Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Congrats to HCIW Jon Scheyer!

I know some on this board feel like Scheyer's promotion is Duke taking the "easy" or lazy way out upon K's retirement, but I'm excited to see what Coach Scheyer does with the program! Let's get real: K is irreplaceable and Coach K 2.0 ain't walking through that door. To be the "next Duke coach" is a daunting task and I'm impressed that Coach K, President Price, Kevin White, and Nina King feel Jon is up to the moment! Yeah, maybe it is an easy hire in one sense, but at Duke, men's basketball is a BIG deal and there's no way that this decision was taken lightly. No chance.

Mike Kryzyzewski deserves every accolade he's getting, but we all knew this day was coming sooner rather than later and so let's see what some new blood feels like! I remember Coach S's senior season well and the man is a WINNER. I have ZERO doubt that he knows the X's and O's but the great coaches possess that which K has in spades - the ability to relate, motivate and get the very best out of his players. I have a feeling Jon Scheyer has that innate talent in addition to a sharp basketball mind. I sincerely wish him nothing but the very best! Congrats, Coach

Also my CONGRATULATIONS to Coach Scheyer. I think Coach K groomed Scheyer throughout the previous years, and he feels very comfortable with Scheyer at the helm. The timing is perfect... AD White retiring, AD-in-waiting King ready to take over with tons of experience in the Duke athletic department, Coach K essentially "naming" Coach Scheyer as capable, everyone in the Duke administration approving, ONE YEAR of overlap. Can't be better. Especially the one last season with Coach K.

Mazel tov Jon. I am sure that you will crush it.

Very happy to see Jon take over; I’m a huge fan.

I can't help but think this is a most daunting challenge, but I have faith in young Jon!

He's smart, he's a winner and he's studied under the GOAT.

Quote Originally Posted by 1991 duke law View Post
    Mazel tov Jon. I am sure that you will crush it.
    Is Scheyer the first Jewish Duke University Men’s Basketball coach?

I know last year Josh Pastner became the first Jewish head coach to lead an ACC men’s basketball team to an ACC title. I hope Coach Scheyer becomes the second in 2022-2023!

I want to add my name, wishing the very best to what will be the next great head coach at Duke, barring all 'Concerned' groups. This happened, I feel, at the best time. Certainly he will have all the best backing from K. Isn't it good to not be filling an emptied position?
    What are the broadcast rights being bid for unc at Cameron 2022?

Jon knows what it takes to be the head coach. He wouldn't take the job if he had any doubt about his ability to deliver. Press on Jon!

Definite congrats to Scheyer, who is going to join a very select group of coaches.

No idea if he'll succeed or not (it wouldn't be unprecedented for him to do so; Williams certainly worked out with no prior head coaching experience, as have numerous others). But I will give the benefit of the doubt to Coach K, and will be happy to see how Scheyer does.

Regardless, it's a momentous day for him and for Duke Basketball, so congrats on a life-changing accomplishment Coach Scheyer!

I have a 3 day weekend coming up...I think in celebration of Jon being named the next head coach I'm going to try to put together video sources for the entire 2010 ACC and NCAA runs (and maybe some highlight games from throughout the season). I'm hoping between the NCAA site, ESPN, and YouTube all of them will be up there and "free" (assuming you already have some kind of access to stream live sporting events).

Congrats Coach J. You’re the right man for this job. Excited to see how you lead this great program out into the future.

Quote Originally Posted by Acymetric View Post
    I have a 3 day weekend coming up...I think in celebration of Jon being named the next head coach I'm going to try to put together video sources for the entire 2010 ACC and NCAA runs (and maybe some highlight games from throughout the season). I'm hoping between the NCAA site, ESPN, and YouTube all of them will be up there and "free" (assuming you already have some kind of access to stream live sporting events).
    If you are going to do that, might as well tack on the last game of the regular season. 82-50. That was when I thought that team really could win it all.
    Carolina delenda est

Just in case folks aren't aware, Coach Scheyer will hold a press conference at 11:00am today. It will be broadcast on the ACC Network (and likely other places, as well).

Mazel Tov! And I too endorse Jon's elevation to Coach in Waiting.

Of all the other former players who are (or were) head coaches, those that everyone has speculated about for the last 10-20 years, Jon and Wojo are the only two who could take a position like this a year in advance. Capel? Unless he resigned at Pitt he couldn't be named for another 10 months. Same with Hurley, Collins, Amaker and Dawkins - it would put them all in untenable positions. I guess Wojo could have been hired as an assistant head coach this year and named the coach in waiting. And I would have been fine if Wojo had been named; after all, he has big man coaching experience!

So who will be named to fill the vacant assistant coach position? Christian Laettner has said he wants to get into coaching (he runs camps now). We have several other former players who have retired from the NBA in the last couple of years - they may be interested.
    Ozzie, your paradigm of optimism!

Go To Hell carolina, Go To Hell!
    9F 9F 9F
    https://ecogreen.greentechaffiliate.com

Laettner would ba a great assistant. Knows the game, successful as a player at all levels and brings a sense of urgency and intensity to complement Jon.

My recollection is that in the past when coaching came up Laettner suggested he would only be interested if he could go straight to Head Coach somewhere. I would guess if he wanted to get into coaching it would have happened by now...Laettner is no spring chicken!

Quote Originally Posted by Acymetric View Post
    My recollection is that in the past when coaching came up Laettner suggested he would only be interested if he could go straight to Head Coach somewhere. I would guess if he wanted to get into coaching it would have happened by now...Laettner is no spring chicken!
    Laettner is almost 52. He might have changed since his Duke days, but he was well known for his abrasive personality. This served him well as a college basketball player and I think he likely could have done fine working under Coach K, but I don't think a new, significantly younger first time head coach would be the ideal person for him to work for.

Quote Originally Posted by CameronDuke View Post
    Is Scheyer the first Jewish Duke University Men’s Basketball coach?

I know last year Josh Pastner became the first Jewish head coach to lead an ACC men’s basketball team to an ACC title. I hope Coach Scheyer becomes the second in 2022-2023!
    Just because Red Auerbach didn't have the patience to stick around and get the job way back?

I'm wondering if the 2021-2022 tour thing is really more about Coach K being able to choose his successor than anything else. Makes sense to me. If he does it like Roy, things might spool out of his control. And Coach K is all about control.

At any rate, Congrats to Jon!

He was the logical Brotherhood choice, and I I have no trouble following the new Captain.

Go Duke!
    Man, if your Mom made you wear that color when you were a baby, and you're still wearing it, it's time to grow up!

Zoubek in the room. I think he'd make a great big man coach!