Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Results 41 to 60 of 92
  1. #41
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Vermont
    Quote Originally Posted by jimsumner View Post
    Yep. Cigarettes cleared your lungs. Just glance at any old issue of Saturday Evening Post or Look. If you don't believe the guy dressed up like a physician, surely you'll believe Joe Dimaggio.
    EVERY doctor's office had the same kind of ashtrays, the pedestal kind with the big heavy amber colored ashtray on top, lots of bulk so kids wouldn't knock them over...

  2. #42
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Outside Philly
    This is one of the more unusual threads I can remember.

  3. #43
    Quote Originally Posted by bundabergdevil View Post
    This is one of the more unusual threads I can remember.
    This isn't a thread. It was broken off from the D-Day thread in the name of thread discipline. This is just "LTE after dark". It probably should have been thrown in with that thread.

  4. #44
    Join Date
    Dec 2014
    Location
    I'd tell ya, but then I'd have to kill ya
    "Thread discipline". That's one of the funniest things I've ever read on DBR.

  5. #45
    Quote Originally Posted by dudog84 View Post
    "Thread discipline". That's one of the funniest things I've ever read on DBR.
    It drives me nuts but there is a subset of posters who insist upon it. Which is why the LTE exists. It's the opposite of whatever idea thread discipline is stupid enough to make fun of.

  6. #46
    It is my homage to the "well actually" crowd.

  7. #47
    Quote Originally Posted by bundabergdevil View Post
    Yeah, we forget that cigarettes were once considered good for you. Or at least advertised as such.
    I remember when Duke Hospital first prohibited smoking inside. It seemed like a surprisingly radical move at the time.

  8. #48
    Quote Originally Posted by Skydog View Post
    I remember when Duke Hospital first prohibited smoking inside. It seemed like a surprisingly radical move at the time.
    When the banned smoking in bars in Seattle, they did it on a predictably overreactive way. You couldn't smoke inside, of course. But you also couldn't smoke within 100 feet (I believe) of an entrance to a building.

    So, when the ban took effect, they did a newscast where they stood in the single place one could legally smoke downtown - the center of a large intersection.

    Love you Seattle - never change.

  9. #49
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Vermont
    During my "working" career, I marveled at the exiled smokers who would go outside at five degrees below zero to sneak a but every hour or so...they brought dedication to their craft.

  10. #50
    Quote Originally Posted by budwom View Post
    During my "working" career, I marveled at the exiled smokers who would go outside at five degrees below zero to sneak a but every hour or so...they brought dedication to their craft.
    Their mamas didn't raise no quitters Budwom.

  11. #51
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Vermont
    Quote Originally Posted by ClemmonsDevil View Post
    Their mamas didn't raise no quitters Budwom.
    no they did not. But as a dedicated obit reader, I note that quite a few of those guys have moved on to the celestial smoking parlor.

    p.s. eventually my employer even banned smoking anywhere on the premises, inside or out...there tended to be a Wall of Smoke near many of the doors...

  12. #52
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    North of Durham
    Quote Originally Posted by budwom View Post
    During my "working" career, I marveled at the exiled smokers who would go outside at five degrees below zero to sneak a but every hour or so...they brought dedication to their craft.
    At my first job out of college, I worked at a corporate HQ with a few hundred people. We had a company-wide event and I noticed that the admin for my small department seemed to know the CEO really well (not insinuating anything in poor taste). Afterwards I asked her how she knew him and she said they were both smokers so spent a lot of time outside together.

  13. #53
    Quote Originally Posted by budwom View Post
    no they did not. But as a dedicated obit reader, I note that quite a few of those guys have moved on to the celestial smoking parlor.

    p.s. eventually my employer even banned smoking anywhere on the premises, inside or out...there tended to be a Wall of Smoke near many of the doors...
    Or they are "burning one" in more ways than one...

  14. #54
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Raleigh, NC
    Quote Originally Posted by Skydog View Post
    I remember when Duke Hospital first prohibited smoking inside. It seemed like a surprisingly radical move at the time.
    And I'm sure people complained about their rights being infringed upon.

  15. #55
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Washington, DC area
    Quote Originally Posted by CrazyNotCrazie View Post
    At my first job out of college, I worked at a corporate HQ with a few hundred people. We had a company-wide event and I noticed that the admin for my small department seemed to know the CEO really well (not insinuating anything in poor taste). Afterwards I asked her how she knew him and she said they were both smokers so spent a lot of time outside together.
    Something like this happened at a place I worked. We had a balcony that became the de facto smoking room. The CFO was a heavy smoker, as was my direct boss. I spent quite a bit of time (upwind) out there. Great chance to lobby for projects.

    -jk

  16. #56
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Outside Philly
    Quote Originally Posted by Skydog View Post
    I remember when Duke Hospital first prohibited smoking inside. It seemed like a surprisingly radical move at the time.
    The thought of planes, or most indoor places, before smoking was banned is pretty gross.

    I lived with a smoker for about six months in middle school. That smell clings to you fierce.

  17. #57
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Raleigh, NC
    Quote Originally Posted by bundabergdevil View Post
    The thought of planes, or most indoor places, before smoking was banned is pretty gross.

    I lived with a smoker for about six months in middle school. That smell clings to you fierce.
    I had four different roommates at Duke, including living in a triple as a freshman. Three of them smoked and they smoked in the dorm room, the study room. SOP in those days.

  18. #58
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Atlanta 'burbs
    In my job of repairing X-ray equipment, I found some of the heaviest smokers were X-ray technicians and nurses. Smoking was even allowed in cardiac cath labs . . . during cardiac caths!!! Most X-ray equipment had a yellowish tint from years of smoking in the rooms.

  19. #59
    Quote Originally Posted by TruBlu View Post
    In my job of repairing X-ray equipment, I found some of the heaviest smokers were X-ray technicians and nurses. Smoking was even allowed in cardiac cath labs . . . during cardiac caths!!! Most X-ray equipment had a yellowish tint from years of smoking in the rooms.
    Ugggh! Many Respiratory Therapists smoked back in the day as well and it drove me crazy.

  20. #60
    Quote Originally Posted by jimsumner View Post
    That's one thing that would stun young people if they could go back in time to 1960. People smoked EVERYWHERE. Hospitals, cabs, airplanes, theaters, restaurants, smoke 'em if you got 'em. Even non-smokers were expected to have ash trays in their living rooms for visitors.
    I don’t go that far back but certainly in the late 1970s when I was a kid smoking rates were still high and people smoked everywhere.
    Of course if it wasn’t for smoking they probably wouldn’t be a duke university.

Similar Threads

  1. For all us baby boomers
    By OZZIE4DUKE in forum Off Topic
    Replies: 12
    Last Post: 04-20-2008, 01:33 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •