Page 6 of 68 FirstFirst ... 456781656 ... LastLast

Repurchase complete!

Quote Originally Posted by Phredd3 View Post
    That sounds like a great program. Please post a review here of the new model when you've had a chance to take delivery and kick the tires a little.
    I "closed" on the deal a week ago Saturday. Got word from my contact that my 2022 Bolt EV was at the dealership and the closing packet was on the way. A few days later I contacted the manager and we set a time. I brough my 2017 Bolt, keys, title and registration with me and arrived for our appointment. They were expecting me and took photocopies of our licenses, then I got to see the new car and do a test drive (kind of unnecessary but there were a few nuances worth having the sales rep there to walk me through).

After that we went to finance to sign a crap-ton (wanker filter?) of analog and digital forms. The digital forms were on a MS Surface display in the finance guy's desk which was pretty cool and functional. Got the new keys and were off - awaiting a check from the settlement which still confounds me. Happy to go through all the $ figures if anyone's interested but it's somewhat shocking to me that I drove out of there with a brand new car and they are sending me money.

As far as new features/upgrades - wireless Android Auto/Apple Carplay; bigger and higher res screen; updated and more responsive console software; physical tuner button; physical hvac levers below the screen; multi-way electric driver's seat adjustments including lumbar support; bigger battery/more range (238-259 although the old Bolt was maxing at 190 after the recall fix); comfier seats, changes to internal and external lighting. Oh and I added the adaptive cruise which is a feature I've had on my 2017 Honda CR-V for 4 years. Fast charging is now standard.

The rear camera when you put it into reverse is super hi-def. But oddly they took the HD camera rearview mirror away. I liked that but it was only useful part of the time. My next door neighbor got an EUV and it's in there.

So far I think it drives/handles better. Amazing to start at 260, drive from Durham to Sanford and back last weekend and arrive home with 160 on the battery, close to what was recently my max.

Feel super fortunate since the week before this finalized they announced another recall for the 17/19 Bolt batteries. *sigh*

The Tesla Truck that turns into a camper. Man, I just think the Tesla Truck is ugly --- adding the camper doesn't help.

Quote Originally Posted by bundabergdevil View Post
    The Tesla Truck that turns into a camper. Man, I just think the Tesla Truck is ugly --- adding the camper doesn't help.
    I read this thread because I'm interested in EV's and if I wasn't paying tuition for 1 (soon to be 2) college students, I'd be driving a Tesla. That said, WRT the Tesla truck...I just don't get it. Its styling is just so polarizing. I'm on the "holy crap is that truck ugly" side.

Quote Originally Posted by elvis14 View Post
    I read this thread because I'm interested in EV's and if I wasn't paying tuition for 1 (soon to be 2) college students, I'd be driving a Tesla. That said, WRT the Tesla truck...I just don't get it. Its styling is just so polarizing. I'm on the "holy crap is that truck ugly" side.
    Yep. The other Tesla models are good looking cars…not sure why they went the way they did with cybertruck. Strikes me as jumping the car of the future is now vibe shark.

Yep. The other Tesla models are good looking cars…not sure why they went the way they did with cybertruck. Strikes me as jumping the car of the future is now vibe shark.
    Maybe they made them ugly so people wouldn't want them, since you can't actually get one yet.

Quote Originally Posted by budwom View Post
    Maybe they made them ugly so people wouldn't want them, since you can't actually get one yet.
    Sort of like me before mama allowed me to start dating at 23?

I moved. Now 12 miles from Heaven, 13 from Hell
    Isn’t it still a concept vehicle, so the final styling will change?

If not, it’s on the level of the Pontiac Aztec.

Quote Originally Posted by DU82 View Post
    Isn’t it still a concept vehicle, so the final styling will change?

If not, it’s on the level of the Pontiac Aztec.
    It's allegedly going into production by late next year, so assuming that's the truth, it's well beyond being just a concept car. It seems like something out of a bad 1960s cartoon.

