Page 43 of 68 FirstFirst ... 33414243444553 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by CrazyNotCrazie View Post
    Self driving cars don’t need steering wheels? Though to mix my metaphors, I think they are putting the cart before the horse on that one…
    We have auto steering cranes you can cut off or on guided by GPS. When they work they work great when they don't it can go bad . Only if the human isn't paying attention.
    Auto driving cars with humans in control
    Just incase I believe are a realistic option .
    Well depending on the human .
    I couldn't put faith in a total self driving car .it was made by us and we make mistakes and systems fail and parts break.
    Assisted automation is fine I believe.

Ours is just a switch.

content foto mail

Ignore the duct tape that keeps someone from touching a switch .

It takes time to correctly map a road but once you do the GPS coordinates its fairly simple.

Between that and the automated distance sonar /radar in New cars .

We could be nearly wreck free in transportation in the future.
    Last edited by wavedukefan70s; 03-11-2023 at 06:52 AM.

New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley
    This could be huge.

In two years, Chicago will become the debut city for the first commercial electric air taxi route, according to a joint press release by Archer Aviation Inc. and United Airlines.
    Archer’s electric vertical takeoff and landing (eVTOL) aircraft will commute from O’Hare International Airpot to Vertiport Chicago, the largest vertical aircraft take-off and landing facility in North America, located in the Illinois Medical District near the Chicago Loop, the press release said.
    https://www.yahoo.com/news/chicago-d...160233602.html
    Q "Why do you like Duke, you didn't even go there." A "Because my art school didn't have a basketball team."

Quote Originally Posted by CameronBornAndBred View Post
    Have they hired George Jetson?

New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley
    Quote Originally Posted by TruBlu View Post
    Have they hired George Jetson?
    Joking aside, it took humans less than 70 years to go from the first "flown" powered flight to landing on the moon. And of course by that point, millions of travelers were flying every year on jet powered passenger planes. I see this as another very large step in how people will be moving around in the not too distant future. The fact that electric vehicles are about to be used to fly people commercially from point A to point B is very impressive.
    In the 30s, airlines had become profitable. That's crazy to think about, that in just three decades we had gone from the Wright Flyer to DC-3s.

Profits drive progress. When services such as the electric flying taxi make money, further innovation is going to move forward exponentially.
    I've got no doubt about that, and it will affect personal transportation as well. I'm not saying we'll all be flying (that's a scary thought, buncha Sunday folks out flying around with their turn signals on), but our cars, trucks, and buses will all be reaping the benefits.
    I can easily see EV transportation being the majority mode of travel within 20 years.
    Q "Why do you like Duke, you didn't even go there." A "Because my art school didn't have a basketball team."

Very unlikely in two years, but we'll see. A local company here is the clear leader in eVTOL aircraft and FAA certification is still a few years off.

If you want to know the state of the art now, check this out: https://www.beta.team/ Company value is now over $1.4 billion with Fidelity and others having invested hundreds of millions of dollars...and the company is run by a very very cool guy.

"One POSSIBLE future. From your point of view... I don't know tech stuff.".... Kyle Reese

Joking aside, it took humans less than 70 years to go from the first "flown" powered flight to landing on the moon. And of course by that point, millions of travelers were flying every year on jet powered passenger planes. I see this as another very large step in how people will be moving around in the not too distant future. The fact that electric vehicles are about to be used to fly people commercially from point A to point B is very impressive.
    In the 30s, airlines had become profitable. That's crazy to think about, that in just three decades we had gone from the Wright Flyer to DC-3s.

Profits drive progress. When services such as the electric flying taxi make money, further innovation is going to move forward exponentially.
    I've got no doubt about that, and it will affect personal transportation as well. I'm not saying we'll all be flying (that's a scary thought, buncha Sunday folks out flying around with their turn signals on), but our cars, trucks, and buses will all be reaping the benefits.
    I can easily see EV transportation being the majority mode of travel within 20 years.
    I'd love it but in my area I think it would be heavily restricted .
    With the military airbase near by plus commuter traffic.

I surely don't want to get hit by a c17
    Or any other aircraft for that matter.

I'll read up on the range .top speed isn't a issue 60 mph is fast enough with no stops.

Wonder what my job would think we scan in with a federal ID.

I'm really hoping for hydrogen cars /trucks . I'd personally benefit more from a combustion engine.

Another NHTSA investigation. This time, it’s seat belts that appear to be improperly fastened to the vehicle, leading to failures in 2022 and 2023 Model X. A recall is a possible outcome. If so, it would at lest be the third seat-belt-related recall in less than two years.

https://www.theverge.com/2023/3/28/2...-investigation

Tesla reports 422,875 deliveries for first quarter of 2023

Published Sun, Apr 2 202312:08 PM EDTUpdated 3 Hours Ago
    Lora Kolodny

Total deliveries Q1 2023: 422,875

Total production Q1 2023: 440,808

The first quarter numbers represent a 36% increase in deliveries compared to the 310,048 reported during the same period a year earlier, and 4% growth in deliveries sequentially compared to the 405,278 they company reported in the last quarter of 2022.

https://www.cnbc.com/2023/04/02/tesl...n-numbers.html

On average, the Wall St analysts were expecting 432k deliveries, so the price cuts Tesla implemented may not have spurred as much demand as some were expecting.

Texas legislature is considering a proposal to slap a $400 initial registration fee (and $200 renewal) on all EVs. In principle I don’t mind replacing the gas tax I’m not paying, so long as it’s actually channeled into highway construction and maintenance. But I don’t trust any Texas Republican any farther than I can throw him or her.

