Thread: Austin, Texas

Austin, Texas

My wife and I are heading to Austin in October. I have not been there since in 1975. We have a long weekend with my son and his family, will be babysitting the best 18 month old grandson in the world for one night while my son and his partner attend a wedding.

What beer gardens do you all recommend? Barbecue - I don't want to do one of those places where you get in line at 9:00 a.m. - what do you recommend?

I'd love to hear some music. I don't want to stay out late - are there bars or venues that have late afternoon, early evening music?

What else do you recommend?

Quote Originally Posted by MartyClark View Post
    ...What else do you recommend?
    I recommend that you take an extra bib and wet wipes for the toddler at the bbq joint and only order light beer for him at the honky tonk. Babies are notorious lightweights when it comes to partying. Plus they never pick up the tab.
    Nothing incites bodily violence quicker than a Duke fan turning in your direction and saying 'scoreboard.'

Where are you staying? I suggest walking distance to the Congress Avenue Bridge, so you can trek out there and watch the bats come out at sunset. 18 month old may not know what is going on, but it is cool and there will be enough people that will engage with him.
    ~rthomas

My wife and I are heading to Austin in October. I have not been there since in 1975. We have a long weekend with my son and his family, will be babysitting the best 18 month old grandson in the world for one night while my son and his partner attend a wedding.

What beer gardens do you all recommend? Barbecue - I don't want to do one of those places where you get in line at 9:00 a.m. - what do you recommend?

I'd love to hear some music. I don't want to stay out late - are there bars or venues that have late afternoon, early evening music?

I went there two and a half years ago for the first time. My best friend was getting married. He's a musician and runs with a crowd that doesn't keep hours anything close to mine. It made me wish I was half my age - so many fun places to go for music, booze, etc. I was there four nights. Four more might have put me in the ground.

Definitely a fun place. Don't try and "keep up" with the younger folks.

Quote Originally Posted by weezie View Post
    I recommend that you take an extra bib and wet wipes for the toddler at the bbq joint and only order light beer for him at the honky tonk. Babies are notorious lightweights when it comes to partying. Plus they never pick up the tab.
    My grandson is a great party guy. We had the annual, extended family trip to Sanibel Island two weeks ago. Per usual, we went to a great brew pub, Point Ybel, for their Wednesday night trivia. My grandson loved the dogs, the music and the excitement. He and his parents left early with no underage drinking. The old timers stayed and almost won the trivia contest for the second year in a row.

There is music in Austin in October.

https://www.aclfestival.com/

My grandson is a great party guy... My grandson loved the dogs, the music and the excitement. He and his parents left early...
    Classic Baby dodge on picking up the check!
    Nothing incites bodily violence quicker than a Duke fan turning in your direction and saying 'scoreboard.'