Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Yes, K succeeding Stephens would be one of the great judo moves in hoop history.

Pretty clear that as formulated, the Celts are going nowhere.

I can't imagine a guy who has been THAT good of a coach not having an insane passion for COACHING. Has Steven's really coached his last basketball game? Seems impossible. The whole thing just feels... wrong.

Agree with whoever said upthread that Steven just might not be cut out to manage NBA egos/personalities - an unfortunate MAJOR component to being a successful NBA coach.

I dunno how people can say Brad would never leave the GM job in Boston when essentially none of us would have guessed he's leave the coaching job...who knows what the man thinks?

I happen to think the Celts are at something of a dead end, they have some bad contracts, I don't see how they get out of that situation for at least a couple years.

Quote Originally Posted by budwom View Post
    I dunno how people can say Brad would never leave the GM job in Boston when essentially none of us would have guessed he's leave the coaching job...who knows what the man thinks?

I happen to think the Celts are at something of a dead end, they have some bad contracts, I don't see how they get out of that situation for at least a couple years.
    I don't follow the NBA closely (at all), but wasn't it just a short time ago that the Celtics had brilliantly stockpiled draft picks and was Master of Their Domain?

Quote Originally Posted by dudog84 View Post
    I don't follow the NBA closely (at all), but wasn't it just a short time ago that the Celtics had brilliantly stockpiled draft picks and was Master of Their Domain?
    Boston appeared to be the belle of the ball about the time they took Tatum. Ainge had a ton of draft picks available, cap flexibility, and a promising young team. Unfortunately, he made a few mistakes. The first was signing Gordon Hayward (probably at the behest of Stevens) to a max contract instead of using those draft picks as trade capital. Yes, Hayward's injury made it look worse, but Hayward wasn't a max contract guy even before the injury. They could have, for example, traded for an in-his-prime Jimmy Butler and paired him with Irving and made a real run at things for a few years. Instead, they wound up getting a bunch of picks that they couldn't afford to keep (and were less valuable anyway once the lottery played out), and overpaid Al Horford, and the opportunity was gone.

The Kemba deal — they owe him $73 mil over the next two years — is a bad contract but I don’t see any other deals on their books that look awful. Tristan Thompson ain’t worth what they are paying him, but that’s only 1 more year at like $9 mil, not exactly a cap destroying contract. I don’t see anything else that is a huge problem for them and both Tatum and Brown are young and still not yet quite in their prime.

The team still likely needs to add one more piece but I don’t see them being in an awful spot and they have enough trade exceptions and expiring deals (and future draft picks) so that they may be able to make some good trades to work out a way to get that final piece of the puzzle.
    Why are you wasting time here when you could be wasting it by listening to the latest episode of the DBR Podcast?

Quote Originally Posted by bundabergdevil View Post
    I did not know Stevens wanted to stop being a coach.
    Quote Originally Posted by Wahoo2000 View Post
    I can't imagine a guy who has been THAT good of a coach not having an insane passion for COACHING. Has Steven's really coached his last basketball game? Seems impossible. The whole thing just feels... wrong. Agree with whoever said upthread that Steven just might not be cut out to manage NBA egos/personalities - an unfortunate MAJOR component to being a successful NBA coach.
    This doesn't make any sense to me, either. The Woj article has the following line:
    "Stevens, who has been coach for the past eight seasons, has been described as worn down with coaching since The Bubble and welcomed the chance to make the transition to the front office, sources said."

Quote Originally Posted by JasonEvans View Post
    The Kemba deal — they owe him $73 mil over the next two years — is a bad contract but I don’t see any other deals on their books that look awful. Tristan Thompson ain’t worth what they are paying him, but that’s only 1 more year at like $9 mil, not exactly a cap destroying contract. I don’t see anything else that is a huge problem for them and both Tatum and Brown are young and still not yet quite in their prime.

The team still likely needs to add one more piece but I don’t see them being in an awful spot and they have enough trade exceptions and expiring deals (and future draft picks) so that they may be able to make some good trades to work out a way to get that final piece of the puzzle.
    One major problem is that they're just good enough to make the playoffs, but not bad enough to get high draft picks...I agree with CDu, the Hayward deal was a bad one, and Kyrie not working out was a blow they won't recover from soon.
    Everyone including me thought Danny The Magician would turn his plethora of draft picks into a juggernaut, and it didn't happen.

