Page 23 of 68 FirstFirst ... 13212223242533 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Section 15 View Post
    OK, Deja Vue all over again:

Attachment 14613

It's the Delorean Alpha5 EV, gull wing doors and all. According to sources, it will be available in 2024:

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/artic...date#xj4y7vzkg

No word yet if it includes a flux capacitor, but apparently it has a robust electric motor that can go from 0 to 60 mph in 2.99 seconds. Cocaine is optional...
    I don’t have great faith in Delorean’s ability to build cars but that is pretty.

electric aircraft

My neighbor's electric aircraft startup with a real achievement recently...a 1200+ mile journey, eight flight segments...note that one segment cost them $19 in electricity while their chase Cessna consumed $800 in fuel.
    https://www.flyingmag.com/electric-a...ss-six-states/

How soon can I buy one so I can fly to Duke football games? Several years and maybe $5 million should do it.

Quote Originally Posted by budwom View Post
    My neighbor's electric aircraft startup with a real achievement recently...a 1200+ mile journey, eight flight segments...note that one segment cost them $19 in electricity while their chase Cessna consumed $800 in fuel.

How soon can I buy one so I can fly to Duke football games? Several years and maybe $5 million should do it.
    If you had been an early round investor in the company that $5 million would now be pocket change for you as I’m guessing their ROI is pretty impressive. Flying to watch Duke games in the budwom suite at Wally Wade would be easy!

Quote Originally Posted by CrazyNotCrazie View Post
    If you had been an early round investor in the company that $5 million would now be pocket change for you as I’m guessing their ROI is pretty impressive. Flying to watch Duke games in the budwom suite at Wally Wade would be easy!
    Free drinks all around! After the last investment, the company is worth (on paper) $1.4 billion...not bad for my neighbor who still (I am told) holds more than half the stock. And it's nice to see mostly women in the photo of the test flight team.

I don't know that they have any revenue yet, but they have lots of big time investors and committed customers...they break ground on a $122 million factory very soon.

Quote Originally Posted by OldPhiKap View Post
    Given the choice of a weekend in Dallas, or a weekend in San Antonio, I assume SAN>>>DAL?
    Well I don't know what this has to do with electric cars other than whether you can reach them from a given location, but I would personally prefer San Antonio over Dallas. However, SAN >> SAT >> DAL >> DFW.

Quote Originally Posted by BigWayne View Post
    Well I don't know what this has to do with electric cars other than whether you can reach them from a given location, but I would personally prefer San Antonio over Dallas. However, SAN >> SAT >> DAL >> DFW.
    Sorry, wrong thread — I deleted it. Thanks for the response though!

Quote Originally Posted by BigWayne View Post
    or electric vehicles as the thread title states, may I add!

Plane looks neat and understand it is early days still but it took a week to fly 1200 nm from NY to Arkansas. May want to book a little more time than usual if you're traveling by way of one of those birds from New England to Wallace Wade.

Quote Originally Posted by budwom View Post

I remember as a child reading a fanciful book about a time in the near future when everyone had houses with helicopter blades that could fly anywhere at anytime. Apparently it was inspired by the late 40's fascination with helicopters as the new mode of transportation that would change the way we all got around.

OK, so what happens when everyone takes to the air? Where are the lane dividers, the stop signs, the altitude regulations? We have enough problems with our two-dimensional automotive travel. What happens when you add a third dimension and break the bonds that keep us to a paved roadway? It hurts my head to think how this might possibility work.

DFW is not an especially EV-friendly metro area. Predominantly 50kW chargers. EA stations on the periphery only (Denton, Westworth Village, and Royse City).

I remember as a child reading a fanciful book about a time in the near future when everyone had houses with helicopter blades that could fly anywhere at anytime. Apparently it was inspired by the late 40's fascination with helicopters as the new mode of transportation that would change the way we all got around.

OK, so what happens when everyone takes to the air? Where are the lane dividers, the stop signs, the altitude regulations? We have enough problems with our two-dimensional automotive travel. What happens when you add a third dimension and break the bonds that keep us to a paved roadway? It hurts my head to think how this might possibility work.
    At this point, we should have guidance computers trained up with machine learning that will keep us all safe. Not worried about it when the time comes.

Quote Originally Posted by mpj96 View Post
    Plane looks neat and understand it is early days still but it took a week to fly 1200 nm from NY to Arkansas. May want to book a little more time than usual if you're traveling by way of one of those birds from New England to Wallace Wade.
    i'm retired, what's the rush? With the VTOL version I can drop down onto East Houston St. in NYC, grab a pastrami sandwich and some black cherry soda, and head out again. Minor concern: no on board bathroom...note to self: save the soda can.

(the reason they went 1200 miles was merely to publicize the technology...the intended uses in real life are for single hop deliveries)..

Quote Originally Posted by LasVegas View Post
    Tesla in trouble again. 750 complaints in the US about vehicles just randomly stopping in the road while driving. Maybe they need to rethink their software development strategy over there.
    From what I've read the phantom braking has been an issue with the fully automated driving since it became available. I have to admit that as someone who tests software for a living I find it shocking that they would ship this software such a impactful defect. 750 isn't a big number but it's also not the real number. Many more people have had the issue IMHO.

