Page 5 of 15 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast
Results 81 to 100 of 298
  1. #81
    Quote Originally Posted by uh_no View Post
    Capel did not capitalize on an elite 8 run at oklahoma, and has shown no signs of lifting pitt out of the bottom of the ACC. In the end, he hasn't made the tournament in 12 years (though obviously spent several of those at duke). He wasn't the obvious choice for anything.
    Yeah BUT ...

    Elite recruiter.

    3 NCAAT appearances as a head coach

    Been around the program recently as an assistant.

    Local (Fayetteville) guy, can recruit the region (and nationally) well.

    Checks all the boxes Scheyer does but has way more head coaching experience and wins.

    I think Capel will elevate Pitt soon. Only his 4th year coming up and the last two years weren’t exactly ordinary seasons.

    Either way I’m excited.

  2. #82
    Wow. Well, it had to happen some day.

    Hope whoever comes in let’s Michael S stay with the team...

  3. #83
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Vermont
    Quote Originally Posted by wilson View Post
    Thanks for the clarification, but the specific number isn't really relevant to my larger point: that this is, to me, a surprisingly and somewhat needlessly risky hire, and that I'm not particularly bullish on the coming era of Duke basketball.
    Hey, maybe it's Scheyer, but I don't think Goodman knows anything we don't know, so I'm not putting a whole lot of thought into Coach Scheyer just yet. Having said that, I think Duke will go with someone else.

  4. #84
    Blue... Sigh... This sounds like the right choice for him as an individual, and probably the program -- time will tell. But, I think there was something comforting about Coach K, especially with so much turmoil and vitriol in the world, it was good knowing that Coach K was out there consistently creating a winning culture. Pulling in great young talent from diverse backgrounds all around the country, building the "Brotherhood," and just being a positive leader that was bigger than just college basketball. I'm sure in some capacity he will continue to be an Emeritus Ambassador of the Game in some shape or form. Heck, go coach the Lakers for one season. I guess it's just the passing of time and coming to grips that college basketball is changing profoundly and maybe not for the better with the transfer portal, the NBA's big shadow which will ultimately pull the best talent from the NCAA, how poorly the NCAA is run at times. Coach K is and was a consistent voice of reason to keep everyone honest. He brings out the best not just in his players. College basketball has just been so fun to watch over the span of Coach K's career and be a part of, thanks in some small part to Coach K's consistency in leadership. And it's not even about all the championships either. I guess I was hoping that after the Pandemic that a few things would get back to normal -- like enjoying college basketball. And watching Coach K be at his best for many seasons to come. Not saying it can't. It's just that there seemed to be something that everyone was avoiding in conversation on these boards or at least was prickly about (and hesitated to discuss). And that was the mass migration of MANY good people who just split and transferred out or jumped to the NBA (in one case, quit). I was hoping it wasn't a harbinger of things to come, but getting up the energy to get out there continue doing the travel and recruiting -- it's got to be physically and mentally grueling, and something has changed. So now it's up to the next generation of coach to define the future of Duke basketball. I'm thankful we have one more season to enjoy Coach K on the sidelines. Free and clear of this last, trying year. One more season to see him be at his best, and to cheer on the team. They have the talent to go far and a championship would be nice, but I'll mostly be rooting more for an era and for Coach K specifically. I hope next season brings him contentment and he is able to enjoy every minute -- while looking forward to spending quality time with family and friends doing whatever else he has ever wanted to do when free of coaching. He's earned it and so much more. Go Duke!

  5. #85
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Durham
    Quote Originally Posted by budwom View Post
    Hey, maybe it's Scheyer, but I don't think Goodman knows anything we don't know, so I'm not putting a whole lot of thought into Coach Scheyer just yet. Having said that, I think Duke will go with someone else.
    The media reports are pretty steadfast, and certain large media outlets have "upgraded" the articles from likely to confirmed.

    I get that those types of outlets often make stuff up for clicks, but I see no reason to "upgrade" the language if they didn't actually have a confirmation. I'd put a pretty high confidence on it at this point.
    basketball is back, baby!

  6. #86
    Well, this is not shocking, at first I thought he was retiring effective immediately. Glad to hear we get one more season. I always thought Dawkins or would succeed him, but I guess he's not "good enough" in the eyes of people who do the hiring, but I wish Scheyer the best.

  7. #87
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Vermont
    Quote Originally Posted by uh_no View Post
    The media reports are pretty steadfast, and certain large media outlets have "upgraded" the articles from likely to confirmed.

    I get that those types of outlets often make stuff up for clicks, but I see no reason to "upgrade" the language if they didn't actually have a confirmation. I'd put a pretty high confidence on it at this point.
    I'm confused. Are you talking about K retiring (which I completely buy) or Scheyer being the new coach (which I severely doubt)?

    D'oh, I just saw the ESPN article naming Scheyer, I am truly amazed...

