Page 2 of 17 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast
    He came to Duke the year I was born. What a ride he's given me. This is the announcement I never really wanted to hear. Happy for him, very sad for all of us. This feels heavy on my heart today. G.O.A.T.

OK I have taken a breath.

This makes complete sense. The live period is over and the first Class of 2022 recruits are going to be on campus this weekend. This was going to leak out. Better to get out ahead of it, let Scheyer be the one to recruit the next class and have a smooth transition. This is incredibly smart timing.

"Krzyzewski is finalizing a search process with university officials to name Duke's associate head coach Jon Scheyer as the coach-in-waiting, sources tell ESPN."

Wow. How can something so expected be so shocking at the same time? Best wishes Coach K. Let's have an extremely memorable final season.

Been dreading this day for a long time. Gonna enjoy the hell out of this next year!

Also, may want to slightly lessen the shock and update the title of this thread that he's retiring after the upcoming season.

scottdude8 is offline Moderator, Contributor, Zoubek disciple, and resident Wolverine
    I know many were speculating this might be the case, but color me shocked. I thought we had another 5 years or so with Coach K. Perhaps the pandemic has weighed on him as hard as it has many of us.

Regardless, I think Coach K is doing this the right way by announcing this ahead of time and giving everyone a chance to say goodbye, as well as give the program a chance to fully prepare for his departure. Nina King now has a hell of a task in her first year on the job.

The 2021-22 squad might have more motivation than any squad in recent memory. Redemption for last year's struggles. Playing for the Crazies after a full year without them. Now, sending trying to send Coach K out on top. I think we have the squad that can do this right, and personally think the fact that many are sleeping on us (ESPN.com's most recent Way Too Early rankings had us still outside the Top 10) could make it all the sweeter.

A sad day to be a Duke fan, but that feeling must be tempered with recognition that Coach K is a human being, not the god we often revere him to be. He deserves to go out on his terms and enjoy his golden years his way.
    Scott Rich on the front page

Trinity BS 2012; University of Michigan PhD 2018
    Duke Chronicle, Sports Online Editor: 2010-2012
    K-Ville Blue Tenting 2009-2012

Unofficial Brian Zoubek Biographer
    If you have questions about Michigan Basketball/Football, I'm your man!

If it's gonna be Scheyer, it would be best to announce it soon so he can recruit but recruiting is gonna take a hit.

Quote Originally Posted by scottdude8 View Post
    The 2021-22 squad might have more motivation than any squad in recent memory. Redemption for last year's struggles. Playing for the Crazies after a full year without them. Now, sending trying to send Coach K out on top. I think we have the squad that can do this right, and personally think the fact that many are sleeping on us (ESPN.com's most recent Way Too Early rankings had us still outside the Top 10) could make it all the sweeter.
    That's a lot of pressure on a young team.

While I'm sad about the end of our time with him as coach, overall I have to say what I'm feeling most right now is happy. Happy for him and his family that he is able to step away and enjoy a different side of life while he's still young enough to be active. He has plenty of time left to be a dad, grandad, husband, etc., and to pursue new interests. Heaven knows he's earned it and I'm happy for him.

Quote Originally Posted by hallcity View Post
    If it's gonna be Scheyer, it would be best to announce it soon so he can recruit but recruiting is gonna take a hit.
    Regardless of who the next coach is, it would be smart to announce it as early as possible so the recruiting can start. That doesn't mean it's possible, but preferable.
    1200. DDMF.

We love you Coach K. That's all I got.
    "This is the best of all possible worlds."
    Dr. Pangloss - Candide

Another thought - weren't we all wondering recently why we seemed to be moving slow on next year's recruiting class? Might this be why?

Quote Originally Posted by hallcity View Post
    Yeah, the main value - from a program perspective - in letting this out now is that IF you already have the next guy in place it's easier to maintain recruiting. As you said, Scheyer isn't Coach K so we'll likely suffer on the recruiting trail if he's the guy (or, honestly, if it is anyone other than like a specific handful of coaches). But at least this way we can hopefully land guys who click with Scheyer (if it is Scheyer). The timing of the announcement certainly does feel like it will be Scheyer to be the guy, as we're about to really ramp up recruiting.

It also helps to explain why we haven't made any offers for the 2022 class yet. It appears that Coach K didn't want to sell kids on false goods by making the offer. Now, if it is Scheyer, he can make the offers himself as the coach-in-waiting.

https://twitter.com/Pp_doesit/status...41821984923651
    Paolo says --
    Last ride for tha goat
    Why are you wasting time here when you could be wasting it by listening to the latest episode of the DBR Podcast?

Quote Originally Posted by uh_no View Post
    Regardless of who the next coach is, it would be smart to announce it as early as possible so the recruiting can start. That doesn't mean it's possible, but preferable.
    Yes, which is only possible if the next coach is already on staff or not currently employed elsewhere. At least in the "as early as possible" timeframe.

Quote Originally Posted by uh_no View Post
    It's the Heathcoate-Izzo succession model. Announce the retirement and the successor (the lead assistant) a year in advance to smooth out the transition and provide stability.

Izzo was 40 years old and had been an assistant at Michigan State for 12 years when he took over.

If Scheyer is K's successor, he'll have been an assistant for eight years and will be 35 years old when he takes over.

So it's not that far off.
    "I swear Roy must redeem extra timeouts at McDonald's the day after the game for free hamburgers." --Posted on InsideCarolina, 2/18/2015

scottdude8 is offline Moderator, Contributor, Zoubek disciple, and resident Wolverine
    Quote Originally Posted by brlftz View Post
    Another thought - weren't we all wondering recently why we seemed to be moving slow on next year's recruiting class? Might this be why?
    Yup, I think that was one data point that was driving a lot of the speculation that this year might be K's last. While I'm sure there'll be plenty of discussion about whether Scheyer is the right pick to succeed Coach K, I think that it makes a lot of sense from a recruiting standpoint since he was supposedly the primary recruiter for many of our recent successes on that front. Setting things up in this fashion could help continuity wise on that front.
    Scott Rich on the front page

Trinity BS 2012; University of Michigan PhD 2018
    Duke Chronicle, Sports Online Editor: 2010-2012
    K-Ville Blue Tenting 2009-2012

Unofficial Brian Zoubek Biographer
    If you have questions about Michigan Basketball/Football, I'm your man!

I'd hate to be a player on this team. That's some pressure to send K out in style.

Not that kids at the level Duke recruits aren't used to a little pressure.

Out of curiosity, how many other coaches have announced a swan song? Most coaches keep it close to the vest and spring the news after their last season is over.

Quote Originally Posted by Tom B. View Post
    It's the Heathcoate-Izzo succession model. Announce the retirement and the successor (the lead assistant) a year in advance to smooth out the transition and provide stability.

Izzo was 40 years old and had been an assistant at Michigan State for 12 years when he took over.

If Scheyer is K's successor, he'll have been an assistant for eight years and will be 35 years old when he takes over.

So it's not that far off.
    i like Jon a lot, and frankly would prefer him over the other proteges who have already demonstrated that they aren't necessarily great HCs. IMO the least bad option for staying in the family.

Were he the choice, hypothetically, I have to imagine he'll maintain most of the current staff.
    1200. DDMF.

Not really shocked as the epidemic has been hard on folks specially older and those closer to retirement and able to afford to walk away. Though if I thought he'd stay 3 more years and leave once his grandson graduates.
    I'm so happy to have had him for all these years and appreciate he's doing it like this so we all could say good bye to him instead of him just walking away like Roy and Dean did at the end of their season's and not giving folks a chance to say good by and show him how much we've all appreciated him!!