Page 11 of 68 FirstFirst ... 9101112132161 ... LastLast
    I read a Tesla Model 3 Group on Facebook (don't own one just keeping up because I hope it's my next car). I have seen several posts by people that have had their M3 brake unexpectedly as described. They weren't super happy about it!

Quote Originally Posted by Phredd3 View Post
    Can you decline an update altogether?
    You can choose to not install and keep your system as is. It gets harder to do over time as you miss out on valuable updates, and I believe service will force the upgrade if you ever need to take it in for anything. Last time Tesla updated the model s/x UI there were some that loved the old version and tried to hold off upgrading as long and possible. Not sure how successful they were.

I didn’t sign up for the autopilot beta so haven’t seen anything like what was described.

Quote Originally Posted by mkirsh View Post
    You can choose to not install and keep your system as is. It gets harder to do over time as you miss out on valuable updates, and I believe service will force the upgrade if you ever need to take it in for anything. Last time Tesla updated the model s/x UI there were some that loved the old version and tried to hold off upgrading as long and possible. Not sure how successful they were.

I didn’t sign up for the autopilot beta so haven’t seen anything like what was described.
    I was just curious because on my phone, I have disabled the auto-update feature, and usually wait to install the latest update until I can see whether or not it is really bug-free (unless there is an imminent security threat, in which case I suck it up and install immediately). I just wondered if you could do the same thing with a Tesla. It seems like it would be a useful thing to be able to do. There will always be early adopters who will just install, and I trust real-world bug reports more than I trust beta testing.

I was just curious because on my phone, I have disabled the auto-update feature, and usually wait to install the latest update until I can see whether or not it is really bug-free (unless there is an imminent security threat, in which case I suck it up and install immediately). I just wondered if you could do the same thing with a Tesla. It seems like it would be a useful thing to be able to do. There will always be early adopters who will just install, and I trust real-world bug reports more than I trust beta testing.
    <psa>Give it a few days, sure, but do install your phone and computer updates regularly. There are always security fixes in them.</psa>

Tesla's a different case, though.

-jk

Quote Originally Posted by -jk View Post
    <psa>Give it a few days, sure, but do install your phone and computer updates regularly. There are always security fixes in them.</psa>
    Agreed, and I typically check the security information first. Certain types of vulnerabilities will cause me to skip any bug check and update immediately. Most vulnerabilities have a user-trigger, though, and my personal security awareness is pretty good. If I'm unlikely to be vulnerable on that basis, only then will I assess bugginess prior to the update.

Most people aren't going to bother with that all that, and those people should just update.

I wondered about Teslas, in particular, though, since a buggy self-driving update could theoretically kill you.

Agreed, and I typically check the security information first. Certain types of vulnerabilities will cause me to skip any bug check and update immediately. Most vulnerabilities have a user-trigger, though, and my personal security awareness is pretty good. If I'm unlikely to be vulnerable on that basis, only then will I assess bugginess prior to the update.

Most people aren't going to bother with that all that, and those people should just update.

I wondered about Teslas, in particular, though, since a buggy self-driving update could theoretically kill you.
    Tesla seems to like letting their users be beta testers.

-jk

Quote Originally Posted by -jk View Post
    Tesla seems to like letting their users be beta testers.

-jk
    Scary stuff. Some regulation is long needed for Tesla.

Quote Originally Posted by LasVegas View Post
    Scary stuff. Some regulation is long needed for Tesla.
    My assumption is that the opening of the Supercharger network to non-Tesla vehicles (promised by Musk on the company’s Q2 earnings call; pilot currently underway in the Netherlands) was prompted by antitrust concerns. As an ID.4 owner, whatever the cause I’ll buy the adapter on day one.

The company’s ongoing low-intensity war with NTSB has been well documented.

Re the latest FSD update …

https://youtu.be/0-dwhwoeL6Y

Not feeling good about giving money to Elon. Also heard horror stories about his Jobs-like tirades to make engineers "get it done" resulting in suboptimal hardware/software implementations. Anyone have a rave review of a non-Tesla? Liking the Hyundai Kona at the moment.

Quote Originally Posted by burnspbesq View Post
    My assumption is that the opening of the Supercharger network to non-Tesla vehicles (promised by Musk on the company’s Q2 earnings call; pilot currently underway in the Netherlands) was prompted by antitrust concerns. As an ID.4 owner, whatever the cause I’ll buy the adapter on day one.

The company’s ongoing low-intensity war with NTSB has been well documented.
    I would love to hear about the ID.4 I haven't read anything from an actual owner yet...

Quote Originally Posted by elvis14 View Post
    I would love to hear about the ID.4 I haven't read anything from an actual owner yet...
    I’ve had mine (RWD Pro) since late April, and I love it. Net of the Federal income tax credit, it’s around $33.5K, and it’s an absurdly good value. It will run all day at 80-85 while giving >200 miles on a 80% charge. Around town, I easily get 300 miles on a “full tank.” For what it is—a mid-size SUV— acceleration is more than adequate (the AWD version is plenty quick), handling is best-in-class, and cargo capacity is endless. We did a 2,500 mile road trip (Austin to Asheville and back) with absolutely no drama of any kind. The charging curve: it’s not a Taycan or an e-Tron, but on a 150k EA station you can do 15-80 percent in around 32 minutes.