  8. #88
    Quote Originally Posted by Tjenkins View Post
    Well, this is not shocking, at first I thought he was retiring effective immediately. Glad to hear we get one more season. I always thought Dawkins or would succeed him, but I guess he's not "good enough" in the eyes of people who do the hiring, but I wish Scheyer the best.
    He's almost 60 years old, has coached 13 years for 2 teams, and has made the NCAAs twice. Almost beating Zion + RJ with his 24-year-old son was his coaching career highlight. Fantastic player and assistant, but I think has had ample opportunity to show promise as a program leader.

  9. #89
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Durham
    Quote Originally Posted by budwom View Post
    I'm confused. Are you talking about K retiring (which I completely buy) or Scheyer being the new coach (which I severely doubt)?
    the latter. your severe doubt, I believe, is severely misplaced.

    ESPN initially reported he was a candidate and would later meet to confirm the choice. It now says he IS the next head coach, along with further details. There is no benefit of upgrading that language if it were unverified.
    basketball is back, baby!

  10. #90
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Vermont
    Quote Originally Posted by uh_no View Post
    the latter. your severe doubt, I believe, is severely misplaced.

    ESPN initially reported he was a candidate and would later meet to confirm the choice. It now says he IS the next head coach, along with further details. There is no benefit of upgrading that language if it were unverified.
    yep, I updated my post a minute ago, amazing...

  11. #91
    Quote Originally Posted by CameronDuke View Post
    Scheyer is actually 33.
    Exactly the same age (33) Coach K was when he was named Duke head coach in 1980.

  12. #92
    I'd feel pretty good about Jon Scheyer taking over. Obviously he would keep Nolan Smith on staff and CWell if he wanted to stay. Next spring, if Quinn Cook isn't playing anywhere they should give him a call. That would be a young and unproven coaching staff but by all accounts those are the types of guys we would want leading the program. We know Scheyer can recruit and we know Nolan is as personable and charismatic as they come so I don't think they would have any problem connecting with recruits. The questions would be can they coach and can they manage the program. If Scheyer can do that, and at his age, we would have another long term, steady coach at the helm.

  13. #93
    Quote Originally Posted by Kedsy View Post
    Exactly the same age (33) Coach K was when he was named Duke head coach in 1980.
    Good parallel to start off his career!

    If he stays 41 years and wins 5 national championships, goes to 12 final fours, 15 ACC Tournaments, 12 ACC regular season games, etc ... Duke will be in business.

  14. #94
    I wonder if K and Roy would still both be on an indefinite timeline if not for the stress of coaching through the pandemic. Sad to see these titans of the ACC both leaving in consecutive seasons. We talk a lot about the "glory days" of the league from the late 70s through the mid/late 90s, but honestly the last 10 years or so have been pretty damn good with K/Roy, Bennett stepping up pretty strongly the last 7-8 years, Hamilton, Boeheim, Pitino/Louisville having their moments, etc. I feel like the league just won't be the same anymore - and even if it means my team and Bennett become the "alpha dogs" of the league, I'm kind of sad about it. Winning the ACC (if fortunate enough to do so) will definitely feel less special than it did with all the hall of famers roaming the sideline - esp when one of those HoFers is the GOAT. But I'm getting a little to deep into my OWN perspective as a UVA fan, so I digress.

    What an incredible ride the coming season will be for Duke fans and college bb fans as a whole for any team lucky enough to have Duke on the schedule. I'm fascinated to see what kind of reception K gets in opposing arenas. I think even w as much vitrol as opponents seem to have for K/Duke, that underneath, they can appreciate what he's accomplished (or at least appreciate that he's departing if they're TRUE haters) and believe that there will be more goodwill/applause than anger/booing. Hopefully more by a large margin. Guy deserves to go out on a good note, and if winning an NCAA title is too much to ask, I'll say that I certainly hope you whip UNC in his final regular season game (which is hopefully put at Cameron). If i were the athletics marketing dept, I'd create some kind of slogan like, "What a run, but it's not done". Should be a wild ride, and even as an opposing/rival fan who hopes we win our final matchup with K, I'll be watching every Duke game I can.

  15. #95
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    North of Durham
    Quote Originally Posted by DUKIE V(A) View Post
    And who can forget... Jim Boeheim handing the reins over to Mike Hopkins at Syracuse? Whoops!
    I think he promised the NCAA that was his plan to get them off his back - he said he would be gone within a few years. Hopkins gave up waiting and Boeheim is still there. Not sure if he will leave once Buddy is gone.

    The timing of this was very carefully orchestrated. They needed to get it done for the recruiting cycle. Also, they wanted to have the new AD in place so that it could seem like she was involved in the process - I am curious to see how any press release is structured. Now they market the heck out of this to raise a ton of money and attention to better help Scheyer succeed.

    K was the Coach at Duke since before I was a Duke fan, was a large part of why I became a Duke fan, was coach while I was at Duke, and has been coach for many years after my graduation. This was inevitable and I guess this is the best way possible for it to happen, but it is still huge. It is a good excuse to catch up as I am hearing from many long lost friends who are checking in to make sure I am OK.

