Page 41 of 68 FirstFirst ... 31394041424351 ... LastLast
    How does bringing jobs to a community destroy it?

Quote Originally Posted by niveklaen View Post
    How does bringing jobs to a community destroy it?
    It's tearing up a large tract of forest
    1000 acres or more . Noise traffic influx of homes which destroy more forest .infrastructure grocery stores ect that destroy even more .so on and so on.
    Could have easily been built in a big city that has abandoned neighborhoods where a lot of the homes or businesses are in need of demolition anyway
    I'm no tree hugger but I do appreciate
    Forests and rural living .just as those
    That like big city living .
    I appreciate the jobs .but the panthers defunct training facility in Rock Hill would have been a better place in my opinion .it's under demolition.
    Still would have provided jobs in my state with less of a footprint.

Quote Originally Posted by wavedukefan70s View Post
    1000 acres or more . Noise traffic influx of homes which destroy more forest .infrastructure grocery stores ect that destroy even more .so on and so on.
    Could have easily been built in a big city that has abandoned neighborhoods where a lot of the homes or businesses are in need of demolition anyway
    I appreciate the jobs .but the panthers defunct training facility in Rock Hill would have been a better place in my opinion .it's under demolition.
    That makes perfect sense to me. Agree 100%.

That track of land is owned by Richland County. They've been doing the development planning for years to turn it into an industrial and commercial park. The town of Blythewood has been working with them to make sure it didn't become a bunch of big box stores. The county started clearing it out and grading parts of it back in 2021. VW (Scout) just happens to be the business the county (and state) landed for it. If not them, it would be someone else. I'd argue that an auto EV plant will have less of an impact than another manufacture. The site is on I-77 with quick access to I-26. That means the plant can tap into the supply chain hub that BWM helped create in Spartanburg. No need for suppliers to setup shop in Blythewood like they did for BWM. It's also right in the middle between the port in Charleston and the inland port in Greer so only minimal additional infrastructure. The new battery plant can also take advantage of this. Volve (Polestar) and Mercedes (eSprinter) are building EVs down there in our neck of the woods. In the distant future maybe even Boeing will start to electrify their aircraft. They all need batteries. It's not far from Columbia/Lexington and USC so it can tap into that labor market because well Blythewood just doesn't have the numbers. I'm sure that's were the bulk of the workforce will come from. That doesn't mean Blythewood won't grow but it will grow slower. 4000+ new jobs is going to impact any area. The Panthers training facility is only around 200 acres. That's a parking lot for an auto plant. Plus the housing market doesn't need the additional pricing pressure. Charlotte already does enough of that for the area.

Rural SC communities have to change to survive. Marion should be a frightening example of what happens if they don't. The state doesn't give much attention unless you're on an interstate and they aren't expanding those will any sleep.
    Last edited by Kdogg; 03-05-2023 at 06:02 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Kdogg View Post
    That track of land is owned by Richland County. They've been doing the development planning for years to turn it into an industrial and commercial park. The town of Blythewood has been working with them to make sure it didn't become a bunch of big box stores. The county started clearing it out and grading parts of it back in 2021. VW (Scout) just happens to be the business the county (and state) landed for it. If not them, it would be someone else. I'd argue that an auto EV plant will have less of an impact than another manufacture. The site is on I-77 with quick access to I-26. That means the plant can tap into the supply chain hub that BWM helped create in Spartanburg. No need for suppliers to setup shop in Blythewood like they did for BWM. It's also right in the middle between the port in Charleston and the inland port in Greer so only minimal additional infrastructure. The new battery plant can also take advantage of this. Volve (Polestar) and Mercedes (eSprinter) are building EVs down there in our neck of the woods. In the distant future maybe even Boeing will start to electrify their aircraft. They all need batteries. It's not far from Columbia/Lexington and USC so it can tap into that labor market because well Blythewood just doesn't have the numbers. I'm sure that's were the bulk of the workforce will come from. That doesn't mean Blythewood won't grow but it will grow slower. 4000+ new jobs is going to impact any area. The Panthers training facility is only around 200 acres. That's a parking lot for an auto plant. Plus the housing market doesn't need the additional pricing pressure. Charlotte already does enough of that for the area.

Rural SC communities have to change to survive. Marion should be a frightening example of what happens if they don't. The state doesn't give much attention unless you're on an interstate and they aren't expanding those will any sleep.
    I'm not 100% sold that ev is the future.
    I'd love to be able to know the haz mat waste caused by them and the battery factory .hopefully minimal .
    Yes some can change to survive but at what cost.
    Lots of un answered questions that I'll read on. Quite a few companies have moved into my area. It's really a love hate relationship with me.

Not sure if your familiar with knightsville summerville area.
    It absolutely was a great area.
    Growth has destroyed it in my opinion.

I guess it just depends on ones preference for what quality of living they wish to have or what thier idea is.

Personally I don't need to see a soul for days I love to sit and listen to the forest .but I realize that isn't for everyone.
    .Hopefully it doesn't impact the area to negatively.

New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley
    This looks promising.
    The Argonne National Laboratory in the US has essentially cracked the battery technology for electric vehicles, discovering a way to raise the future driving range of standard EVs to a thousand miles or more.
    The joint project with the Illinois Institute of Technology (IIT) has achieved a radical jump in the energy density of battery cells. The typical lithium-ion battery used in the car industry today stores about 200 watt-hours per kilo (Wh/kg). Their lab experiment has already reached 675 Wh/kg with a lithium-air variant.

