Page 5 of 82 FirstFirst ... 345671555 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15 View Post
    Easy now. You do realize their series is tied one-one?
    An injured CP3 will doom the Suns.

Quote Originally Posted by SouthernDukie View Post
    I mean, he got injured last weekend. He played one half last night and they lost by three. I assume he will play more un coming games as he heals.

I know you are reverse woofing, but the idea that this series is over is patently absurd.

The Suns are a top seed for a reason. The Lakers are "good" for their seed. I expect this to go six or seven an could go either way.

The Lakers don't have this clear path to meet the Nets. Saying they do is disrespectful to a lot of other teams.

Quote Originally Posted by JasonEvans View Post
    Important to note that Kawhi can opt out this summer. He's only making $34 mil so he is pretty likely to do so if only to get a more fair contract (something in the $40+ mil area code). If the Clippers lose in the first round, he could very easily take his talents elsewhere in search of more rings.

The Clippers also gave up a ton of draft picks to OKC when they brought in PG (three firsts and 2 pick swaps) which could hamstring their ability to rebuild for a while. Balmer may have a lot of money to spend, but the team could still be in real trouble if Kawhi decides he wants to move on.
    Also important to note that Kawhi has only appeared in approximately 70% of Clippers regular season games in his two years with the franchise. So he's making $34 M -- and wants more -- when he shows up to work 7 days out of 10, whether it's due to actual injury or the oh-so-necessary "load management." Which is supposed to keep him fresh for the playoffs. Playoffs in which the Clippers have now lost five straight games, with neither opponent exactly being a powerhouse. He's a great player, don't get me wrong. But he hasn't led this team, which many observers feel has had one of the strongest rosters in the league both last year and this, anywhere but to first round embarrassment so far. He plays with no discernible emotion or passion, and does not appear to be a leader. If the Clips go out in the first round here to Dallas, I could see the franchise letting him walk and doing some rebuilding, figuring they can spend that kind of big money elsewhere and maybe get a better return on the investment than they've had thus far from Leonard.

https://nypost.com/2021/05/26/why-is...ared-of-birds/

OK, I guess I'm just having more trouble with reality these days, but what about Trae Young's fear of birds? (ornithophobia)...assuming this isn't from The Onion, what might the NY fans have in store for Trae? Could they dress Thibodeau in a penguin suit and have him munch herring on the bench? Release parakeets behind the bench?

And most of all, what about playing for a team called the Hawks if you have a bird phobia?

It's not unusual for CP3 to get injured. Hope he can make it back to playing well before the Lakers move on. Last night's game, especially after LBJ shoved Payne to the ground with a forearm to the neck and Payne got called for the foul, really makes one question the NBA and bring out the conspiracy theories (something the Lakers have benefitted from before). Even if I'm wrong, I dislike even having to wonder "Is this on the up and up?". Ratings pay the bills...

I can tell you first hand that officials in sporting events really don't like it when you call them out for home cooking :-)

Can we claim Ja Morant for his connection to Zion -- not yet 21 years old (both born in summer of 1999), South Carolina roots, teammates on AAU teams, and earning serious respect.

Memphis Grizzlies' Ja Morant downplays 47-point night, earns Utah Jazz's respect

According to ESPN Stats & Information research, Morant's 47 points were the most in NBA playoff history by a player age 21 or younger. The previous high was 45 by LeBron James. The only other players that young to hit the 40-point milestone during a postseason performance are Hall of Famers Magic Johnson and Tracy McGrady and Dallas Mavericks wunderkind Luka Doncic.

https://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/...s-utah-respect

Quote Originally Posted by roywhite View Post
    Can we claim Ja Morant for his connection to Zion -- not yet 21 years old (both born in summer of 1999), South Carolina roots, teammates on AAU teams, and earning serious respect.

Memphis Grizzlies' Ja Morant downplays 47-point night, earns Utah Jazz's respect

According to ESPN Stats & Information research, Morant's 47 points were the most in NBA playoff history by a player age 21 or younger. The previous high was 45 by LeBron James. The only other players that young to hit the 40-point milestone during a postseason performance are Hall of Famers Magic Johnson and Tracy McGrady and Dallas Mavericks wunderkind Luka Doncic.

https://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/...s-utah-respect
    If Zion were able to make it to the playoffs, perhaps he would be setting marks too.

I was just going to come here and note that Tyus Jones and Ja Morant combined for 49 points at PG for Memphis last night
    Why are you wasting time here when you could be wasting it by listening to the latest episode of the DBR Podcast?

