cool Coach K interview with Ernie Johnson and Chuck Barkley...

For those that miss the "front page", they linked an interview with Coach K that I thought was very good... with very good stories.

https://www.foxnews.com/sports/coach...at-92-olympics

One tidbit that I liked. Have to scroll down the article to the video... They asked Coach K about Mickie and her wisdom/comments on Duke basketball. When Grayson had that steal and his "lets go" yell, he tells Mickie later that Grayson had amazing courage to do that as the 8th man on the team. Mickie disagreed, and said that wasn't the most amazing... she said the most amazing was that in Duke basketball's culture (Coach K's), the most amazing was that the team listened to the 8th man. (about the 22 minute mark)

Quote Originally Posted by gep View Post
    For those that miss the "front page", they linked an interview with Coach K that I thought was very good... with very good stories.

One tidbit that I liked. Have to scroll down the article to the video... They asked Coach K about Mickie and her wisdom/comments on Duke basketball. When Grayson had that steal and his "lets go" yell, he tells Mickie later that Grayson had amazing courage to do that as the 8th man on the team. Mickie disagreed, and said that wasn't the most amazing... she said the most amazing was that in Duke basketball's culture (Coach K's), the most amazing was that the team listened to the 8th man. (about the 22 minute mark)
    Great listen

Thx for that!!

That was a great 32 minute listen!!

Great Podcast!

Quote Originally Posted by duketaylor View Post
    That was a great 32 minute listen!!
    DBR mates, I also found this podcast to be highly informative, engaging and encouraging. Charles talked about his admiration for four coaches: John Thompson, John Cheney, Dean Smith and Coach K. He praised all four coaches for their shared primary goal: growing great young men. Charles also warmly thanked Coach for his friendship all through the years. How many such good friends does Coach K have?

K made clear that it wasn't the past year's difficulties, or the current state of the game, that led to his decision. He strongly believes in succession planning and is appreciative of Duke's supporting his plan. He wants to spend more time with his extended family and to move on to other activities. And he didn't want to mislead recruits.

K talked about the NCAA's bureaucratic inwardness, reactivity and ineptitude. Clearly, he has been fed up for decades. Recently, all the top coaches who regularly gather for discussions asked the NCAA for permission to extend the current eight hours per week allotted to basketball [four hours in the weight room, four on the court] to 12 hours. All of the players involved wanted this extra time. They have a lot of time before school starts and they are eager to get to know their teammates. NCAA turned down the request. As K said, this was a slam dunk, and still we couldn't get it passed.

But most of the podcast is positive and enjoyable to listen to. The affectionate, good-natured bantering among Charles, Ernie and K provides a nice interlude, given so much other heavy, not so positive, stuff going on.
    “I love it. Coach, when we came here, we had a three-hour meeting about the core values. If you really represent the core values, it means diving on the floor, sacrificing your body for your teammates, no matter how much you’re up by or how much you’re down by, always playing hard.” -- Zion

Quote Originally Posted by hustleplays View Post
    DBR mates, I also found this podcast to be highly informative, engaging and encouraging. Charles talked about his admiration for four coaches: John Thompson, John Cheney, Dean Smith and Coach K. He praised all four coaches for their shared primary goal: growing great young men. Charles also warmly thanked Coach for his friendship all through the years. How many such good friends does Coach K have?

K made clear that it wasn't the past year's difficulties, or the current state of the game, that led to his decision. He strongly believes in succession planning and is appreciative of Duke's supporting his plan. He wants to spend more time with his extended family and to move on to other activities. And he didn't want to mislead recruits.

K talked about the NCAA's bureaucratic inwardness, reactivity and ineptitude. Clearly, he has been fed up for decades. Recently, all the top coaches who regularly gather for discussions asked the NCAA for permission to extend the current eight hours per week allotted to basketball [four hours in the weight room, four on the court] to 12 hours. All of the players involved wanted this extra time. They have a lot of time before school starts and they are eager to get to know their teammates. NCAA turned down the request. As K said, this was a slam dunk, and still we couldn't get it passed.

But most of the podcast is positive and enjoyable to listen to. The affectionate, good-natured bantering among Charles, Ernie and K provides a nice interlude, given so much other heavy, not so positive, stuff going on.
    The bolded is another great part of the podcast…

That was a fun 32 minutes!
    Ozzie, your paradigm of optimism!

Go To Hell carolina, Go To Hell!
    9F 9F 9F
    https://ecogreen.greentechaffiliate.com

Quote Originally Posted by hustleplays View Post
    Charles talked about his admiration for four coaches: John Thompson, John Cheney, Dean Smith and Coach K. He praised all four coaches for their shared primary goal: growing great young men.
    3 outta 4 ain't bad.
    1200. DDMF.

Quote Originally Posted by uh_no View Post
    3 outta 4 ain't bad.
    I remain convinced that Coach K is a very good coach. I guess that reasonable minds can differ.
    “I love it. Coach, when we came here, we had a three-hour meeting about the core values. If you really represent the core values, it means diving on the floor, sacrificing your body for your teammates, no matter how much you’re up by or how much you’re down by, always playing hard.” -- Zion

Thank you for sharing this. I just finished watching it over my second cup of coffee. It is so good and so informative. Great contributions from all three. I love that Charles values education and that free education is not to be laughed at. I don't know what the percentage of college basketball players that make a living playing professionally. I read somewhere less than two percent. I don't know if that counts playing overseas.

Again thank you for sharing. I don't think there is a wasted minute in the entire interview.

Quote Originally Posted by OZZIE4DUKE View Post
    That was a fun 32 minutes!
    I think the most interesting tidbit of information is that K will be keeping his current office. Jon won't be moving up to the top floor for a while...
    Ozzie, your paradigm of optimism!

Go To Hell carolina, Go To Hell!
    9F 9F 9F
    https://ecogreen.greentechaffiliate.com