This is a high enough density to power trucks, trains, and arguably mid-haul aircraft, long thought to be beyond the reach of electrification. The team believes it can reach 1,200 Wh/kg. If so, almost all global transport can be decarbonised more easily than we thought, and probably at a negative net cost compared to continuation of the hydrocarbon status quo.
    https://www.yahoo.com/finance/news/c...140709581.html
    Q "Why do you like Duke, you didn't even go there." A "Because my art school didn't have a basketball team."

Quote Originally Posted by CameronBornAndBred View Post
    That appears to be world changing news! Best news for the climate in like forever.

Another round of price cuts, this time for Models S and X.

Being a “tree hugger” is a great compliment, imo. The continued destruction of the natural world dramatically lowers the quality of life for all living things, including humans, and if continued at the reckless and frenzied pace we’re on, will eventually lead to our undoing.

The battery technology breakthrough CBB linked above may well be the biggest tech achievement in 50 years. Battery capacity increasing 5 fold while eliminating or massively reducing the need for rare elements, all starting within 5 years or so?!?!

That means KWH costs plummeting, petro-propulsion becoming cost inefficient, and transition to will EVs driven by economics. KWH costs drop by order of magnitude, causing massive shift in petro-politics as GDP of oil dependent economies like OPEC/Russia/Venezuela get pummeled.

This has to be major good news for the planet. Batteries don't generate power but efficiently storing power is a game changer, right? Cities being able to cheaply turn to stored energy cuts need for new power plants and eliminates other inefficiencies. I'm no energy expert - but this is big!

New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley
    Quote Originally Posted by Skydog View Post
    The battery technology breakthrough CBB linked above may well be the biggest tech achievement in 50 years. Battery capacity increasing 5 fold while eliminating or massively reducing the need for rare elements, all starting within 5 years or so?!?!

That means KWH costs plummeting, petro-propulsion becoming cost inefficient, and transition to will EVs driven by economics. KWH costs drop by order of magnitude, causing massive shift in petro-politics as GDP of oil dependent economies like OPEC/Russia/Venezuela get pummeled.

This has to be major good news for the planet. Batteries don't generate power but efficiently storing power is a game changer, right? Cities being able to cheaply turn to stored energy cuts need for new power plants and eliminates other inefficiencies. I'm no energy expert - but this is big!
    Beyond just EVs, too. A battery technology that efficient will also be promoted for home use, whether in everyday solar or as backup generator options.
    Q "Why do you like Duke, you didn't even go there." A "Because my art school didn't have a basketball team."

Quote Originally Posted by CameronBornAndBred View Post
    Beyond just EVs, too. A battery technology that efficient will also be promoted for home use, whether in everyday solar or as backup generator options.
    Two words: Lithium futures.

Quote Originally Posted by camion View Post
    Plastics.

I don’t see how Musk isn’t just piling on the employment lawsuits with publicly engaging with an employee who could not confirm whether he had been fired or not.

Quote Originally Posted by bundabergdevil View Post
    I don’t see how Musk isn’t just piling on the employment lawsuits with publicly engaging with an employee who could not confirm whether he had been fired or not.
    The only way Leon Skum’s antisocial behavior will ever change is if he and all of his companies are denied coverage by every insurance company in the known universe. And he’ll tweet about The Great Woke Conspiracy.

Quote Originally Posted by camion View Post
    Maybe. Maybe not. The article says the new method may work with plentiful sodium. It would be less efficient than lithium but still twice as efficient as current batteries.

They are using nano-technology and I wouldn't be surprised if a whole new set of raw materials came into play.

Quote Originally Posted by Skydog View Post

“Breakthroughs” of this type fizzle way more often than not. Commercialization is always a challenge. But this is the way progress is made.

Quote Originally Posted by budwom View Post
    “Breakthroughs” of this type fizzle way more often than not. Commercialization is always a challenge. But this is the way progress is made.
    Maybe, but this wasn’t a proof of concept piece. They have already created the batteries with 5X energy density. And the article didn't have the usual caveats about the new method currently being extremely costly and requiring more science to make it practical. It is possible that the author left out info though so you might be right.

Quote Originally Posted by budwom View Post
    Back in 1974 or 1975, my uncle, who was named inventor of the year at IBM twice during his career, built a vehicle with four highly efficient electric motors, one in each wheel, and a small gas engine, and demonstrated 376 mpg.

He then tried to get companies interested in his idea but was stonewalled at every turn. His impression was that there was too much money to be made in oil and gas, and that people were much more interested in protecting their assets than they were in protecting the planet.

He was a true visionary. I'm sure hemis delighted looking down and seeing that the rest of the world is just now, almost 50 years later, finally beginning to turn toward his vision.

Quote Originally Posted by rsvman View Post
    Back in 1974 or 1975, my uncle, who was named inventor of the year at IBM twice during his career, built a vehicle with four highly efficient electric motors, one in each wheel, and a small gas engine, and demonstrated 376 mpg.

He then tried to get companies interested in his idea but was stonewalled at every turn. His impression was that there was too much money to be made in oil and gas, and that people were much more interested in protecting their assets than they were in protecting the planet.

He was a true visionary. I'm sure hemis delighted looking down and seeing that the rest of the world is just now, almost 50 years later, finally beginning to turn toward his vision.
    Interesting for me as a guy who spent a career at IBM. I recall as a kid the projection that nuclear power would be so cheap as to not require metering