Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345
    Quote Originally Posted by rasputin View Post
    Do you prefer the urinating or non-urinating section of the pool?
    On a visit to Aruba, I visited a hotel which had a bar in the middle of their swimming pool. I was at the Tiki bar, thinking that I would put on my swim suit and come back and enjoy the pool bar ... until I noticed that none of the heavy drinkers were ever getting out of the water to go to a bathroom.

So add bars in swimming pools to the list of bad ideas.

Quote Originally Posted by TruBlu View Post
    On a visit to Aruba, I visited a hotel which had a bar in the middle of their swimming pool. I was at the Tiki bar, thinking that I would put on my swim suit and come back and enjoy the pool bar ... until I noticed that none of the heavy drinkers were ever getting out of the water to go to a bathroom.

Yes. I prefer the "ool". No "p" in it.

Quote Originally Posted by Stray Gator View Post
    At least you had the option to walk out. I was on many flights, including some from coast-to-coast, when the airlines tried to segregate smoking passengers in the back section of the cabin and reserved the front section for non-smoking passengers. Even if you were seated in the first few rows, you couldn't escape the smell. And there were always a few miscreants who liked to sit in the front section but would frequently walk to the rear and have a smoke, bringing the stench back with them. (I suspect that those who survive today are among the most obstinate mask "refuseniks.")
    Yes, and one time I (a life-long non-smoker) got relegated to the last row of the airplane because otherwise there was no seat for me on the plane. So I had to ride the entire trip next to all the smokers. Horrible.
    "We are not provided with wisdom, we must discover it for ourselves, after a journey through the wilderness which no one else can take for us, an effort which no one can spare us, for our wisdom is the point of view from which we come at last to regard the world." --M. Proust

Quote Originally Posted by TruBlu View Post

My first visit to Mexico, I was highly amused by this sign everywhere:

Piscina
    Pool

Then there's our own backyard...

At least you had the option to walk out. I was on many flights, including some from coast-to-coast, when the airlines tried to segregate smoking passengers in the back section of the cabin and reserved the front section for non-smoking passengers. Even if you were seated in the first few rows, you couldn't escape the smell. And there were always a few miscreants who liked to sit in the front section but would frequently walk to the rear and have a smoke, bringing the stench back with them. (I suspect that those who survive today are among the most obstinate mask "refuseniks.")

I know I've seen it before on this board, but not recently (maybe as far back as Sagarmatha), but I'm sure I'm not the only person who remembers the fog bank that appeared in the rafters of the Indoor Stadium (pre-CIS) during half times. I suppose I could have walked out, but then I would have missed many memorable events, like Art Heyman's "intimate" encounter with Frank McGuire (and I still insist that Larry Brown and Donnie Walsh were and still are punks). It took me years to realize that McGuire was simply acting the consummate showman like the villain in pro wrestling, but he was so much fun to boo. My opinion of him has mellowed a bit.

Anyway, it's nice to go places these days and not have to endure other people's smoke.

Section 15
    Last edited by Section 15; 06-10-2021 at 02:05 PM. Reason: correct a misspelling

Quote Originally Posted by Section 15 View Post
    I know I've seen it before on this board, but not recently (maybe as far back as Sagarmatha), but I'm sure I'm not the only person who remembers the fog bank that appeared in the rafters of the Indoor Stadium (pre-CIS) during half times. I suppose I could have walked out, but then I would have missed many memorable events, like Art Heyman's "intimate" encounter with Frank McGuire (and I still insist that Larry Brown and Donnie Walsh were and still are punks). It took me years to realize that McGuire was simply acting the consummate showman like the villain in pro wrestling, but he was so much fun to boo. My opinion of him has mellowed a bit.

Anyway, it's nice to go places these days and not have to endure other people's smoke.

Section 15
    My memory might be incorrect, but if I recall, I had ROTC friends at Duke in the 90s whose title was "smoke patrol" which was kind of an informal public safety, part of whose duty was to make sure people didn't smoke. It was a great gig as they got into Cameron for games without waiting in line, and usually had very little to do.

On a lightly related note, a few years ago I was touring camps with my son and they showed us the pottery room and another parent and I simultaneously asked the question "do they make ash trays?" - when I was a kid in the 80s, you inevitably made ash trays in any arts and crafts type class, even if no one in your family smoked. The much younger counselors at the camp we were touring looked at us like we were crazy, but we had a great laugh.

Quote Originally Posted by CrazyNotCrazie View Post
    My memory might be incorrect, but if I recall, I had ROTC friends at Duke in the 90s whose title was "smoke patrol" which was kind of an informal public safety, part of whose duty was to make sure people didn't smoke. It was a great gig as they got into Cameron for games without waiting in line, and usually had very little to do.

On a lightly related note, a few years ago I was touring camps with my son and they showed us the pottery room and another parent and I simultaneously asked the question "do they make ash trays?" - when I was a kid in the 80s, you inevitably made ash trays in any arts and crafts type class, even if no one in your family smoked. The much younger counselors at the camp we were touring looked at us like we were crazy, but we had a great laugh.
    I turned mine into a candy dish (I was a militant anti-smoker even at 6). Haven't thought of it in decades, I wonder where it is now. Probably in the landfill, but maybe, just maybe, on somebody's garage sale table.

Possibly, but most likely they were just hooked on their drug. As I was, once upon a time.
    Man, if your Mom made you wear that color when you were a baby, and you're still wearing it, it's time to grow up!

Quote Originally Posted by CrazyNotCrazie View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by dudog84 View Post
    I turned mine into a candy dish (I was a militant anti-smoker even at 6). Haven't thought of it in decades, I wonder where it is now. Probably in the landfill, but maybe, just maybe, on somebody's garage sale table.
    I made an elaborate ash tray out of clay in my high school "industrial arts" class. It was basically a pottery square house with a door and a chimney. The cigarette rested in the door and the smoke came out the chimney. My mom smoked but I don't think she every used it. It was very impressive, if I do say so my self!
    Rich
    "Failure is Not a Destination"
    Coach K on the Dan Patrick Show, December 22, 2016

Quote Originally Posted by ClemmonsDevil View Post
    Yes. I prefer the "ool". No "p" in it.
    It's spelled the same, though, because the "p" is silent.

Quote Originally Posted by cspan37421 View Post
    It's spelled the same, though, because the "p" is silent.
    Aaaaaaah.

At least you had the option to walk out. I was on many flights, including some from coast-to-coast, when the airlines tried to segregate smoking passengers in the back section of the cabin and reserved the front section for non-smoking passengers. Even if you were seated in the first few rows, you couldn't escape the smell. And there were always a few miscreants who liked to sit in the front section but would frequently walk to the rear and have a smoke, bringing the stench back with them.
    The British philosopher and mathematician Bertrand Russell once credited smoking with saving his life. He was seated in the smoking section of a flight that crashed in the water off Norway, and as he told it, all those in the front, non-smoking section of the plane perished.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bukken...disaster#Crash

[That said, Stray Gator, I share your distaste for the stench of cigarettes.]