Quote Originally Posted by budwom View Post
    It's allegedly going into production by late next year, so assuming that's the truth, it's well beyond being just a concept car. It seems like something out of a bad 1960s cartoon.
    I also think it’s gross but they apparently have 1.25m pre-orders so someone likes it.

Quote Originally Posted by mkirsh View Post
    I also think it’s gross but they apparently have 1.25m pre-orders so someone likes it.
    There's no accounting for no taste.*

*In this case I think a double negative is still negative.

I actually think it looks pretty cool.

I actually think it looks pretty cool. Sounds like I might be the only one.

The truck that will change how people think about EVs: https://www.ford.com/trucks/f150/f150-lightning/2022/

300 mile range
    Power your home for 3 days
    Cheap for an EV truck - Starting at $39,974

I'm not really a truck person. I want this: https://www.bmwusa.com/future-vehicl...c-vehicle.html
    ~rthomas

Quote Originally Posted by rsvman View Post
    I actually think it looks pretty cool. Sounds like I might be the only one.
    31229509-E655-4BDA-B616-972518AE0604.jpeg

Quote Originally Posted by rthomas View Post
    The truck that will change how people think about EVs: https://www.ford.com/trucks/f150/f150-lightning/2022/

300 mile range
    Power your home for 3 days
    Cheap for an EV truck - Starting at $39,974

I'm not really a truck person. I want this: https://www.bmwusa.com/future-vehicl...c-vehicle.html
    The only issue would be towing. I go from about 25 mpg to 15 mpg when I tow with my F-150. If you get a similar drop with the electric range, that’s a tough sell. Although most people that buy trucks will never even put a hitch ball on….

Quote Originally Posted by rthomas View Post

Agreed. This looks really great, though not cheap

My power went out for about 24 hours (in 95 degree heat no less) last week, including overnight. That made me think about the niceness of having a "diversity of systems" that I rely on. If I had an electric vehicle, I assume would have been more frustrating...not that I'm against EVs by any measure, but can see things like that as well as urban dwellers who don't have garages or even parking spots, that the convenience of gas will be hard to replicate. As well as long family road trips. But where there's demand and the need, hopefully the infrastructure will grow to accommodate.

Quote Originally Posted by Bluedog View Post
    My power went out for about 24 hours (in 95 degree heat no less) last week, including overnight. That made me think about the niceness of having a "diversity of systems" that I rely on. If I had an electric vehicle, I assume would have been more frustrating...not that I'm against EVs by any measure, but can see things like that as well as urban dwellers who don't have garages or even parking spots, that the convenience of gas will be hard to replicate. As well as long family road trips. But where there's demand and the need, hopefully the infrastructure will grow to accommodate.
    Or if you had an EV that was mostly charged you could have gone and sat in it for AC or used it to charge your devices.

Prius Prime update: I took the car on its first major road trip a couple weekends ago.* My son and I traveled around 450 miles in two days to and from a camp he attended. We followed the user manual suggestion to use EV-only mode for the in-town, short distance stuff, but once on the freeway to manually switch to full hybrid mode. Toyota says that is how their design is optimized. We had no recharge opportunity where we went, so I managed the EV mode driving carefully and was forcibly shifted out of EV mode only about a mile from home. So for the entire 400 mile trip we used only one full charge. We averaged 63 mpg for the trip, which mean even with the 35 "free" electric miles, we used less than six gallons of gas for the entire trip.

Seems pretty decent to me.

*Report here delayed by vacation to an internet-free zone followed by trips to bring twins to their respective colleges.

Quote Originally Posted by Bluedog View Post
    I wrote upthread about a solution for power outages and a way to charge an EV even if the grid is down. It is to combine solar panels with a battery backup, like a Tesla powerwall (there are a number of other brands available). Unlike with solar panels alone, if the power goes out, the combination of batteries and panels will continue to supply power to your home either from the sun or the batteries. This means that you can run your AC or charge your EV independently of your power company. So, if you have a place on your roof for solar panels and you have a significant problem with the electricity going out, this might be a good solution.

Section 15