Page 13 of 17 FirstFirst ... 31112131415 ... LastLast
    Coach K is set to have a press conference at 1130 hours today. Does anyone know if it will be televised?

I moved. Now 12 miles from Heaven, 13 from Hell
    Quote Originally Posted by CameronDuke View Post
    Coach K is set to have a press conference at 1130 hours today. Does anyone know if it will be televised?
    WRAL will televise it live. Probably will be on their website.

Quote Originally Posted by DU82 View Post
    WRAL will televise it live. Probably will be on their website.
    Thank you.

I'm loving the haters, criticizing Coach K for the year long lead time. I guess it's better to just bail out in October as the season starts and confuse fans, recruits and players with a Guthridge sudden move? Yeah, that worked out well...

Quote Originally Posted by gep View Post
    I actually think this a GREAT day for DUKE basketball. My feeling is that Coach K knew, probably by the time the 2020 tournaments were cancelled, that he was looking at the end. And I've said it before, maybe Scheyer doesn't have any head coach experience, but he was next to Coach K in the last few years, and maybe even consulted with Coach K on "head coach" ideas/duties.

So... as others have said, since Scheyer was "his" choice, now is the best time to announce. Gives his current recruits/next year's team to be coached by him, gives Scheyer a leg up on recruiting, and gives all a very smooth transition. Also, if it had to be someone outside of the current coaching staff, timing would be horrible at any time... most candidates, I would think except for Wojo, have commitments for the next year so can't recruit, Duke can't really offer the position, etc.

I really like the Scheyer choice... and I believe Coach K thinks that too.

I'm VERY happy that Coach K gets to leave on his own terms, when he wants to, gets a BIG input on his successor... and we all, including him, get one last farewell season. I can't wait.

GO DUKE!!!!!
    Coach K will probably continue to have a presence after he retires, possibly acting as an off-court consultant to Scheyer. It could depend on Scheyer's receptiveness and/or success, but also Coach K may have a plan to stay involved, at an arms distance, for a few years.

Quote Originally Posted by DevilYouKnow View Post
    I'm loving the haters, criticizing Coach K for the year long lead time. I guess it's better to just bail out in October as the season starts and confuse fans, recruits and players with a Guthridge sudden move? Yeah, that worked out well...
    Some people are so blinded with hate that they can't be objective. I think Coach K did it this way because he believed going forward it was the best transition for Duke basketball.

New AD in play. Recruiting... And his love affair with Cameron. I couldn't see him walking away for the last time to an empty Cameron.

I have posted before that knowing they would stay in house that I was good with Jon sliding one seat over. The coaching tree is okay but not spectacular. I didn't think Quin would leave the NBA.

I wonder who they did contact. Heard Dawkins and Amaker but I don't know if that has been substantiated. It seems the decision was pretty much made and probably has been for some time.

Quote Originally Posted by DoubleBlue View Post
    Coach K will probably continue to have a presence after he retires, possibly acting as an off-court consultant to Scheyer. It could depend on Scheyer's receptiveness and/or success, but also Coach K may have a plan to stay involved, at an arms distance, for a few years.
    I assume he will be at games. I assume he will be active with boosters. I assume he will be around if Jon wants him for anything. I also assume his presence in the program will be as much or little as Jon feels he wants, and will not be a "Hey, don't mind me, I just want to watch practice, but I SWEAR I won't say anything" kind of thing. K is not Jay Leno, for instance.

I also assume the NCAA will jump on the opportunity to hire him as what he has stumped for for years...to be a "commissioner of college basketball," in whatever name they give it. At the very least, it gives them some minor credibility to have a figurehead.
    April 1

Quote Originally Posted by uh_no View Post
    I assume he will be at games. I assume he will be active with boosters. I assume he will be around if Jon wants him for anything. I also assume his presence in the program will be as much or little as Jon feels he wants, and will not be a "Hey, don't mind me, I just want to watch practice, but I SWEAR I won't say anything" kind of thing. K is not Jay Leno, for instance.