Quote Originally Posted by bundabergdevil View Post
    They’re about to have a talent problem, too.
    Quote Originally Posted by howardlander View Post
    Yes they are, at least on the engineering side. No talented software or hardware engineer actually needs to work for Tesla, even if they want to work on electric cars. Elon really needs to stop behaving so erratically. His threat to lay off 10% of staff because he has a bad feeling about the economy seems almost psychotic to me.
    Many of us went from working in the office every day to working from home for 2 years. For me and my company we are now operating an hybrid model where individuals basically do what's best for them. I like to work from the office a few days a week to get out of the house and see a few people in person. I have just 1 co-worker that is going to the office Mon-Friday. Most of the guys on my team work 1 day a week from the office (we have a 'team' day where it's asked that you make if you can but it's really relaxed). When my manager took a survey quite a few responded back that they would prefer to work from home 100%. Have to admit, that surprised me because I got tired of it. We have also hired people that are remote (and will stay remote). That's not something that we would not have done before Covid and the adjustments we made. My point is that Elon is being tone deaf here. Right now it's a competitive market because engineers have realized that if they are working from home anyway, they can work for just about anyone anywhere. Not to mention that it's often lucrative to change companies (which makes me think that my 20 year work anniversary might not be a good thing). By requiring engineers to be onsite, Elon is putting his company at a competitive disadvantage. There will be attrition and backfilling positions with quality engineers will be more difficult. Note, that I do believe that having at least some time together in person does make a positive difference.

Wrecked Tesla burns up in junkyard

After reading this, my enthusiasm for EVs went down a notch. Any speculation on whether this is unique to Teslas or the issue is a still unresolved problem with lith-ion batteries?

https://www.autoblog.com/2022/06/21/...unkyard-video/

After reading this, my enthusiasm for EVs went down a notch. Any speculation on whether this is unique to Teslas or the issue is a still unresolved problem with lith-ion batteries?

https://www.autoblog.com/2022/06/21/...unkyard-video/
    It shouldn't have been a problem at all. Leaving the wreck there with the battery still in it is stupid. If a Liion battery does happen to burn, then yes, it burns very hot and tends to be difficult to extinguish. So the battery should have been removed and sent to a recycler immediately. But it is extremely rare for a battery fire to endanger a driver, and electric vehicles are involved in fewer fires than their gasoline counterparts. This isn't a Tesla problem, it is a junkyard that doesn't know how to salvage electric cars.

Quote Originally Posted by Phredd3 View Post
    It shouldn't have been a problem at all. Leaving the wreck there with the battery still in it is stupid. If a Liion battery does happen to burn, then yes, it burns very hot and tends to be difficult to extinguish. So the battery should have been removed and sent to a recycler immediately. But it is extremely rare for a battery fire to endanger a driver, and electric vehicles are involved in fewer fires than their gasoline counterparts. This isn't a Tesla problem, it is a junkyard that doesn't know how to salvage electric cars.
    Interesting. Obviously this is also an issue with hybrids, which have been around for quite a while. I can understand that junkyards aren't the most up-to-date on safety procedures with new technology, but how many decades does it take?

Thanks for the info.

Interesting. Obviously this is also an issue with hybrids, which have been around for quite a while. I can understand that junkyards aren't the most up-to-date on safety procedures with new technology, but how many decades does it take?

Thanks for the info.
    They’ll only learn if (1) they get sued or (2) their liability insurance company threatens to drop them.

In the interest of fairness and full disclosure …

https://www.nhtsa.gov/vehicle/2022/P...DR/RWD#recalls

Word is that this will be addressed starting next month, in a software update that will require a dealer visit.

I test drove the all-electric 2023 BMW iX SUV last weekend. I was blown away by how fast that thing can go. It tested at 0-60 in 3.4 seconds and it is every bit that fast. 60 to 90mph came at a blink of an eye. In addition to being super fast, it was fun to drive. Keep in mind, it's a full sized SUV. I think Tesla is in real trouble. These other automakers are going to make a real splash. I read this weekend that Hyundai/KIA is making a real dent in the EV market.
    https://www.bloomberg.com/news/artic...rket#xj4y7vzkg

Quote Originally Posted by nmduke2001 View Post
    I test drove the all-electric 2023 BMW iX SUV last weekend. I was blown away by how fast that thing can go. It tested at 0-60 in 3.4 seconds and it is every bit that fast. 60 to 90mph came at a blink of an eye. In addition to being super fast, it was fun to drive. Keep in mind, it's a full sized SUV. I think Tesla is in real trouble. These other automakers are going to make a real splash. I read this weekend that Hyundai/KIA is making a real dent in the EV market.
    https://www.bloomberg.com/news/artic...rket#xj4y7vzkg
    Wow, nice, lucky you. Thanks for the report.

Too bad for the masses that that vehicle starts at $85k...It appears to be similar in size to the X5 which is considered a "mid sized SUV" these days (seats 5), not quite "full size." As you said, KIA is looking to launch a bunch including a true full-size 7 seater (EV9).

I'm looking for a "mid size" SUV possibly for next vehicle, but $85k (and probably more after options) is too rich...BMW and Mercedez and definitely looking to make a dent in the EV market though, with Hyundia/Kia also making huge pushes. Of course, GM and Tesla have sold the most in the U.S. and want to maintain that. Toyota and some others seem further behind -- ironic given Toyota was really a catalyst with the Hybrids.