Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Any idea what his salary will be ?

Quote Originally Posted by jimsumner View Post
    For those of you who don't read the front page.

https://www.dukebasketballreport.com...ike-krzyzewski
    Jim, you got it all just right. Your usual masterful presentation - succinct and complete. Thanks.

[QUOTE=ChrisP;1376270]I know some on this board feel like Scheyer's promotion is Duke taking the "easy" or lazy way out upon K's retirement, but I'm excited to see what Coach Scheyer does with the program! Let's get real: K is irreplaceable and Coach K 2.0 ain't walking through that door. To be the "next Duke coach" is a daunting task and I'm impressed that Coach K, President Price, Kevin White, and Nina King feel Jon is up to the moment! Yeah, maybe it is an easy hire in one sense, but at Duke, men's basketball is a BIG deal and there's no way that this decision was taken lightly. No chance.

Mike Kryzyzewski deserves every accolade he's getting, but we all knew this day was coming sooner rather than later and so let's see what some new blood feels like! I remember Coach S's senior season well and the man is a WINNER. I have ZERO doubt that he knows the X's and O's but the great coaches possess that which K has in spades - the ability to relate, motivate and get the very best out of his players. I have a feeling Jon Scheyer has that innate talent in addition to a sharp basketball mind. I sincerely wish him nothing but the very best! Congrats, Coach [/QUOT
    Your right.When coach K says he was lucky i was thinking to myself I was lucky we all were lucky to have him coach Duke.

Jon’s press conference was worth every penny. I thought I knew him, but of course it’s been a long time since he was last squarely in the spotlight and he has matured considerably since then. His presence was impressive. I have no doubt that Jon and his staff can run this program and help kids achieve great things.

I hope recruits agree. I’m far more optimistic about that after watching today compared to before.
    Carolina delenda est

Jon's situation is much different than Coach K's when he was hired by Duke, but both were in their early thirties, obviously smart and saavy, a little awkward, but with all the tools.
    They have another year to hire Jon's replacement... probably by promoting either Nolan or Chris... but they also could bring in someone from the outside with more experience.

Quote Originally Posted by Indoor66 View Post
    Jim, you got it all just right. Your usual masterful presentation - succinct and complete. Thanks.
    Yep, really great article as usual.

Jon, while not completely polished, is such a sincere speaker that he makes you want to believe in him. I have mentioned before that he spoke to a board on which I serve...we have had many speakers including Duke presidents (not so much Vince though), Coach Cutcliffe (twice), Danowski (also twice), Coach Lawson...but never coach K. However, Jon did speak to us (maybe 2 years ago...8:00A on a Saturday), and he was so engaging. Because he is so sincere, he completely engages his audience, and hopefully that helps him on the recruiting trail over the next few years. While I remember being quite impressed by his entire talk, my most vivid memory is when someone asked him about his future aspirations (mostly because he already seemed to be a potential candidate for a head coaching job), his answer was, “if you are trying to get me to say that I want my boss’s job, I am not going to do that.” I though that was the perfect response.

Quote Originally Posted by SkyBrickey View Post
    I just watched the Scheyer press conference and would highly recommend it at least watching Nina King's intro and Jon's prepared remarks - starts at 14:30 and ends at 27:30. Video here.
    SkyBrickey linked to the video first, but it's embedded for convenience below.

Quote Originally Posted by cato View Post
    Jon’s press conference was worth every penny. I thought I knew him, but of course it’s been a long time since he was last squarely in the spotlight and he has matured considerably since then. His presence was impressive. I have no doubt that Jon and his staff can run this program and help kids achieve great things.

I hope recruits agree. I’m far more optimistic about that after watching today compared to before.
    This is the KEY. I'm confident that Jon will present himself very well... but kids today, who knows

Well, I guess the (justifiably) optimistic view is that Jon will be getting lots and lots of scrutiny his first year running things, which means Duke will be on TV a lot, and big time recruits always like that.

I remember many years ago when a basketball icon recommended a young assistant with no head coaching experience to be the head coach at his alma mater. That school had a long history with college basketball. That assistant coach with no experience turned out to be a great hire, many wins, many NCAA tournaments, and ultimately some championships, albeit at a different school. I am sure all the astute readers on here know who I am referencing, Roy Williams. Everyone has to start somewhere. I am excited for Jon. He has as good a chance of success as anyone in what is a very difficult situation. And if he succeeds we are set for a long time. I like the odds!

