Page 24 of 82 FirstFirst ... 1422232425263474 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by AGDukesky View Post
    That was my takeaway as well- extremely impressive performance by Simmons on defense.
    No doubt. The Sixers have quite a few defensive assets. They just need to keep their focus and intensity. Doc Rivers has done a fabulous job with team unity.

Quote Originally Posted by SouthernDukie View Post
    Super impressed with the Suns. Favorites in the West, even over the Jazz or Clippers? I wouldn’t bet against them at this point.

If only they had a Dukie playing for them...
    I think a lot of people overthought things, the top 2 seeds really are the best teams in the West (I give the Lakers a semi-pass because of health issues to the two superstars). Suns-Jazz should be fun.

Rivers

Austin has not been delivering as the starting shooting guard in Phoenix series. Sub par performance. Jokic is not getting any scoring from his teammates.

Kennard playing tonight, has hit a couple of big threes (not back to back, but as Utah works to get back in the game) after the Jazz cut the Clippers lead to single digits. Lead back to 14 with 8 minutes left, Kennard still in the game after the timeout.

5. Quote Originally Posted by Wander View Post
    I think a lot of people overthought things, the top 2 seeds really are the best teams in the West (I give the Lakers a semi-pass because of health issues to the two superstars). Suns-Jazz should be fun.
    And the Jazz are still missing Mike Conley, who is like a Jrue Holiday for them. Despite all the idiosyncrasy of this season, the playoffs will probably go chalk with the top two seeds from each side making it to the finals.

Quote Originally Posted by kshepinthehouse View Post
    Yea putting Simmons on Young has changed the series.
    Yes putting your best defensive player on the opponent’s by far best scorer. Who would’ve thought of such a brilliant move!

Quote Originally Posted by pamtar View Post
    Luke needs to follow JJ Redick around like Daniel-san until he agrees to train him. In spurts he’s as deadly an offensive weapon as there is in the league. His defense is basically non-existent, though. He’s going to have to transform his game like JJ did to stay in the league long term. There’s a lot more to his offensive abilities than JJ’s so he could have an even better career. Right now there’s not much room on the court for an undersized, ball-dominate 2 who takes 3-4 possessions to get going and can’t guard anyone.

I think LA knows this and loosens his leash when they need offense but not otherwise.
    Indeed. If you believe in 538's NBA advanced performance stats then Luke's regular season defense was unfortunately the worst on the team and it wasn't close.

HOWEVER, his defensive (and offensive) stats for the playoffs are great so far. I don't know how much this reflects improvements in play and how much reflects the imprecision of advanced stats for a tiny sample size issue, but it's definitely a step in the right direction. Not sure the Clipper tables below are readable, so in summary:

Kennard
    Entire Season: Off +0.9, Def -3.8, Total -2.9
    Playoffs: Off +7.2, Def +3.8, Total 11.0 (best on team!)

538 entire season advanced stats for Clippers:
    Clippers.jpg

538 playoff advanced stats:
    ClippersPlayoffs.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by tommy View Post
    Yes putting your best defensive player on the opponent’s by far best scorer. Who would’ve thought of such a brilliant move!
    They started out in Game 1 with 6'6" Danny Green on Trae Young. Although Simmons can guard 1 through 5, at 6'10" he is not as quick as the 6'1" Young. They are relying on double-teams and cutting off passing lanes so it is more positioning and team defense than pure 1-on-1. The Sixers have good length with the exception of Seth Curry, but his backup is Mattisse Thybulle who is an excellent defender with long arms.

Kyrie just rolled his foot over under the basket. Doesn't look good

Quote Originally Posted by Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15 View Post
    Kyrie just rolled his foot over under the basket. Doesn't look good
    Frankly it looked awful. I can't see him coming back quickly from that.
    "This is the best of all possible worlds."
    Dr. Pangloss - Candide

Quote Originally Posted by chrishoke View Post
    Frankly it looked awful. I can't see him coming back quickly from that.
    Agreed. He could easily be out for the entire playoffs if it’s a high ankle sprain. I assume everyone here now thinks the Bucks have an excellent chance of winning the series. Sad that an injury tips the scales yet again. Now we will really see what the Nets are made of. What’s really sad is how unnecessary that was. Giannis came right in with his foot under Kyrie and gave him no chance to land. Obviously not intentional, but it’s very unfortunate.

Agreed. He could easily be out for the entire playoffs if it’s a high ankle sprain. I assume everyone here now thinks the Bucks have an excellent chance of winning the series. Sad that an injury tips the scales yet again. Now we will really see what the Nets are made of. What’s really sad is how unnecessary that was. Giannis came right in with his foot under Kyrie and gave him no chance to land. Obviously not intentional, but it’s very unfortunate.
    Likely the series- injuries have defined Kyrie's basketball life.

Basketball is a sport where ankle injuries are simply part of the game. I had so many that I lost track. Giannis clearly had no intention of harming him, but this stuff happens.

