Page 19 of 68 FirstFirst ... 9171819202129 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by burnspbesq View Post
    Word is that production will resume next week at the VW plant in Zwickau, which assembles ID.3, ID.4, Audi Q4 e-tron, and SEAT Cupra Born. No word on potential restarts at Porsche in Zuffenhausen, Audi in Brussels (where the big e-tron is assembled), or Skoda in Mlada Boleslav, Czechia.
    Great news!

https://europe.autonews.com/automake...n-ev-factories

Leoni, a key supplier of wire harnesses, said on Wednesday that it is ramping up production at its two plants in Ukraine -- with workers operating under a nighttime curfew and the risk of rocket attacks.

I am most assuredly not a Truck Guy, but it looks like Rivian knocked out out of the park with the R1T.

I am most assuredly not a Truck Guy, but it looks like Rivian knocked out out of the park with the R1T.
    I couldn't agree more. It's looks great, it's fast. I hope they make a good run of it...

Quote Originally Posted by PackMan97 View Post
    I bumped into a neighbor of mine yesterday (who happens to be German). He said that he was turning in his prior leased VW and they told him that they had an ID4 that someone had ordered but decided they didn't want, so he ended up getting it. I didn't get a lot of details but he said the price wasn't bad (unclear if he bought or leased) and it had a few more features than he would have wanted but it was fine. He said that normally he likely would have had to wait up to a year for it so it wasn't even on his radar.

He parks in a garage in Manhattan and said that they are basically charging him the same amount for the EV as for his prior non-EV, and they are not charging him to charge, which I found very surprising. He frequently drives to see his in-laws in Montreal which is about 375 miles so was a bit anxious about charging on the way - it has about a 300 mile battery and a 20 minute full charge, but they are still building out charging stations on the NY Thruway, so there are a few, but one never knows if they will be working, how long the line will be, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by CrazyNotCrazie View Post
    I bumped into a neighbor of mine yesterday (who happens to be German). He said that he was turning in his prior leased VW and they told him that they had an ID4 that someone had ordered but decided they didn't want, so he ended up getting it. I didn't get a lot of details but he said the price wasn't bad (unclear if he bought or leased) and it had a few more features than he would have wanted but it was fine. He said that normally he likely would have had to wait up to a year for it so it wasn't even on his radar.

He parks in a garage in Manhattan and said that they are basically charging him the same amount for the EV as for his prior non-EV, and they are not charging him to charge, which I found very surprising. He frequently drives to see his in-laws in Montreal which is about 375 miles so was a bit anxious about charging on the way - it has about a 300 mile battery and a 20 minute full charge, but they are still building out charging stations on the NY Thruway, so there are a few, but one never knows if they will be working, how long the line will be, etc.
    if he brings me a pastrami sandwich he can charge up at my house while I eat.

Quote Originally Posted by budwom View Post
    if he brings me a pastrami sandwich he can charge up at my house while I eat.
    Deal - NY style on the way up, Montreal-style on the way back. Though I think you are pushing the outer limits of a charge from NYC...

Deal - NY style on the way up, Montreal-style on the way back. Though I think you are pushing the outer limits of a charge from NYC...
    There’s an EA station just off the intersection of Thruway and Northway in Albany, an off-brand station in Schroon Lake, and a Circuit Electrique station just over the border, so your friend should set range anxiety aside.

I dont believe theres any fueling stations near my area but the toyota Mirai is very interesting.

There’s an EA station just off the intersection of Thruway and Northway in Albany, an off-brand station in Schroon Lake, and a Circuit Electrique station just over the border, so your friend should set range anxiety aside.
    He is well aware of those and it is not like it stood in the way of him getting the car, but thanks for putting your google powers to work to find that information. But it is very rational to be a bit apprehensive about something until you have tried it, particularly when embarking on a long journey with two kids, a dog and a car full of gear. He is planning to stop in Albany, which would be a logical stopping point anyway. With the 20 minute full charge (and he wouldn't need a full charge at that point), by the time you plug in, go to the bathroom, walk the dog, and do whatever else, it isn't a long wait, assuming there is not a long wait for the chargers.

He is well aware of those and it is not like it stood in the way of him getting the car, but thanks for putting your google powers to work to find that information. But it is very rational to be a bit apprehensive about something until you have tried it, particularly when embarking on a long journey with two kids, a dog and a car full of gear. He is planning to stop in Albany, which would be a logical stopping point anyway. With the 20 minute full charge (and he wouldn't need a full charge at that point), by the time you plug in, go to the bathroom, walk the dog, and do whatever else, it isn't a long wait, assuming there is not a long wait for the chargers.
    Yes, I can definitely see the anxiety until such time as the process has been executed at least once. I know there are different charging stations, but there was a bit of a festouche around here a week ago when an advertised double charging station was put in place..and it was determined that if two cars were using the station simultaneously (as designed) it takes twice the advertised time to charge each vehicle...seems a bit of a flaw to me.

PlugShare and A Better Route Planner are must-have apps for EV owners.

https://www.cnn.com/2022/04/28/tech/...oss/index.html

Amazon dazzles Wall St. by reporting a $4 billion loss in the first quarter thanks to a $7.6 billion investment loss in Rivian ...Ford earlier reported a $5 billion loss on its Rivian stake...

Be careful out there—whatever you’re driving.

https://abcnews.go.com/Technology/wi...ornia-84851701

This will likely further depress the price of TSLA shares, which are down by half from their recent high.

Tesla is encountering a lot of issues right now...Elon's foray into buying Twitter isn't helping much...fascinating to see how Tesla does as the traditional automakers ramp up their efforts...

This will likely further depress the price of TSLA shares, which are down by half from their recent high.
    This is what the insurance industry has been waiting for. The potential issue is how much culpability if any is placed on the manufacturer.

Quote Originally Posted by YmoBeThere View Post
    This is what the insurance industry has been waiting for. The potential issue is how much culpability if any is placed on the manufacturer.
    I have to imagine A LOT of it will be the eventual answer.

Tesla really needs to turn the “autopilot” off. It’s not ready. It’s just not. The more this kind of stuff happens, the less the public will trust these systems when they really do work.

Quote Originally Posted by LasVegas View Post
    Tesla really needs to turn the “autopilot” off. It’s not ready. It’s just not. The more this kind of stuff happens, the less the public will trust these systems when they really do work.
    The YouTube channel Out of Spec Reviews has been testing driver assistance system on a stretch of I-70 in Colorado and filming the results. None has exactly covered itself in glory.

Quote Originally Posted by bundabergdevil View Post
    I have to imagine A LOT of it will be the eventual answer.
    I’d be surprised if the “I trusted Elon” defense does any better with juries than the “Trump ordered me to storm the Capitol” defense.

I’d be surprised if the “I trusted Elon” defense does any better with juries than the “Trump ordered me to storm the Capitol” defense.
    This comparison only holds water if the insurrectionists stormed the Capitol astride semi-autonomous robot Trumps engineered by Trump Corp, which they...(checks google)...did not.

I'm just saying the window of possibility to find out that Tesla knew of more issues with their software is pretty significant. Regulatory approvals and buyer bewares aside, if Tesla is ever found to have withheld anything, they could be in a world of VW dieselgate-level hurt.