Page 82 of 82 FirstFirst ... 3272808182
Results 1,621 to 1,631 of 1631
    Quote Originally Posted by cspan37421 View Post
    While I agree there's no info yet to conclude he did it intentionally, sometimes defenders do slide the foot under a shooter intentionally, and at least one well-known name admitted it:

https://sports.yahoo.com/jalen-rose-...nba.html?a20=1

I don't think we are likely to know intent without an admission, directly or indirectly (such as to a teammate). But you can infer it to a degree based on how natural you perceive the positioning of the defender. Sticking your feet out wide is pretty standard for boxing out. But if you're not in a box-out situation, why are you doing the hokey pokey out there on the perimeter?

In this case, it was right under the basket. But ... you're not supposed to get under a guy who is in the air (as Christian Laettner how he feels about that). Anyway, it's hard to know a fellow's mind. I'm inclined to think it's unintentional, due to the fast pace of play making it likely a muscle-memory move, and his otherwise good reputation, but it's nearly a toss up.
    I’ve seen the play 10 times in the last month. It is not dirty in the slightest. It is not reckless. It may be ‘over eager’, but that’s it.

Giannis went for the rebound cus he wants to help his team. Not sure he cared if it was Kyrie, Durant, or Griffin; he was going to box out and get that rebound. I love that mentality.
    Criticism may not be agreeable, but it is necessary. It fulfils the same function as pain in the human body. It calls attention to an unhealthy state of things. - Winston Churchill

President of the "Nolan Smith Should Have His Jersey in The Rafters" Club

Quote Originally Posted by cspan37421 View Post
    While I agree there's no info yet to conclude he did it intentionally, sometimes defenders do slide the foot under a shooter intentionally, and at least one well-known name admitted it:

https://sports.yahoo.com/jalen-rose-...nba.html?a20=1

I don't think we are likely to know intent without an admission, directly or indirectly (such as to a teammate). But you can infer it to a degree based on how natural you perceive the positioning of the defender. Sticking your feet out wide is pretty standard for boxing out. But if you're not in a box-out situation, why are you doing the hokey pokey out there on the perimeter?

In this case, it was right under the basket. But ... you're not supposed to get under a guy who is in the air (as Christian Laettner how he feels about that). Anyway, it's hard to know a fellow's mind. I'm inclined to think it's unintentional, due to the fast pace of play making it likely a muscle-memory move, and his otherwise good reputation, but it's nearly a toss up.
    We really have no way of knowing if
    Antetokounmpo knowingly and intentionally put his foot (and he has some pretty darn big feet!) in the landing space of Kyrie Irving while he was in the air and vulnerable.

However, what we do know with virtual certainty is that Antetokounmpo injuring Irving — intentional or not — was the single most important factor in the Bucks beating the Nets (and subsequently winning the NBA championship).
    Last edited by Steven43; 07-23-2021 at 11:33 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Steven43 View Post
    We really have no way of knowing if
    Antetokounmpo knowingly and intentionally put his foot (and he has some pretty darn big feet!) in the landing space of Kyrie Irving while he was in the air and vulnerable.

However, what we do know with something pretty close to certainty is that Antetokounmpo injuring Irving — intentional or not — was the single most important factor in the Bucks beating the Nets (and subsequently winning the NBA championship).
    Which is why I've always been consistent to say "unintentional, but reckless" when discussing the play. And having played a heck of a lot of basketball in my life, I instinctively NEVER slid my foot under a person who's in the air shooting. It just isn't done. Hence the rule about giving a guy space to land.

People can differ as to what is or isn't a reckless play on the basketball court. But whatever. I don't want to relitigate this.

Quote Originally Posted by SouthernDukie View Post
    Which is why I've always been consistent to say "unintentional, but reckless" when discussing the play. And having played a heck of a lot of basketball in my life, I instinctively NEVER slid my foot under a person who's in the air shooting. It just isn't done. Hence the rule about giving a guy space to land.

People can differ as to what is or isn't a reckless play on the basketball court. But whatever. I don't want to relitigate this.
    Hopefully no one litigates it!!!

Everyone is right about one thing – unless you hear an admission, we are all speculating as no one can say with certainty what is in someone’s mind. However, if this was Grayson Allen - the whole world would assume guilt without a discussion. Unfairly so in my view. But this is a very nice young man who does not have a reputation for conducting himself in a poor fashion so as to intentionally hurt someone. And for this reason, I give him the benefit of any doubt.

Quote Originally Posted by 1991 duke law View Post
    However, if this was Grayson Allen - the whole world would assume guilt without a discussion.
    If ever there were a mortal lock this would be it.

Everyone is right about one thing – unless you hear an admission, we are all speculating as no one can say with certainty what is in someone’s mind. However, if this was Grayson Allen - the whole world would assume guilt without a discussion. Unfairly so in my view. But this is a very nice young man who does not have a reputation for conducting himself in a poor fashion so as to intentionally hurt someone. And for this reason, I give him the benefit of any doubt.
    I must sadly agree.

The difference being Grayson Allen has a history of questionable plays that have earned his a higher level of scrutiny. Giannis gets the benefit of the doubt - not because he is a superstar, but because he does not have that history.

Quote Originally Posted by Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15 View Post
    The difference being Grayson Allen has a history of questionable plays that have earned his a higher level of scrutiny. Giannis gets the benefit of the doubt - not because he is a superstar, but because he does not have that history.
    Wasn’t really the point of what I was saying. But regardless, as I have said in multiple posts, - Giannis is a wonderful young man. And Grayson is condemned regardless with no proportionality. But hey, who am I to defend a Duke four year player who won us a NC?

Wasn’t really the point of what I was saying. But regardless, as I have said in multiple posts, - Giannis is a wonderful young man. And Grayson is condemned regardless with no proportionality. But hey, who am I to defend a Duke four year player who won us a NC?
    Yours wasn't the perspective I was intending to reply to. I meant it as a point about referring to Giannis' play against Kyrie as "dirty."

Grayson, for better or worse, has earned a degree of unnatural scrutiny. Giannis - to the point - has earned the benefit of the doubt through a complete lack of dirty play.

If both players were to perform the exact same offense, they would be treated very differently.

Sort of like how if almost any player not named CP3 makes contact to a players groin, we don't necessarily assume it was an intentional nut punch. But CP3 can do the same thing and would absolutely draw more attention.

Your body of work matters.

Quote Originally Posted by Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15 View Post
    Yours wasn't the perspective I was intending to reply to. I meant it as a point about referring to Giannis' play against Kyrie as "dirty."

Grayson, for better or worse, has earned a degree of unnatural scrutiny. Giannis - to the point - has earned the benefit of the doubt through a complete lack of dirty play.

If both players were to perform the exact same offense, they would be treated very differently.

Sort of like how if almost any player not named CP3 makes contact to a players groin, we don't necessarily assume it was an intentional nut punch. But CP3 can do the same thing and would absolutely draw more attention.

Your body of work matters.
    Those “benefits of the doubt” can be valuable. Ask Draymond Green…he wishes he would have cultivated one I’m sure.

Quote Originally Posted by bundabergdevil View Post
    Those “benefits of the doubt” can be valuable. Ask Draymond Green…he wishes he would have cultivated one I’m sure.
    Was Rasheed Wallace a hothead? Absolutely. Did refs pull quick Ts on him that wouldn't have been called on other players based on his rep? Without question.