That said, they have not come out and said the extent of the injury. So it is entirely possible he will be back.

Did ‘Kyrie miss time in Boston? And if so, what was the injury?

Guess depends what you mean by intentional. Did he think to himself that he was going to hurt Kyrie, unlikely. Did he run in and body him up while in the air, yes, that was intentional. Giannis wasn't gaurding Kyrie, he went several steps towards Kyrie and into his body while Kyrie was in the air. While his intention was to box out and not injury he intentionally put Kyrie in danger by his actions. Can't believe there wasn't a foul and review that would become a fragrant 1. Pretty much the definition of what they have been cracking down against. But later in the quarter an obvious charge was switched to a block so Giannis wouldn't get his third so guess it makes sense they ignored this foul too.

And there was absolutely no reason for him to body Kyrie up. If there was a rebound to be had, clearly Kyrie who hadn't landed yet wasn't going to pop up quicker and higher than the 7 foot leaper Giannis is. So unnecessary.

Quote Originally Posted by dukelifer View Post
    Likely the series- injuries have defined Kyrie's basketball life.
    Sadly true. He is far from the most durable of players.

Quote Originally Posted by Eternal Outlaw View Post
    Guess depends what you mean by intentional. Did he think to himself that he was going to hurt Kyrie, unlikely. Did he run in and body him up while in the air, yes, that was intentional. Giannis wasn't gaurding Kyrie, he went several steps towards Kyrie and into his body while Kyrie was in the air. While his intention was to box out and not injury he intentionally put Kyrie in danger by his actions. Can't believe there wasn't a foul and review that would become a fragrant 1. Pretty much the definition of what they have been cracking down against. But later in the quarter an obvious charge was switched to a block so Giannis wouldn't get his third so guess it makes sense they ignored this foul too.

And there was absolutely no reason for him to body Kyrie up. If there was a rebound to be had, clearly Kyrie who hadn't landed yet wasn't going to pop up quicker and higher than the 7 foot leaper Giannis is. So unnecessary.
    See, I agree with this analysis as well. A play like that does not have to be intentional or dirty, but it can still be reckless (in a basketball sense). I do think Giannis was reckless on the play. And it cost Kyrie. I played a lot of basketball in my life, and while I rolled my ankle on many occasions as well, I never put my feet under a guy who was in the air. You just don’t invade that space.

Quote Originally Posted by Eternal Outlaw View Post

To understand the extent to which Giannis undercut Kyrie, Kyrie went up and was in the air. Giannis came in from Kyries left and extends his right foot past Kyries left foot and underneath his right foot. Giannis wasn't running quickly, he was under control and he basically pivoted and planted his foot underneath Kyrie. Kyries left leg actually landed across Giannis's thigh (which likely made the injury worse because his left leg was caught on Giannis and all of his weight came down on his right ankle. At first I thought he was injured because his left leg came down between Giannis's legs, only after a few relays did I see his right foot turn sideways after landing on Giannis's right foot,. While I don't think his intent was to hurt Kyrie I believe he was so far into his space he did intend bump Kyrie in the air. It was a dangerous play with possibly serious consequences. It will really be unfortunate if it affects the outcome of this season.

Quote Originally Posted by Owen Meany View Post
    To understand the extent to which Giannis undercut Kyrie, Kyrie went up and was in the air. Giannis came in from Kyries left and extends his right foot past Kyries left foot and underneath his right foot. Giannis wasn't running quickly, he was under control and he basically pivoted and planted his foot underneath Kyrie. Kyries left leg actually landed across Giannis's thigh (which likely made the injury worse because his left leg was caught on Giannis and all of his weight came down on his right ankle. At first I thought he was injured because his left leg came down between Giannis's legs, only after a few relays did I see his right foot turn sideways after landing on Giannis's right foot,. While I don't think his intent was to hurt Kyrie I believe he was so far into his space he did intend bump Kyrie in the air. It was a dangerous play with possibly serious consequences. It will really be unfortunate if it affects the outcome of this season.
    Very unfortunate for Kyrie. Perhaps the league will review the incident for a possible flagrant foul. You see that called on perimiter jump shots... the shooter must have a place to land safely. Intended or not, the outcome can be a serious injury.

BTW, if I’m taking my medicine when I get a prediction wrong, I’m going to ask for a little bit of acknowledgment when I get one right. I said the Bucks would win game 4 by a more comfortable margin than the tight game 3 and even the series. And they did - even though I’m rooting for the Nets.

BTW, if I’m taking my medicine when I get a prediction wrong, I’m going to ask for a little bit of acknowledgment when I get one right. I said the Bucks would win game 4 by a more comfortable margin than the tight game 3 and even the series. And they did - even though I’m rooting for the Nets.

Well, the fat lady has not yet sung. I had the Nets in 4. So thumbs up to you - you deserve credit if they do in fact win.