Page 4 of 17 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by kAzE View Post
    Um . . . isn't Wojo available?

Wow, it's going to be weird with no Coach K on the bench after all these years. Hopefully he stays on with Duke basketball in some oversight capacity. I love that he immediately made it public that Jon would be the successor. He must really believe in Jon. He's a damn good recruiter, that's for sure. Good luck to Coach this season. Let's get that 6th title!
    did K say that, or did Goodman say that?
    1200. DDMF.

Quote Originally Posted by wilson View Post
    If Duke were to hire any other 35 year-old who's never been a head coach, wouldn't people be flipping out?
    Obviously I love Jon Scheyer and I can understand the rationale behind that (supposed) line of thinking, but I don't at all think that's the best possible hire, even if staying within "the family" is a requirement (which I don't think it should be anyway).
    It's definitely unsettling to go with the option that's 0/0, though perhaps less unsettling than the plethora of options that are 0/1 or 0.5/2? It would have been nice if Collins's success at NW could have been more than a flash in the pan.

Seems like it was decided long ago that we were going to stay in the family. While I agree with you, unless we were going to poach someone truly elite, like Stevens or Wright, which was unlikely, I think anyone else we chose would have had similar risks.

When will Hamilton, Larranaga, and Boeheim retire?

Is Tony Bennett about to be the best coach in the league hands down?

Quote Originally Posted by PackMan97 View Post
    how many other coaches have announced a swan song?
    Famously, Al McGuire in 1977, before Marquette rampaged through the tournament and a succession of North Carolina teams like Sherman marching through Georgia.

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by CameronDuke View Post
    When will Hamilton, Larranaga, and Boeheim retire?

Is Tony Bennett about to be the best coach in the league hands down?
    Excuse ME. does, or does not Josh Pastner still coach in this league
    1200. DDMF.

Quote Originally Posted by wilson View Post
    Thanks for the clarification, but the specific number isn't really relevant to my larger point: that this is, to me, a surprisingly and somewhat needlessly risky hire, and that I'm not particularly bullish on the coming era of Duke basketball.
    Got it, wasn’t meaning to correct you to put you down or anything.

The hire, if true, would be questionable no doubt. But equal parts exciting to me.

Go Duke!

Quote Originally Posted by uh_no View Post
    Excuse ME. does, or does not Josh Pastner still coach in this league
    ACC Champion!

Quote Originally Posted by scottdude8 View Post
    Side note: if I'm Scheyer, and he is indeed the coach-in-waiting, my first priority right now is doing everything in my power to keep Nolan around as his assistant as long as possible. Second priority would be following the Juwan Howard model and finding another assistant who has HC experience to guide him (perhaps another round from Capel?).
    100% on Nolan.

Maybe bring back Wojo... (would probably too wierd)

Or just go all in on a 2010 reunion (no not Brad S) and get Singler or Zoubek on the bench.

To me the obvious choice was Jeff Capel III.

He is another one of Coach K’s “guys”.

But he has a program to build at Pitt and the timing wasn’t as much in synch for him to come back to Duke.

What a historic day in Duke Basketball today has turned out to be!

Quote Originally Posted by JayZee View Post
    100% on Nolan.

Maybe bring back Wojo... (would probably too wierd)

Or just go all in on a 2010 reunion (no not Brad S) and get Singler or Zoubek on the bench.
    Perhaps Johnny D.?

Quote Originally Posted by CDu View Post
    It happens. The MSU example of Heathcoate giving way to Izzo is one. FSU naming Jimbo Fisher as Bobby Bowden's coach in waiting. It's not common, but it does happen.
    And who can forget... Jim Boeheim handing the reins over to Mike Hopkins at Syracuse? Whoops!

No one mentions Quinn Cook?

2 people's champ on one bench!

Lord Ash, DBR, 2007:

"Not to bash on ANYONE, tho, but damn, when K goes, I think this board will MELT DOWN for a year, no matter WHO takes over, unless MAYBE it was Shane Battier."

Having quoted that, I think this is an excellent time to announce. A one year Goodbye Tour, plenty of time to consider the successor (though they may already have one identified). He'll be 75, with the possibility of another solid chapter or two for himself without the eternal pressures of running a high profile program. Good for him.

Quote Originally Posted by UrinalCake View Post
    Someone please change the thread title to clarify it is happening after this season, so readers don’t have a heart attack.

I’m not terribly surprised, he’s what, 73 or 74 years old? The game has changed completely and will continue to do so. I’m really going to enjoy this last ride and then prepare for a new era.
    Maybe the mods are also announcing their retirement soon

Just kidding, but seriously this event definitely warrants a better thread title (no disrespect to the OP, obviously time was of the essence when the thread first went up).

Quote Originally Posted by CameronDuke View Post
    To me the obvious choice was Jeff Capel III.

He is another one of Coach K’s “guys”.

But he has a program to build at Pitt and the timing wasn’t as much in synch for him to come back to Duke.

What a historic day in Duke Basketball today has turned out to be!
    Capel did not capitalize on an elite 8 run at oklahoma, and has shown no signs of lifting pitt out of the bottom of the ACC. In the end, he hasn't made the tournament in 12 years (though obviously spent several of those at duke). He wasn't the obvious choice for anything.
    1200. DDMF.

Quote Originally Posted by proelitedota View Post
    No one mentions Quinn Cook?

2 people's champ on one bench!
    Cook is just 28 and probably still wants to bounce around in the NBA (he made over $1 million this year despite being cut twice and playing just 23 games).

Quote Originally Posted by scottdude8 View Post
    Side note: if I'm Scheyer, and he is indeed the coach-in-waiting, my first priority right now is doing everything in my power to keep Nolan around as his assistant as long as possible. Second priority would be following the Juwan Howard model and finding another assistant who has HC experience to guide him (perhaps another round from Capel?).
    I cannot imagine Capel coming back to work under Scheyer. Not suggesting any bad blood, but it would just strike me as really odd. Coming back to work under K is different.

Quote Originally Posted by Acymetric View Post
    I cannot imagine Capel coming back to work under Scheyer. Not suggesting any bad blood, but it would just strike me as really odd. Coming back to work under K is different.
    I agree, he's not coming back unless fired and can't get another job. I'd personally hope Scheyer brings in some outside blood. "Brotherhood" or no, there is value to outside ideas.
    1200. DDMF.

Quote Originally Posted by Acymetric View Post
    Agreed. Capel ranked above Scheyer, so it would be an odd dynamic for him to come back and rank below Scheyer.

I do hope we land an assistant with some HC experience to help with the process though (again, if it indeed is Scheyer).

One thing that will be interesting to see is if Scheyer embraces the transfer market more than Coach K has.

I think Scheyer makes sense if you want Duke to continue to feel special. If you go hire the next Chris Beard you just end up being a place that imports culture, replacing it with a new one every so often. Staying within the family has huge risks, but if you think you have someone with the coaching chops then I think it also has huge advantages. If Scheyer is our coach next year, then I still feel like we're Duke.