Quote Originally Posted by Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15 View Post
    If Zion were able to make it to the playoffs, perhaps he would be setting marks too.
    Exactly. If he/Pels miss the playoffs again next year he has to make plans to bail on New Orleans. Getting into the playoffs when you are young help raise your profile tremendously. That's where reputations are made. Not in being great during the regular season.

I was just going to come here and note that Tyus Jones and Ja Morant combined for 49 points at PG for Memphis last night
    Math is off. You forgot to add Grayson to that mix!

Quote Originally Posted by bundabergdevil View Post
    Math is off. You forgot to add Grayson to that mix!
    Grayson didn't play PG.
    Why are you wasting time here when you could be wasting it by listening to the latest episode of the DBR Podcast?

Exactly. If he/Pels miss the playoffs again next year he has to make plans to bail on New Orleans. Getting into the playoffs when you are young help raise your profile tremendously. That's where reputations are made. Not in being great during the regular season.
    What makes you think Zion is getting out of New Orleans anytime soon? After two more years of his rookie contract, won't Zion be a RFA, meaning the Pels can match any offer Zion gets, which they most certainly will. NBA contract experts - am I missing something?

Yes, but it was a gorgeous two points:

Grayson didn't play PG.
    Ohhhhhh....

Quote Originally Posted by Hartford Dukie View Post
    What makes you think Zion is getting out of New Orleans anytime soon? After two more years of his rookie contract, won't Zion be a RFA, meaning the Pels can match any offer Zion gets, which they most certainly will. NBA contract experts - am I missing something?
    Nope, they will likely control him for either 6 or 7 more years (2 more years of his rookie deal and then either a 4 or 5 year second contract (if an extension, it could be 5 years, if they are matching a FA offer sheet, then it would likely be 4 years).

Zion could try to get cute and sign a shorter term free agent deal, allowing NO to match and letting him become a free agent sooner, but very few players do something like that. It is also possible that Zion will agitate to get out of NO if he does not like the direction the franchise is headed. We have seen many NBA stars engineer a departure from a city by merely being upset (AD, Harden, Westbrook, PG) and some have also found creative ways to hold out (cough, Kawhi, cough) until they got moved to the team they wanted.

So, bottom line, if Zion really wants out of NO, he can probably make it happen... but I don't even begin to get the impression that he is at that level of frustration with the franchise. They are still a young team and would seem to have some nice upside on their roster. They face some significant decisions this offseason with Hart and Ball both RFAs.

Nope, they will likely control him for either 6 or 7 more years (2 more years of his rookie deal and then either a 4 or 5 year second contract (if an extension, it could be 5 years, if they are matching a FA offer sheet, then it would likely be 4 years).

Zion could try to get cute and sign a shorter term free agent deal, allowing NO to match and letting him become a free agent sooner, but very few players do something like that. It is also possible that Zion will agitate to get out of NO if he does not like the direction the franchise is headed. We have seen many NBA stars engineer a departure from a city by merely being upset (AD, Harden, Westbrook, PG) and some have also found creative ways to hold out (cough, Kawhi, cough) until they got moved to the team they wanted.

So, bottom line, if Zion really wants out of NO, he can probably make it happen... but I don't even begin to get the impression that he is at that level of frustration with the franchise. They are still a young team and would seem to have some nice upside on their roster. They face some significant decisions this offseason with Hart and Ball both RFAs.
    To be in the running for GOAT, you have to win championships; you have to be a leader of great teams. I expect that's what Zion wants.

Yes, unless Zion really makes waves and forces a trade, New Orleans has him for several more years. But if the Pelicans miss the playoffs again next year, and I was Zion, I’d start to wonder whether or not the franchise can get the job done. And championships are what great players are measured by. Not regular season stats. Ja is already in the playoffs and making a big splash. Trae Young is in the playoffs and making a big splash. RJ is in the playoffs. Zion needs to get to the playoffs next year.

Quote Originally Posted by Truth&Justise View Post
    Yes, but it was a gorgeous two points:

The Iceman Cometh - Again!

Yes, unless Zion really makes waves and forces a trade, New Orleans has him for several more years. But if the Pelicans miss the playoffs again next year, and I was Zion, I’d start to wonder whether or not the franchise can get the job done. And championships are what great players are measured by. Not regular season stats. Ja is already in the playoffs and making a big splash. Trae Young is in the playoffs and making a big splash. RJ is in the playoffs. Zion needs to get to the playoffs next year.
    Never too early to start planning for tomorrow. Whenever that may come.
    Carolina delenda est

The Bucks are really in a groove. The Nets are going to have their hands full in the next round. Personally, I give Milwaukee the advantage and think they will win that series, barring injury to either team.