Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thoughts on Renaming Cameron

I owe so much to Coach K. I recently turned 50 and have been a Duke hoops nerd since 1978 at age 7 (b/c my dad was Duke Class of 57). I'm Duke Class of '93. Coach K and Duke basketball have provided me (and countless others) 5 million tons of joy. But I personally don't suggest renaming Cameron to Cameron-Krzyzewski Indoor Stadium.

Coach K court? Perfectly done. Krzyzewskiville? Love it. Basically honoring Coach K by putting his name on almost any thing is great as far as I'm concerned.

As a juliovison and DBR addict for decades, I rarely disagree with their suggestions...but here's my 5 cents: Keep Cameron's name the way it is.

Not that I hate the thought of renaming Cameron. It wouldn't even piss me off. But if it were up to me...stick with CIS.

Marc

PS Thanks to all who started and continue to run DBR. You guys are great.

New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley
    Catch us up...who wants to rename the greatest building in college sports?
    Q "Why do you like Duke, you didn't even go there." A "Because my art school didn't have a basketball team."

I moved. Now 12 miles from Heaven, 13 from Hell
    Quote Originally Posted by MarcStarnes View Post
    I owe so much to Coach K. I recently turned 50 and have been a Duke hoops nerd since 1978 at age 7 (b/c my dad was Duke Class of 57). I'm Duke Class of '93. Coach K and Duke basketball have provided me (and countless others) 5 million tons of joy. But I personally don't suggest renaming Cameron to Cameron-Krzyzewski Indoor Stadium.

Coach K court? Perfectly done. Krzyzewskiville? Love it. Basically honoring Coach K by putting his name on almost any thing is great as far as I'm concerned.

As a juliovison and DBR addict for decades, I rarely disagree with their suggestions...but here's my 5 cents: Keep Cameron's name the way it is.

Not that I hate the thought of renaming Cameron. It wouldn't even piss me off. But if it were up to me...stick with CIS.

Marc

PS Thanks to all who started and continue to run DBR. You guys are great.
    If we use the football field naming style that they’ve emphasized (Brooks Field at Wallace Wade Stadium) it’s already there. Coach K Court at Cameron Indoor Stadium. No need to change it. And I would be opposed to it as well.

Quote Originally Posted by CameronBornAndBred View Post
    Check the front page.

I agree with the original poster... no need to rename Cameron. I also am pretty sure based on previous comments (no links, sorry) Coach K would not want it to be renamed either.

New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley
    Quote Originally Posted by Zeb View Post
    Check the front page.
    No.

Q "Why do you like Duke, you didn't even go there." A "Because my art school didn't have a basketball team."

Quote Originally Posted by Zeb View Post
    Check the front page.

I agree with the original poster... no need to rename Cameron. I also am pretty sure based on previous comments (no links, sorry) Coach K would not want it to be renamed either.
    Most likely, any further "renaming" at Duke would be accompanied by a very large donation, and if it were to be Wade or Cameron, result in a hyphenation. Be my guest -- I think "Cameron-Starnes Indoor Stadium would be cool.
    Sage Grouse

---------------------------------------
    'When I got on the bus for my first road game at Duke, I saw that every player was carrying textbooks or laptops. I coached in the SEC for 25 years, and I had never seen that before, not even once.' - David Cutcliffe to Duke alumni in Washington, DC, June 2013

Quote Originally Posted by sagegrouse View Post
    Most likely, any further "renaming" at Duke would be accompanied by a very large donation, and if it were to be Wade or Cameron, result in a hyphenation. Be my guest -- I think "Cameron-Starnes Indoor Stadium would be cool.
    Worked great at UGA. Hence, the Butts-Mehre athletic building ...

No. Just no. Besides that proposed name being a long, giant mouthful that nobody would really use -- they'd continue to just call it "Cameron," why can't we leave something that is perfect as is, alone? I'm sure Coach K feels more than acknowledged with the naming of the court alongside all of the rest of the well-deserved accolades and recognition he has gotten and will continue to get. And I'd bet he'd be the last person who would want to mess with the perfection that is Cameron Indoor Stadium.

Quote Originally Posted by sagegrouse View Post
    Do we have any wealthy Alums named Diaz? That could be a good one!

That's a Hell no! Cameron and Wally Wade forever.
    "This is the best of all possible worlds."
    Dr. Pangloss - Candide

I'm pretty sure I've heard even K quoted as saying he wouldn't want that. So why are we discussing it on the main page?

I agree with Duhon. A statue for sure.

Thinking a net cutting pose would be appropriate.

GettyImages-98271186-775x465.jpg
    Last edited by HaveFunExpectToWin; 06-08-2021 at 01:12 PM. Reason: Added pic
    "Something in my vicinity is Carolina blue and this offends me." - HPR

Quote Originally Posted by HaveFunExpectToWin View Post
    I agree with Duhon. A statue for sure.

Thinking a net cutting pose would be appropriate.

GettyImages-98271186-775x465.jpg
    How will they choose from the six most significant net cutting poses?

Quote Originally Posted by CameronBornAndBred View Post
    Wasn't that Duke Indoor Stadium?

This stuff gets out of hand. When Jon wins his 5th National Championship, are we going to change it to Cameron-Krzyzewski-Scheyer Indoor Stadium?

Leave it be.

A statue would be great.

Cameron Indoor Stadium just rolls off the tongue beautifully. Don't mess with it.
    Hard at work making beautiful things.

Quote Originally Posted by Edouble View Post
    A statue would be great.

Cameron Indoor Stadium just rolls off the tongue beautifully. Don't mess with it.
    Totally agree. And as others have noted, I'm pretty sure Coach K agrees as well. I think a good statue pose would be with his fist raised, both as a sign of victory and also the fist concept he frequently discusses.

I'm good with all of the facility names as they are now, though given the tremendous progress that baseball has made, I am hoping that some day we will be discussing whether historic Jack Coombs-Pollard Field is appropriate.

Quote Originally Posted by CrazyNotCrazie View Post
    Totally agree. And as others have noted, I'm pretty sure Coach K agrees as well. I think a good statue pose would be with his fist raised, both as a sign of victory and also the fist concept he frequently discusses.

I'm good with all of the facility names as they are now, though given the tremendous progress that baseball has made, I am hoping that some day we will be discussing whether historic Jack Coombs-Pollard Field is appropriate.
    are there plans to upgrade that facility? Duke has really nice facilities for many of the secondary sports, but Coombs (last time I saw it which was some time ago) was an exception.

Quote Originally Posted by Edouble View Post
    A statue would be great.

Kameron Indoor Stadium, everyone wins.

This suggestion would spoil the undergraduates but how about making K-ville a building and not a field. The Coach K statue could be on the Cameron end of the building as you enter the CIS. The permanent building could be an open concept and students could bring in cots....