I also assume the NCAA will jump on the opportunity to hire him as what he has stumped for for years...to be a "commissioner of college basketball," in whatever name they give it. At the very least, it gives them some minor credibility to have a figurehead.
    K is smart enough to know he cannot go to games, especially in Cameron. If anything questionable happens on the court the other 9,313 fans and every TV camera would immediately turn to him. He does not want to be a distraction. Perhaps he will make an appearance at Michael’s senior day. This will likely be really hard for him but I trust he will do what is necessary to help Scheyer succeed.

Quote Originally Posted by CameronDuke View Post
    Will be live on ESPN and ACC Network, as well as some local networks I'm sure.

Quote Originally Posted by CrazyNotCrazie View Post
    K is smart enough to know he cannot go to games, especially in Cameron. If anything questionable happens on the court the other 9,313 fans and every TV camera would immediately turn to him. He does not want to be a distraction. Perhaps he will make an appearance at Michael’s senior day. This will likely be really hard for him but I trust he will do what is necessary to help Scheyer succeed.
    I don't think anybody, including Jon, would have any problem were K at games sitting in section 7 with Mickey. I wouldn't expect him to be at every game...but I don't imagine his being in the stands will be a distraction to anyone. He's not going to NOT go to his grandson's games for some nebulous "well the TV cameras might look at him."

Jim Calhoun regularly went to uconn games, and it wasn't a distraction to anybody, even as the subsequent tenure became a disaster (which I don't expect to be an issue for Jon). I believe Wooden went to UCLA games. Lou Carnessecca went to St. John's games.

Maybe he will, maybe he won't. I think both he and Jon are mature enough for him to be in the stands without being a distraction. It's not like Jon cares whether the cameras are on K during the game.
    April 1

yeah, K can be our ambassador of goodwill, can't imagine why he wouldn't want to be at a lot of games...I imagine they'll carve out a special roll for him...

Quote Originally Posted by sagegrouse View Post
    As someone senior to K in time spent on this planet, I have been saying for years that I expected K to coach Duke for the rest of my life. I would now like to revise those statements.
    I am also in your situation with time on the planet, but I hesitate make revisions too early.

Quote Originally Posted by Indoor66 View Post
    I am also in your situation with time on the planet, but I hesitate make revisions too early.
    Here's to both of you outlasting even Scheyer's coaching career!

Jon Sheyer is the only, obvious choice for replacing the G.O.A. T. I had hoped that when this day came, he would be the one. Young, capable and he was groomed for years for this. Excellent decision! Sheyer, the right hire! Hey, it even rhymes!

My two cents

Yesterday was a helluva day for obvious and non-obvious reasons. This Coach K news, as many have noted, wasn't surprising but it was shocking.

1. The man is 74. My dad is the same age. My dad retired at 65 and has enjoyed retirement. My dad is also healthy, and hasn't had a lot of the surgeries that Coach K has had. Yet, my dad doesn't have anywhere near the energy now that he had a decade ago. Every person - man and woman - runs their own race when it comes to energy and motivation. Coach K finally looks like he's slowing down. And this is at 74! I'm so impressed it took him this long to retire.

2. Covid and last season didn't help. Yes, every program and every coach was impacted. But when you're so much more at risk than younger coaches, when you're used to traveling and running camps/events and you can't do that anymore, when you're used to having loud, obnoxious fans at home games providing your team with energy and you didn't have that, when your team's most talented player quits halfway through the season... I get it.

3. Everyone has said it, but it's worth saying again: the next Duke coach - in this case Scheyer - has a near impossible job ahead of him. The chances he fails are so much higher than the chances he succeeds. This isn't to say Scheyer will fail; just saying the chances are very high. Like they are with Hubert, only with Coach K's successor it will be harder given the legendary status of Coach K > Roy Williams.