  16. #96
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    NC
    Quote Originally Posted by budwom View Post
    Hey, maybe it's Scheyer, but I don't think Goodman knows anything we don't know, so I'm not putting a whole lot of thought into Coach Scheyer just yet. Having said that, I think Duke will go with someone else.
    Goodman is much more tuned in to Duke than I think folks here give him credit for. For example, he was way in front of the game this past winter with regards to the Jalen Johnson situation/mess.

  17. #97
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Carolina Beach

    Wow

    Wow! I took my afternoon nap and woke to multiple texts of the news.

    Thank you Coach K. I have been a fan since Jeff Mullins and there were times I questioned whether Duke win one NC. You led us to 5 and so much more.

    Enjoy your farewell tour. You certainly have earned it.

  18. #98
    Quote Originally Posted by Wahoo2000 View Post
    I wonder if K and Roy would still both be on an indefinite timeline if not for the stress of coaching through the pandemic. Sad to see these titans of the ACC both leaving in consecutive seasons. We talk a lot about the "glory days" of the league from the late 70s through the mid/late 90s, but honestly the last 10 years or so have been pretty damn good with K/Roy, Bennett stepping up pretty strongly the last 7-8 years, Hamilton, Boeheim, Pitino/Louisville having their moments, etc. I feel like the league just won't be the same anymore - and even if it means my team and Bennett become the "alpha dogs" of the league, I'm kind of sad about it. Winning the ACC (if fortunate enough to do so) will definitely feel less special than it did with all the hall of famers roaming the sideline - esp when one of those HoFers is the GOAT. But I'm getting a little to deep into my OWN perspective as a UVA fan, so I digress.

    What an incredible ride the coming season will be for Duke fans and college bb fans as a whole for any team lucky enough to have Duke on the schedule. I'm fascinated to see what kind of reception K gets in opposing arenas. I think even w as much vitrol as opponents seem to have for K/Duke, that underneath, they can appreciate what he's accomplished (or at least appreciate that he's departing if they're TRUE haters) and believe that there will be more goodwill/applause than anger/booing. Hopefully more by a large margin. Guy deserves to go out on a good note, and if winning an NCAA title is too much to ask, I'll say that I certainly hope you whip UNC in his final regular season game (which is hopefully put at Cameron). If i were the athletics marketing dept, I'd create some kind of slogan like, "What a run, but it's not done". Should be a wild ride, and even as an opposing/rival fan who hopes we win our final matchup with K, I'll be watching every Duke game I can.
    Lots of folks here poked at Roy for retiring the way he did, but I held my breath - it sounded almost exactly like something K would have done. K and Roy are/were old school guys. K clearly pivoted better then Roy, but this Covid-19 season very visibly took a toll on both men.

    Selfishly, I'm really glad we get a full season goodbye to the best coach ever. Should be quite a ride of emotions over and over. Really hope he can go out on a big high.

  19. #99
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Cary, NC
    Whoever takes over will be starting with a nearly bare roster (depending on how many recruits will choose to sign on knowing they won’t be playing for K), new NIL rules adding to the confusion of their jobs, transfer rules that allow unrestricted player movement every year, and two separate pro leagues in the US attempting to sign top high school talent. Off the court, the sport is virtually unrecognizable from what K took on his first season. Starting with someone young like Scheyer may make a lot of sense, as compared to an older coach who would be adapting to the times.

  20. #100
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Durham, NC
    Quote Originally Posted by Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15 View Post
    Lots of folks here poked at Roy for retiring the way he did, but I held my breath - it sounded almost exactly like something K would have done. K and Roy are/were old school guys. K clearly pivoted better then Roy, but this Covid-19 season very visibly took a toll on both men.

    Selfishly, I'm really glad we get a full season goodbye to the best coach ever. Should be quite a ride of emotions over and over. Really hope he can go out on a big high.
    I've been figuring 2 years was the max (not that I had any basis for that, just a gut feel given his age and the changing basketball landscape) so this isn't a huge surprise for me (I definitely expected that K would announce he would retire before​ his final season rather than after like Roy). It is going to be quite an interesting season. Agreed that I hope he goes out on a high note.

Similar Threads

  1. 2021 MLB Season
    By CameronDuke in forum Off Topic
    Replies: 474
    Last Post: Today, 02:35 AM
  2. Lax: The 2021 Season
    By burnspbesq in forum Elizabeth King Forum
    Replies: 970
    Last Post: 06-07-2021, 08:31 PM
  3. 2021-2022 Duke Basketball Schedule
    By English in forum Elizabeth King Forum
    Replies: 39
    Last Post: 06-06-2021, 08:08 PM
  4. Who’s your surprise player for the 2020-2021 season?
    By Jaks19 in forum Elizabeth King Forum
    Replies: 47
    Last Post: 05-19-2020, 01:01 PM
  5. Grant Hill Possibly Retiring After Season - Or Not
    By -bdbd in forum Elizabeth King Forum
    Replies: 18
    Last Post: 02-11-2013, 06:43 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •