Page 15 of 17 FirstFirst ... 51314151617 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by weezie View Post
    And in addition to trees there will now be the inevitable discussion of K vs. Wooden which will last unto eternity.

But, I already know the correct answer. Just ask me.
    Who do you have in the K vs. Wooden debate?

Quote Originally Posted by CameronBornAndBred View Post
    So Coach K's last game in Cameron will be against Carolina.
    With 82 - 50 revisited?

This team should be primed to give 110% effort in practice and on playing D this year. Nobody will want to get put in Ks doghouse for lack of effort. That extra motivation should give this young team a nice edge.

New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley
    Quote Originally Posted by DukieInKansas View Post
    With 82 - 50 revisited?
    Leaving Hubert with a lifetime goosegg vs. K.
    Q "Why do you like Duke, you didn't even go there." A "Because my art school didn't have a basketball team."

For those of you who don't read the front page.

https://www.dukebasketballreport.com...uke-basketball

Quote Originally Posted by jimsumner View Post
    For those of you who don't read the front page.

https://www.dukebasketballreport.com...uke-basketball
    I appreciate it when someone links these — I don’t always catch the articles on the front page. As noted above, I love the lead off quote about the succession plan. This bit of the article was the one that will last the longest in my mind: “ If there was a theme, it was a simple, yet powerful theme. You need someone to believe in you and take a chance on you and then you have to honor that belief by doing the best you can to live up to it.”
    Carolina delenda est

I'm usually a fan of The Ringer - some of their work is better than others, but overall they do a good job and bring an interesting perspective.

This, on the other hand, is a huge hack job of every bad Duke stereotype. I should have quit after the second paragraph with the reference to "Cameron Indoor Arena." I thought they were better than this, but I guess Bill Simmons is too busy sucking up to the cool kids.

https://www.theringer.com/2021/6/2/2...uke-retirement

Quote Originally Posted by DukieInKansas View Post
    With 82 - 50 revisited?
    That was my last game in Cameron as a Duke student. All my other friends went to the post-game bonfire, I went straight to my car and cried the whole way home. Super emotional, but what a way to end it! I'd love for Coach K to ride off into the sunset with that outcome, followed in kind by a national championship a month later.

Quote Originally Posted by UrinalCake View Post
    Some Questions To Ponder are starting to form in my mind...

Will Krzyzewskiville adopt a new name? Or will it always be called Krzyzewskiville? If the name does change, I would vote for "Scheyer Shire"

If Capel had chosen to turn down the Pitt job three years ago and remained on staff, would he now have been named the next coach in waiting? I always assumed he needed to leave and prove himself as a head coach before he would be considered as K's replacement, but now the opposite appears to be true and Scheyer is being rewarded for his loyalty.

If Covid had never happened, would K be retiring THIS season? According to CBS's latest podcast, K has been contemplating retirement for a while but was really unhappy with how last season went down and would not let that be the lasting memory people have of his career. Had it been a normal season and we went to, say, the sweet 16, would he then be ready to hang it up now?
    It needs to always be called Kzyzewskiville... that was Coach K's clear and strong wish.

I'm sure others on this board were there, but at the "Team Meeting", the night before the 1998 unc game, speaking on Cameron's legacy (juxtaposed against The Smith Center), and discussing how he wanted it to always be called Cameron, Coach K said "My biggest wish, is that they always call it Krzyzewskiville".
    Hard at work making beautiful things.

New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley
    Quote Originally Posted by Edouble View Post
    It needs to always be called Kzyzewskiville... that was Coach K's clear and strong wish.

I'm sure others on this board were there, but at the "Team Meeting", the night before the 1998 unc game, speaking on Cameron's legacy (juxtaposed against The Smith Center), and discussing how he wanted it to always be called Cameron, Coach K said "My biggest wish, is that they always call it Krzyzewskiville".
    It literally has a sign and a plaque. That's pretty permanent.

5a8b572fd6daf.image.jpg
    Q "Why do you like Duke, you didn't even go there." A "Because my art school didn't have a basketball team."

Always is a long time, but it will stay Krzyzewskiville for at least our respective lifetimes, and I have no idea how old you are. Who would even try to change it?

That may be more meaningful to him than Coach K Court, the originality of which he joked about at the press conference.
    Rich
    "Failure is Not a Destination"
    Coach K on the Dan Patrick Show, December 22, 2016

Quote Originally Posted by Phredd3 View Post
    Always is a long time, but it will stay Krzyzewskiville for at least our respective lifetimes, and I have no idea how old you are. Who would even try to change it?
    If it changes it will be organic, not fiat. The change would be earned and made by the student residents.

5a8b572fd6daf.image.jpg

This seems like as good of a place as any to ask this question...once upon a time (2000, so two years after he expressed the desire that Krzyzewskiville always have that name), my roommate and I presented Coach K with a second copy of that sign to commemorate the unveiling of the sign that's in CB&B's photo. My attached photo was used in a book that was published a few years later, and it appears that the original never made it back to Duke University Photography. Does anybody have a similar photo? I'd love to get ahold of a copy.

Sign.jpg

Roy Williams, interviewed on the day Coach K announced his retirement. (YouTube link here and embedded below)

It's worth watching. He's very complimentary. I was going to make up some quotes for the sake of humor, but with Roy being Roy, I didn't have to.

"Alan told me, I guess on the last hole back there, and so I've had 500 yards to think about it."
    "In the old days, it was a little easier. There weren't as many teams. There weren't as many teams in the Final Four [?] and some other things."
    "The only thing wrong with Mike Krzyzewski is that he doesn't play golf."
    "Michael doesn't need Roy Williams giving him advice."
    "You know, the rain is coming, and I'll tell you, as much as I like you, I ain't staying here much longer."

LA Times article on who's the GOAT

Commentary: Mike Krzyzewski is the greatest? Only since John Wooden retired

https://www.latimes.com/sports/ucla/...wooden-retired

Quote Originally Posted by Bay Area Duke Fan View Post
    Only since John Wooden retired
    In a sense that's correct. Until he walked away, Wooden was unquestionably the GOAT. Then he got overtaken, by a lot.

Quote Originally Posted by brevity View Post
    Roy Williams, interviewed on the day Coach K announced his retirement. (YouTube link here and embedded below)

It's worth watching. He's very complimentary. I was going to make up some quotes for the sake of humor, but with Roy being Roy, I didn't have to.
    I was bored and checked out IC for a few minutes. Currently the top three threads are about Duke. And there are 11 separate threads about Duke, K and Scheyer on the front page. Talk about living rent free in someone else’s head! Okay, gotta go hit the showers.
    “Coach said no 3s.” - Zion on The Block

Not sure what other thread to put this in so this seemed kinda appropriate.

Article at The Athletic today about a rising freshman phenom named Darryn Peterson -- that's the Class of 2025 -- kid from Ohio who already has a bunch of high major offers. The quote that concerns me is this:

“We have been talking to Kansas and Kentucky and plan to take an unofficial visit to Duke soon,” his father said. “His ideal schools were Duke and Kentucky. But now that Coach K (Mike Krzyzewski) left, it’s just Kentucky, North Carolina and Kansas as of now. The blue bloods. We’re in contact with those guys. Those schools are reaching out."

I hope the way he put that was either a slip or not really indicative of what he meant, as he still says that his son is taking a visit to Duke, so that's good. But I just hope that is not a sign that recruits and/or their families may not think of Duke in the same way they did once Coach K is gone. Obviously we will be different, but you still want to be thought of in the group of the most elite basketball schools to choose from. And as an aside, in this dad's mind, somehow UNC minus Roy is still a blueblood, but Duke minus K isn't??

Article is here:
    https://theathletic.com/2711574/2021/07/19/that-kid-is-only-14-class-of-2025-standout-darryn-peterson-impresses-lebron-james-and-high-majors/?source=dailyemail

Quote Originally Posted by tommy View Post
    Not sure what other thread to put this in so this seemed kinda appropriate.

Article at The Athletic today about a rising freshman phenom named Darryn Peterson -- that's the Class of 2025 -- kid from Ohio who already has a bunch of high major offers. The quote that concerns me is this:

“We have been talking to Kansas and Kentucky and plan to take an unofficial visit to Duke soon,” his father said. “His ideal schools were Duke and Kentucky. But now that Coach K (Mike Krzyzewski) left, it’s just Kentucky, North Carolina and Kansas as of now. The blue bloods. We’re in contact with those guys. Those schools are reaching out."

I hope the way he put that was either a slip or not really indicative of what he meant, as he still says that his son is taking a visit to Duke, so that's good. But I just hope that is not a sign that recruits and/or their families may not think of Duke in the same way they did once Coach K is gone. Obviously we will be different, but you still want to be thought of in the group of the most elite basketball schools to choose from. And as an aside, in this dad's mind, somehow UNC minus Roy is still a blueblood, but Duke minus K isn't??

Article is here:
    https://theathletic.com/2711574/2021/07/19/that-kid-is-only-14-class-of-2025-standout-darryn-peterson-impresses-lebron-james-and-high-majors/?source=dailyemail
    One man's stupid opinion.
    "This is the best of all possible worlds."
    Dr. Pangloss - Candide