4. I'm not in love with the Jon Scheyer pick, but I get it. Ideally, I want a coach who has college head coaching experience AND is Duke-affiliated, but the only one that comes to mind is Quinn Snyder and he is leading the top-seeded team in the NBA play-offs. For all of Coach K's assets, his coaching tree is not one of them. I'm pretty indifferent about Scheyer vs Capel vs Amaker vs [insert Duke coach here], but I would love Duke to bring in an up-and-coming or even established coach. But I get it; this is Coach K's program and he should dictate the next coach.

5. John > Coleman makes so much more sense now.

6. Thanks Coach. I entered Duke as a frosh in '03. All I know with regards to Duke basketball is you. Enjoy retirement! I know my dad has.
    Criticism may not be agreeable, but it is necessary. It fulfils the same function as pain in the human body. It calls attention to an unhealthy state of things. - Winston Churchill

President of the "Nolan Smith Should Have His Jersey in The Rafters" Club

Quote Originally Posted by budwom View Post
    yeah, K can be our ambassador of goodwill, can't imagine why he wouldn't want to be at a lot of games...I imagine they'll carve out a special roll for him...
    They may even give him an entire loaf of bread.....

[Sorry, couldn't resist]

Just to pile on, K will certainly be in the stands after he retires if Michael is still around, I would expect.

I think Scheyer's youth had most to do with the promotion. He has the potential to be around for a very long time. Certainly more than some other very worthy candidates.

Quote Originally Posted by rsvman View Post
    They may even give him an entire loaf of bread....

[Sorry, couldn't resist]
    tough crowd, like jackals.

Quote Originally Posted by flyingdutchdevil View Post
    Yesterday was a helluva day for obvious and non-obvious reasons. This Coach K news, as many have noted, wasn't surprising but it was shocking.

1. The man is 74. My dad is the same age. My dad retired at 65 and has enjoyed retirement. My dad is also healthy, and hasn't had a lot of the surgeries that Coach K has had. Yet, my dad doesn't have anywhere near the energy now that he had a decade ago. Every person - man and woman - runs their own race when it comes to energy and motivation. Coach K finally looks like he's slowing down. And this is at 74! I'm so impressed it took him this long to retire.

2. Covid and last season didn't help. Yes, every program and every coach was impacted. But when you're so much more at risk than younger coaches, when you're used to traveling and running camps/events and you can't do that anymore, when you're used to having loud, obnoxious fans at home games providing your team with energy and you didn't have that, when your team's most talented player quits halfway through the season... I get it.

3. Everyone has said it, but it's worth saying again: the next Duke coach - in this case Scheyer - has a near impossible job ahead of him. The chances he fails are so much higher than the chances he succeeds. This isn't to say Scheyer will fail; just saying the chances are very high. Like they are with Hubert, only with Coach K's successor it will be harder given the legendary status of Coach K > Roy Williams.

4. I'm not in love with the Jon Scheyer pick, but I get it. Ideally, I want a coach who has college head coaching experience AND is Duke-affiliated, but the only one that comes to mind is Quinn Snyder and he is leading the top-seeded team in the NBA play-offs. For all of Coach K's assets, his coaching tree is not one of them. I'm pretty indifferent about Scheyer vs Capel vs Amaker vs [insert Duke coach here], but I would love Duke to bring in an up-and-coming or even established coach. But I get it; this is Coach K's program and he should dictate the next coach.

5. John > Coleman makes so much more sense now.

6. Thanks Coach. I entered Duke as a frosh in '03. All I know with regards to Duke basketball is you. Enjoy retirement! I know my dad has.
    A few other posters have made your point #4 that the coaching tree is not one of K's assets meaning he hasn't produced any above average coaches, I guess. But compared to who? Name me for me, if you will,
    some other seasoned coaches that over the years have produced coaches that you would say are better than those coming under K?
    "I wanted it to be in my hands," Roach said of his game-sealing drive. "I wanted to take—I wanted that moment."

"Definitely was a bit personal for me," Roach added. "I mean, what happened last year, obviously, but just wanted to come out here and do anything I can to get this win, and we did that." Duke-Carolina, Cameron Indoor, Feb. 4th 2023