Page 26 of 82 FirstFirst ... 1624252627283676 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by sagegrouse View Post
    Different problems to solve -- totally. The NFL has to fill the stadiums eight times a year plus a couple of exhibitions and maybe a playoff game or two. Moreover, TV revenue -- as pointed out above -- is shared equally.

Baseball's the toughest, I suppose -- 81 home dates. But baseball has been gifted with being the summer sport -- picnic atmosphere, kids in the stands. Baseball franchises prosper or suffer based on the size of their own TV contracts, which are far more important than the national contracts. Therefore -- Yankees, Dodgers and some others.

The NBA has 41 home dates -- many in the winter. I expect home TV contracts are also very important -- linked to fan base, but don't know how they compare with the ESPN, TNT national contracts.
    And football also has the most rigid salary cap restrictions, which allow/force teams to stay within range of each other in spite of market size. Baseball has no salary floor and a very soft cap, basketball has a floor and cap but allows teams to exceed the cap infinitely to keep their own players.

2. Quote Originally Posted by Skydog View Post
    He was going for the ball but pretty much didn’t care what he hit on the way. It was a long season, he played every game, was mentally & physically exhausted, down 3-0 and the Suns had just hit another tough 3 on the previous play. The frustration of it all got to him.
    Hence a flagrant one instead of a common foul. But flagrant two? Come on, the refs overstepped.

Are we all agreed that the Nets, without Irving or Harden, have no realistic chance to win the series now? I know that anything can happen. We all know that. But if things stay the way they are injury-wise, the Bucks are super heavy favorites now. Anyone care to disagree?

Quote Originally Posted by SouthernDukie View Post
    Are we all agreed that the Nets, without Irving or Harden, have no realistic chance to win the series now? I know that anything can happen. We all know that. But if things stay the way they are injury-wise, the Bucks are super heavy favorites now. Anyone care to disagree?
    Only a sith deals in absolutes.

Quote Originally Posted by Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15 View Post
    Only a sith deals in absolutes.
    Although I didn’t make a prediction or even push for an absolute. Only asking who folk think the favorite is now. Seems innocuous enough.

Wasn't the primary question since before the season started whether the Nets' Big Three was going to be healthy and able to stay on the court together? Because on paper that Big Three is the best in the league, most would agree, and they were a popular and betting favorite to win it. But the questions were: how will Durant be coming off Achilles surgery? Will he be at the same level as before? And then Kyrie staying healthy.

Ironically, the biggest question mark, that being Durant's recovery and return to form, has been answered emphatically in KD's favor, while the most durable of the three, that being Harden, has struggled with injuries. Meaning the Big Three was not on the court much this year, and not at all in the playoffs, at least not yet. Thus, other narratives matter now that probably wouldn't have mattered much had the Big Three been able to stay healthy together.

Quote Originally Posted by tommy View Post
    Wasn't the primary question since before the season started whether the Nets' Big Three was going to be healthy and able to stay on the court together? Because on paper that Big Three is the best in the league, most would agree, and they were a popular and betting favorite to win it. But the questions were: how will Durant be coming off Achilles surgery? Will he be at the same level as before? And then Kyrie staying healthy.

Ironically, the biggest question mark, that being Durant's recovery and return to form, has been answered emphatically in KD's favor, while the most durable of the three, that being Harden, has struggled with injuries. Meaning the Big Three was not on the court much this year, and not at all in the playoffs, at least not yet. Thus, other narratives matter now that probably wouldn't have mattered much had the Big Three been able to stay healthy together.
    They were on the court for exactly 8 games to be exact.

Although I didn’t make a prediction or even push for an absolute. Only asking who folk think the favorite is now. Seems innocuous enough.
    I predict that without Harden or Irving, it will be very difficult for Durant to win the whole banana. If there's a chance of one or both coming back, the Nets may be able to punt long enough to stay alive.

I predict that without Harden or Irving, it will be very difficult for Durant to win the whole banana. If there's a chance of one or both coming back, the Nets may be able to punt long enough to stay alive.
    Looking back, that game 3 loss was a lot bigger than many thought at the time.

It might also be a good idea for Milwaukee to put someone other than Jrue Holiday on Kevin Durant. Holiday is 6'3" and Durant shoots easily over guys 6" taller than he, or more. Whaddaya think coach? Maybe try a bigger guy who could maybe sorta kinda bother some of KD's shots once in awhile?