Quote Originally Posted by Billy Dat View Post
    This doesn't make any sense to me, either. The Woj article has the following line:
    "Stevens, who has been coach for the past eight seasons, has been described as worn down with coaching since The Bubble and welcomed the chance to make the transition to the front office, sources said."
    Recharge those coaching batteries, Brad, and we'll be in touch.

One major problem is that they're just good enough to make the playoffs, but not bad enough to get high draft picks...I agree with CDu, the Hayward deal was a bad one, and Kyrie not working out was a blow they won't recover from soon.
    Everyone including me thought Danny The Magician would turn his plethora of draft picks into a juggernaut, and it didn't happen.
    In football I am usually in favor of the accumulating draft picks strategy as there are so many positions to fill, plus depth. Basketball only has five players on the court at a time and it is a superstar league, so at some point, you can almost have too many draft picks and they can become a burden to unload. Most of success in the NBA is convincing superstars to sign with you via free agency, having one of the top picks in a year when there is a clear stud like LeBron or KD and/or finding a Giannis in the draft. Plus keeping those players healthy.

From what I have listened to over the years on NBA pods, it seemed like Austin Ainge was in-line to replace his Dad. This could signal a huge front office reboot which, if you look at the lack of results over the past few years despite their war chest of assets and cap space, maybe was called for.

I assume this plan must have been discussed for some time, it just surprises me that Stevens, a completely unproven front office exec, is being given this opportunity. Maybe his wife will come and work with him, considering that she acts as his agent.

Quote Originally Posted by CrazyNotCrazie View Post
    In football I am usually in favor of the accumulating draft picks strategy as there are so many positions to fill, plus depth. Basketball only has five players on the court at a time and it is a superstar league, so at some point, you can almost have too many draft picks and they can become a burden to unload. Most of success in the NBA is convincing superstars to sign with you via free agency, having one of the top picks in a year when there is a clear stud like LeBron or KD and/or finding a Giannis in the draft. Plus keeping those players healthy.
    yes, that's what they're going to have to do...but ya know, it may take a lot of salesmanship on the part of Tatum to get another mega star to join the team given the town's reputation in some circles vis a vis black players.

I kind of think that's overblown, but it is an issue...

Quote Originally Posted by Billy Dat View Post
    From what I have listened to over the years on NBA pods, it seemed like Austin Ainge was in-line to replace his Dad. This could signal a huge front office reboot which, if you look at the lack of results over the past few years despite their war chest of assets and cap space, maybe was called for.

I assume this plan must have been discussed for some time, it just surprises me that Stevens, a completely unproven front office exec, is being given this opportunity. Maybe his wife will come and work with him, considering that she acts as his agent.
    It's all part of the secret Duke plot to install Stevens as MBBall head coach AND Athletic Director in a few years. Everything has been worked out behind the scenes, Duke gave the "okay" to thr Celtics for him to get experience this way.

Quote Originally Posted by CrazyNotCrazie View Post
    That has definitely been a take over the past year especially, that picks exist only to leverage them into proven superstars with a goal toward repeatedly going "all in" when the window presents itself. While the Celtics haven't draft well since Tatum, I think they most got unlucky with Hayward's injury and Kyrie's flakiness.

This post did not age well... Took less than ten minutes.
    Why are you wasting time here when you could be wasting it by listening to the latest episode of the DBR Podcast?

Quote Originally Posted by JasonEvans View Post
    This post did not age well... Took less than ten minutes.
    is anyone surprised K is retiring? He'll be 75 at the end of the season...

is anyone surprised K is retiring? He'll be 75 at the end of the season...
    I thought he'd hold out while joey was still there. unsurprised he doesn't want to put up with direction the game is going.
    1200. DDMF.

Quote Originally Posted by uh_no View Post
    I thought he'd hold out while joey was still there. unsurprised he doesn't want to put up with direction the game is going.
    Are he and Baker that close?

Quote Originally Posted by Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15 View Post
    I assume he meant Michael and not Joey. Especially since Joey might be leaving after this coming year anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by CDu View Post
    I assume he meant Michael and not Joey. Especially since Joey might be leaving after this coming year anyway.
    sorry, yes. Joey Savarino IS K's grandson, just the wrong one.
    1200. DDMF.