You’ll hear folks beef about the infotainment system, and to be fair it is sometimes laggy. I don’t find it confusing.

If I could find a set, I would swap the OEM Hankook tires for Michelin Pilot Sport EVs, which I think would tighten up the handling on twisty roads, but it’s not a must-do for most drivers.

I’ve had mine (RWD Pro) since late April, and I love it. Net of the Federal income tax credit, it’s around $33.5K, and it’s an absurdly good value. It will run all day at 80-85 while giving >200 miles on a 80% charge. Around town, I easily get 300 miles on a “full tank.” For what it is—a mid-size SUV— acceleration is more than adequate (the AWD version is plenty quick), handling is best-in-class, and cargo capacity is endless. We did a 2,500 mile road trip (Austin to Asheville and back) with absolutely no drama of any kind. The charging curve: it’s not a Taycan or an e-Tron, but on a 150k EA station you can do 15-80 percent in around 32 minutes.

You’ll hear folks beef about the infotainment system, and to be fair it is sometimes laggy. I don’t find it confusing.

If I could find a set, I would swap the OEM Hankook tires for Michelin Pilot Sport EVs, which I think would tighten up the handling on twisty roads, but it’s not a must-do for most drivers.
    One thing I saw posted about the e-tron once was someone got in a fender bender and Audi quoted a $30k bill for a relatively small repair...I wonder if there are some severe supply chain issues on parts still on some of these more "niche" vehicles (for now). I guess that might cause my some concern on making the plunge. Dunno if that also plagues VW. Thank you for sharing your experience.

Tesla FSD Beta

I have and love my Tesla Model 3. For the last week I have been a part of the FSD Beta program I do not love FSD Beta.

Tesla uses Artificial Intelligence to improve the self driving. I now think of the FSD Beta as providing data to Tesla for the improvement. It is not something that now is very useful in real world driving.

Sometimes things go very well. Gradual stop at a red light, go when green, stay in lane on curvy road, other times not so. Sudden stop 5 feet in front of a stop sign, swerve all over the road, strange acceleration.

Tesla should require anyone using FSD Beta to put a sign on their car indicating such, much like you see Student Driver signs. My biggest fear is that another driver will assume my car is being competently driven and will crash into me because I stopped too sudden or swerved unexpectedly. It does much better on roads with lane lines and some of my driving is in a residential neighborhood with lines.

Recently we were in Death Valley National Park and I did a lot of driving on very lightly traveled two lane road with what Tesla calls Traffic Aware Cruise Conrol and Autosteer. It did a very good job and kept a constant sped up and down hills and around curves much better than I could. It did sometimes want to brake unexpectedly at uphills.

I will keep with the Beta program, being very careful. I hope to see improvement as Tesla gets more data from more real world drivers.

SoCal

Thanks, that's great feedback. I would love to buy a Tesla, specifically M3P but with one daughter in college and another going next year, I just can't afford it. At the same time the dealer that sold me my Lexus is350 offered me a lot of money to buy it back (not sure if that's on trade in or just a buy back). So it's good to hear some positive feedback on another EV. It's enough for me to go investigate a bit. BTW, the infotainment system in my Lexus is awful. I really just wish I had Apple Car play at this point.

Quote Originally Posted by elvis14 View Post
    Thanks, that's great feedback. I would love to buy a Tesla, specifically M3P but with one daughter in college and another going next year, I just can't afford it. At the same time the dealer that sold me my Lexus is350 offered me a lot of money to buy it back (not sure if that's on trade in or just a buy back). So it's good to hear some positive feedback on another EV. It's enough for me to go investigate a bit. BTW, the infotainment system in my Lexus is awful. I really just wish I had Apple Car play at this point.
    CarPlay works flawlessly in my ID. And if you’re comparing total cost of ownership, don’t forget that ID owners get three years of unlimited free charging at Electrify America.

ICYMI.

https://www.cnn.com/2021/11/18/cars/...lyn/index.html

Esquire political columnist Charlie Pierce’s riff on this is pure comedy gold, if you can find it (his pieces don’t have much shelf life).

CarPlay works flawlessly in my ID. And if you’re comparing total cost of ownership, don’t forget that ID owners get three years of unlimited free charging at Electrify America.
    Does the ID have adaptive cruise control?
    Kyle gets BUCKETS!
    https://youtu.be/NJWPASQZqLc

Quote Originally Posted by Furniture View Post
    Does the ID have adaptive cruise control?
    What's that? Like a fancy version of Siri but with Elon Musk yelling insults at you?

Quote Originally Posted by bundabergdevil View Post
    What's that? Like a fancy version of Siri but with Elon Musk yelling insults at you?

Some might call it a Volkswagen.

https://www.vw.com/en/models/id-4.html