Quote Originally Posted by TheDevilMadeMeDoIt View Post
    I remember many years ago when a basketball icon recommended a young assistant with no head coaching experience to be the head coach at his alma mater. That school had a long history with college basketball. That assistant coach with no experience turned out to be a great hire, many wins, many NCAA tournaments, and ultimately some championships, albeit at a different school. I am sure all the astute readers on here know who I am referencing, Roy Williams. Everyone has to start somewhere. I am excited for Jon. He has as good a chance of success as anyone in what is a very difficult situation. And if he succeeds we are set for a long time. I like the odds!
    Bones McKinney, Vic Bubas, Dean Smith, Tom Izzo, numerous others got their first college head-coaching jobs at high-profile schools and succeeded. Georgetown hired John Thompson away from a high school.

There's no hard-and-fast rule that says you have to start at a lower-tier school and move up.

Quote Originally Posted by BigZ View Post
    Lower than K's. K's starting salary was something like 40K - I suspect it will be higher than that.

Assistant basketball coaches at Duke are definitely paid more than assistants at nearly all other places, and perhaps more than head coach salaries at certain institutions. Having said that, don't think Duke as a private institution releases salary info unless obligated which is usually the top 10 highest salaries of the institution (hospital CEO, etc.). Certainly, Coach K and Cut are also on that list ... I'm sure Scheyer will be pretty well taken care of but not compensated like the GOAT.

New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley
    Maybe enough to afford two tickets to K's last game.
    Q "Why do you like Duke, you didn't even go there." A "Because my art school didn't have a basketball team."

Quote Originally Posted by CameronBornAndBred View Post
    Maybe enough to afford two tickets to K's last game.
    I'm surprised no one has started a thread in the ticket exchange looking for a pair yet lol

Quote Originally Posted by Bluedog View Post
    Assistant basketball coaches at Duke are definitely paid more than assistants at nearly all other places, and perhaps more than head coach salaries at certain institutions. Having said that, don't think Duke as a private institution releases salary info unless obligated which is usually the top 10 highest salaries of the institution (hospital CEO, etc.). Certainly, Coach K and Cut are also on that list ... I'm sure Scheyer will be pretty well taken care of but not compensated like the GOAT.
    Though I agree Scheyer will make much less than K, I assume he will still be one of the top people so will be disclosed. I forget how the disclosure works in terms of what Duke pays vs what Nike pays.

Quote Originally Posted by CrazyNotCrazie View Post
    Though I agree Scheyer will make much less than K, I assume he will still be one of the top people so will be disclosed. I forget how the disclosure works in terms of what Duke pays vs what Nike pays.
    Published stats are"an indication." At Duke Med, many of the doctors are in a private entity for their fee income that does not have to be disclosed as part of any Duke University report. I am not sure what happens with K's reported income.
    Sage Grouse

---------------------------------------
    'When I got on the bus for my first road game at Duke, I saw that every player was carrying textbooks or laptops. I coached in the SEC for 25 years, and I had never seen that before, not even once.' - David Cutcliffe to Duke alumni in Washington, DC, June 2013

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HzeKf5AKP-A

Maybe Scheyer has a few K tricks up his sleeve already. If you haven’t seen this it’s well worth watching.
    Kyle gets BUCKETS!
    https://youtu.be/NJWPASQZqLc

Quote Originally Posted by jimsumner View Post
    Bones McKinney, Vic Bubas, Dean Smith, Tom Izzo, numerous others got their first college head-coaching jobs at high-profile schools and succeeded. Georgetown hired John Thompson away from a high school.

There's no hard-and-fast rule that says you have to start at a lower-tier school and move up.
    Thanks for the additional names. I must be getting old to forget Duke’s head coach my first two years at Duke, one Vic Bubas. Wow, if Jon can replicate the careers of any of the names on your list we are in good hands. There is another common thread in your post. Promotion from assistant to head coach at a major basketball program appears to have been more usual forty years ago. Now programs seem to believe you need to apprentice at a lower level program before stepping up to the big time. Maybe that’s because Athletics Directors know their job security is based on the success of their hires so they are a cautious lot.