Quote Originally Posted by burnspbesq View Post
    Texas legislature is considering a proposal to slap a $400 initial registration fee (and $200 renewal) on all EVs. In principle I don’t mind replacing the gas tax I’m not paying, so long as it’s actually channeled into highway construction and maintenance. But I don’t trust any Texas Republican any farther than I can throw him or her.
    You can't trust a California Democrat either, but you can probably throw them further.

Quote Originally Posted by burnspbesq View Post
    Very blue Illinois charges $406 for initial reg fee and $250 annual fee for EVs. Non-EVs are only 100 bucks less though.

I agree that EVs should also have to pay taxes that contribute to road maintenance given they are users of the roads just as much as ICE vehicles.

Illinois has doubled the gas tax in recent years though as well with an annual automation inflation hike -- used to be in the middle, now #3 highest.

Disturbing.

“Tesla Workers Shared Sensitive Images Recorded by Customers’ Cars”

https://www.reuters.com/technology/t...rs-2023-04-06/

Dr. Jill in Vermont

https://vtdigger.org/2023/04/05/duri...e-development/

Jill Biden visited Burlington, Vt yesterday where she had a look at Beta Technologies' s leading edge eVTOL aircraft...

Sold my infiniti q50s hybrid. Awesome car. Fast, great handling, fun to drive. But i found out if had to replace the batteries it was going to be 18K. Hahahahhaha no thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by DevilFalcon View Post
    Sold my infiniti q50s hybrid. Awesome car. Fast, great handling, fun to drive. But i found out if had to replace the batteries it was going to be 18K. Hahahahhaha no thanks.
    You need a better mechanic or a better google; the cost is about $825.

https://repairpal.com/estimator/infi...placement-cost

I mean, really?

Quote Originally Posted by OldPhiKap View Post
    You need a better mechanic or a better google; the cost is about $825.

https://repairpal.com/estimator/infi...placement-cost

I mean, really?
    That's the accessory battery, not the high voltage traction battery. Here's the same site's quote for the correct part: https://repairpal.com/estimator/infi...placement-cost. So yeah, the $18k quote is probably a little bit pricier than it should be, but it isn't off by an order of magnitude. High voltage traction batteries are expensive.

Quote Originally Posted by Phredd3 View Post
    That's the accessory battery, not the high voltage traction battery. Here's the same site's quote for the correct part: https://repairpal.com/estimator/infi...placement-cost. So yeah, the $18k quote is probably a little bit pricier than it should be, but it isn't off by an order of magnitude. High voltage traction batteries are expensive.
    Wow, I replaced mine in a Lexus hybrid and it was a whole lot cheaper than that. If an Infinity battery is that much more expensive, I guess that’s a maintenance cost to factor in at time of purchase.

Most batteries are warranties for 8-10 years, so I guess you also need to factor in whether you’ve saved enough in gas over time to make up the gap (not sure you do, but it is a factor).

Quote Originally Posted by OldPhiKap View Post
    Wow, I replaced mine in a Lexus hybrid and it was a whole lot cheaper than that. If an Infinity battery is that much more expensive, I guess that’s a maintenance cost to factor in at time of purchase.

Most batteries are warranties for 8-10 years, so I guess you also need to factor in whether you’ve saved enough in gas over time to make up the gap (not sure you do, but it is a factor).
    I expect this is mostly about scarcity. The hybrid battery for the Infiniti is under 2KWh. My Prius Prime, which unlike the Q50 is a plug-in hybrid with an all-electric operation mode, is 8.8KWh and "only" costs $10K-$11K to replace. There's no reason in terms of battery capacity why the Infiniti battery should be that expensive.

FWIW, I expect to get about 4,000 full charge cycles out of my Prius Prime battery before it drops capacity enough to need replacement, based on various estimates I've read. With a Prius, I don't expect scarcity to be much of an issue. I currently get about 33-35 pure electric miles per full cycle, so I expect around 100K pure electric miles, and possibly more. At current battery and fuel costs, the break even point for the battery to pay for itself would be about 35mpg. That's a pretty conservative estimate, except it doesn't include the cost of the electricity. It also assumes that liquid fuel prices stay constant relative to battery prices, which I would find surprising. There are too many variables to know for sure, so I've just been assuming that the final cost will be roughly a wash. I'd love to see a hard data study from a reliable, peer-reviewed source on that, but I haven't found one.

Quote Originally Posted by Phredd3 View Post
    I expect this is mostly about scarcity. The hybrid battery for the Infiniti is under 2KWh. My Prius Prime, which unlike the Q50 is a plug-in hybrid with an all-electric operation mode, is 8.8KWh and "only" costs $10K-$11K to replace. There's no reason in terms of battery capacity why the Infiniti battery should be that expensive.

FWIW, I expect to get about 4,000 full charge cycles out of my Prius Prime battery before it drops capacity enough to need replacement, based on various estimates I've read. With a Prius, I don't expect scarcity to be much of an issue. I currently get about 33-35 pure electric miles per full cycle, so I expect around 100K pure electric miles, and possibly more. At current battery and fuel costs, the break even point for the battery to pay for itself would be about 35mpg. That's a pretty conservative estimate, except it doesn't include the cost of the electricity. It also assumes that liquid fuel prices stay constant relative to battery prices, which I would find surprising. There are too many variables to know for sure, so I've just been assuming that the final cost will be roughly a wash. I'd love to see a hard data study from a reliable, peer-reviewed source on that, but I haven't found one.
    That seems like a paper that needs writing. I smell a grant proposal.