quote Originally Posted by DoubleBlue View Post
    That is brilliant!

Quote Originally Posted by DoubleBlue View Post
    As an undergrad that fall of 1974, after a Friday night club football game, I kept my shoulder pads and helmet on and my roommate wrapped me completely in aluminum foil. I wandered around West Campus for a
    couple of hours, through the Union building, Perkins Library and many dorms. Fun times!
    Ozzie, your paradigm of optimism!

Go To Hell carolina, Go To Hell!
    9F 9F 9F
    https://ecogreen.greentechaffiliate.com

Yes!!! That's it!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by DeweyDevil View Post
    How about a statue tall enough to be seen from Chapel Hill?
    how about a statue IN chapel hill.?????
    "One POSSIBLE future. From your point of view... I don't know tech stuff.".... Kyle Reese

Quote Originally Posted by moonpie23 View Post
    No need. He is already living rent-free in all their heads anyway.
    "We are not provided with wisdom, we must discover it for ourselves, after a journey through the wilderness which no one else can take for us, an effort which no one can spare us, for our wisdom is the point of view from which we come at last to regard the world." --M. Proust

Quote Originally Posted by Atldukie79 View Post

Having said that, Coach K deserves many laurels and accolades. I look forward to seeing what is to come!
    At a minimum someone should bake him a cake.

Quote Originally Posted by Edouble View Post
    If Cameron were to be renamed, which I am very much not in favor of, I would hope that Duke would just rename our venue Krzyzewski Indoor Stadium, not Cameron-Krzyzewski Indoor Stadium.

IMHO the hyphenated names are the worst: a huge indecisive mouthful. If you want to name a building after someone and knock off the last guy, do it, but the hyphenated version is so half-hearted. Who wants a building half named after themselves?

Also, food for thought, and not opening up a goat debate, but Pauley Pavilion (also a cool name IMO, rolls off the tongue like Cameron Indoor Stadium) is not Pauley-Wooden Pavilion.
    Since Pauley was the major donor, there may have been a written agreement that he would always have what are now called naming rights. Nevertheless, the arena is now Pauley Pavilion presented by Wescom, which is a credit union and financial services company. Does that stink or what?

I hope we never get to Cameron Indoor Stadium presented by Bank of America.

Change Towerview or Whitford to “Coach K Way”

Quote Originally Posted by moonpie23 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by rsvman View Post
    No need. He is already living rent-free in all their heads anyway.
    Assist, and flush.

Credit David Rubenstein for the great lobby on the Wallace Wade side of Cameron! David Rubenstein has been one of the most prolific donors to Duke University besides the Duke family and Duke Endowment. Like me he was a fan of Art Heyman. Besides the scholarship offers Heyman was why he wanted to go to Duke.
    Last edited by heyman25; 06-10-2021 at 10:53 PM. Reason: adding a thought.

Quote Originally Posted by heyman25 View Post
    Credit David Rubenstein for the great lobby on the Wallace Wade side of Cameron! David Rubenstein has been one of the most prolific donors to Duke University besides the Duke family and Duke Endowment. Like me he was a fan of Art Heyman. Besides the scholarship offers Heyman was why he wanted to go to Duke.
    Heyman graduated from Duke three years before Rubenstein became a Duke student. Surprising that Heyman would have been a factor in his decision to attend Duke. Having known Heyman at Duke, it’s also a bit strange for me to see his name in the same sentence as “scholarship.”

I knew Dave pretty well at Duke, did not know about the Heyman connection (not that I dispute it).

I heard Rubenstein mention Art Heyman in an interview in regards to his decision to enroll at Duke. The scholarship was the student aid Rubenstein got to enroll at Duke.Perhaps it was not a scholarship, just a grant towards tuition.

Quote Originally Posted by heyman25 View Post
    I heard Rubenstein mention Art Heyman in an interview in regards to his decision to enroll at Duke. The scholarship was the student aid Rubenstein got to enroll at Duke.Perhaps it was not a scholarship, just a grant towards tuition.
    David's father was a postal worker in Baltimore. He came to Duke with a lot of scholarship support.

When Rubenstein does public speaking, he often relates his life story -- amazing, but entertaining as all get-out.
    Sage Grouse

---------------------------------------
    'When I got on the bus for my first road game at Duke, I saw that every player was carrying textbooks or laptops. I coached in the SEC for 25 years, and I had never seen that before, not even once.' - David Cutcliffe to Duke alumni in Washington, DC, June 2013

Duke Walk of Fame?

As per alternate ways of honoring Coach K...

I wouldn't mind seeing something like a Hollywood Walk of Fame type presentation on the 'Mall" between Cameron and Wallace Wade where a few prominent Coaches/Players get honored (has to be while they are with us) with their feet and hands solidified in a block of cement. This would give some piece of themselves left at the place where they plied their trade. Of course, Coach K's might be at the head of Krzyzewskiville

Larry
    DevilHorse