Jokic got all ball and barely touched the guy’s nose, if at all. There was a wind up and a big swing, but it was a basketball play and very nearly clean. Given everything, he definitely should not have been given a flagrant 2 and ejected.
    The Nets will lose in six if Kyrie or Harden don’t come back. It will still be tough if one of them comes back, they will win if both of them come back, at least the series versus the Bucks.
    I’m no Sith, but those are absolutes. Absolute opinions anyway…
    Last edited by kidA; 06-14-2021 at 01:58 PM. Reason: Typo

Quote Originally Posted by kidA View Post
    Jokic got all ball and barely touched the guy’s nose, if at all. There was a wind up and a big swing, but it was a basketball play and very nearly clean. Given everything, he definitely should not have been given a flagrant 2 and ejected.
    The Nets will lose in six if Kyrie or Harden don’t come back. It will still be tough if one of them comes back, they will win if both of them come back, at least the series versus the Bucks.
    I’m no Sith, but those are absolutes. Absolute opinions anyway…
    Healthy Kyrie and Durant wins this series 4-1. Healthy big 3 and every game is a blowout en route to a sweep.

Quote Originally Posted by tommy View Post
    It might also be a good idea for Milwaukee to put someone other than Jrue Holiday on Kevin Durant. Holiday is 6'3" and Durant shoots easily over guys 6" taller than he, or more. Whaddaya think coach? Maybe try a bigger guy who could maybe sorta kinda bother some of KD's shots once in awhile?
    They used PJ Tucker on him often yesterday, and it worked out pretty well. The only goal against KD is to try to slow him down, frustrate him.

Quote Originally Posted by dukebluesincebirth View Post
    They used PJ Tucker on him often yesterday, and it worked out pretty well. The only goal against KD is to try to slow him down, frustrate him.
    Yea, the refs allowed PJ Tucker to maul him. Pretty sure he won't be allowed to be so physical next game.

15. Quote Originally Posted by tommy View Post

My recollection before the season started were more along the lines of... Will Kyrie be a locker room cancer? How will Harden's iso-ball fit in? There's only one ball, how are these three going to play together? How much drama will these three divas generate? There were many on this forum asking those types of questions.

Quote Originally Posted by ice-9 View Post
    My recollection before the season started were more along the lines of... Will Kyrie be a locker room cancer? How will Harden's iso-ball fit in? There's only one ball, how are these three going to play together? How much drama will these three divas generate? There were many on this forum asking those types of questions.
    None of those have come to fruition. But the injury bug spares no one.

Quote Originally Posted by sagegrouse View Post
    A better measurement might be Standard Metropolitan Statistical Area (SMSA). Phoenix-Mesa-Chandler AZ is 10th at 5.06 million. The "small market" teams in the NBA are Utah, New Orleans, Oklahoma City, Milwaukee and Memphis -- with SMSA populations of between 1.24 and 1.57 million and national rank between 47th and 40th. Reputedly "small-markets" like San Antonio and Sacramento are about twice as large.
    I'm not a demographer and I didn't stay in a Holiday Inn last night. So, I'm spit-balling here. But for years our friends in the census bureau considered Raleigh and Durham as part of the same SMSA. Until the two cities started developing their downtowns and all of a sudden the concept of the Triangle SMSA went bye-bye. Note that if we combine these two, we have an SMSA with a population about that of the Cleveland SMSA.

And people who live in the Triangle think that the live in a region in which they work, shop, dine, drink, go to concerts and so many other things in a region. I've lived in the neighborhood since my freshman year at Duke in 1968 and if anything, the integration of this multi-county region seems stronger than ever.

And, as an aside, how does North Carolina not have a major-league baseball team, either in Charlotte or in the Triangle?

Back to your regular programming.

Quote Originally Posted by kidA View Post
    There could have been some embelishment on the part of Payne, but that's hard to determine. Likewise for Jokic, it didn't seem like he was being malicious, but we can't read his mind. Before leaving the court, Jokic went over to Payne and said a few words, which I assume was an apology, so I give him that for good sportsmanship.

Another way to look at market size is to look at the TV market. Cities like San Diego and San Antonio have smaller TV markets than cities with larger populations.

https://mediatracks.com/resources/ni...rankings-2020/

Quote Originally Posted by jimsumner View Post
    I'm not a demographer and I didn't stay in a Holiday Inn last night. So, I'm spit-balling here. But for years our friends in the census bureau considered Raleigh and Durham as part of the same SMSA. Until the two cities started developing their downtowns and all of a sudden the concept of the Triangle SMSA went bye-bye. Note that if we combine these two, we have an SMSA with a population about that of the Cleveland SMSA.

And people who live in the Triangle think that the live in a region in which they work, shop, dine, drink, go to concerts and so many other things in a region. I've lived in the neighborhood since my freshman year at Duke in 1968 and if anything, the integration of this multi-county region seems stronger than ever.

And, as an aside, how does North Carolina not have a major-league baseball team, either in Charlotte or in the Triangle?

Back to your regular programming.
    I hate to see you even compare the triangle to Cleveland. It would be so much better for baseball if the Cleveland team moved to North Carolina. Give them an excuse to change the team nickname, too.