Page 42 of 82 FirstFirst ... 32404142434452 ... LastLast
    I’m going to apologize for my last post. I know there are fans of the different teams that are still in the mix - especially Atlanta. I’ve just have one of the worst Father’s Days in my life. Mea culpa.

Quote Originally Posted by SouthernDukie View Post
    I’m going to apologize for my last post. I know there are fans of the different teams that are still in the mix - especially Atlanta. I’ve just have one of the worst Father’s Days in my life. Mea culpa.
    That sounds like it's way more important than basketball. You have my sympathies. I'm sure no one here faults you for feeling salty about the playoffs.

Quote Originally Posted by SouthernDukie View Post
    Certainly no offense is taken from this end, and please remember that a great many things are more important than this team vs. that team. Hope all is reasonably well in your orbit.

Quote Originally Posted by rsvman View Post
    Turns out that, in the NBA playoffs, whatever team I want to win loses.
    Hey rev, “Trust The Process!”

In a Philly Inquirer article I can't fully access, it looks like the Sixers recognize their $30 million (now) PG just ain't getting it done...they've got four more years of him at roughly $35M per year...ouch.

SVG out after one year....how about Doc Rivers?
    "One POSSIBLE future. From your point of view... I don't know tech stuff.".... Kyle Reese

https://www.theringer.com/2021/6/21/...adelphia-76ers

The Ringer on the woes of Philly...

Quote Originally Posted by moonpie23 View Post
    SVG out after one year...how about Doc Rivers?
    Wondering the same thing.

Quote Originally Posted by dukelifer View Post
    What era could Simmons play in? He is least confident shooter I have ever seen.
    I think the only way to save Simmons' career is for him to develop an outside shot during the off season. I thought he had done that last off season but obviously not. I think he needs a sports psychologist and possibly something stronger, like anxiety treatment. He passed away a wide-open layup in the 4th quarter that should have been a dunk. Its obviously in his head and if he doesn't get help or figure it out, he's sunk. Apparently, Simmons is naturally a right hander but he has not committed to switching back to the right and continues to shoot foul shots left handed and avoids any other shots beyond 10 feet.
    Last edited by DoubleBlue; 06-21-2021 at 08:35 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by DoubleBlue View Post
    I think the only way to save Simmons' career is for him to develop an outside shot during the off season. I thought he had done that last off season but obviously not. I think he needs a sports psychologist and possibly something stronger, like anxiety treatment. He passed away a wide-open layup in the 4th quarter that should have been a dunk. Its obviously in his head and if he doesn't get help or figure it out, he's sunk.
    He needs a skills transplant.

Quote Originally Posted by Indoor66 View Post
    He needs a skills transplant.
    Is that like an attitude adjustment? Asking for a friend.

Quote Originally Posted by budwom View Post
    https://www.theringer.com/2021/6/21/...adelphia-76ers

The Ringer on the woes of Philly...
    Good article. He's turning 25 in a month...I think this is who he is, i.e., a great defensive player who is an offensive liability. Jason Kidd really improved a a three-point shooter in his dotage, but he was starting from a much more competent base.

Quote Originally Posted by WillJ View Post
    Good article. He's turning 25 in a month...I think this is who he is, i.e., a great defensive player who is an offensive liability. Jason Kidd really improved a a three-point shooter in his dotage, but he was starting from a much more competent base.
    He is a really good distributor and excellent 2pt shooter within the box (layups, dunks, put backs, open floor execution, etc). His one major downside, which is a MAJOR downside, is jump shooting.

He is an NBA unicorn, and, when applied to Simmons, I don't mean that in a good way.

Poor dude. I assume he's worked on shooting during the last 2-3 offseasons. He's just horrible at jump shooting...
    Criticism may not be agreeable, but it is necessary. It fulfils the same function as pain in the human body. It calls attention to an unhealthy state of things. - Winston Churchill

President of the "Nolan Smith Should Have His Jersey in The Rafters" Club

Quote Originally Posted by Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15 View Post
    Is that like an attitude adjustment? Asking for a friend.
    Not at all. Attitude might be fine. It's just that the ball doesn't go through the hole. It happens in golf as well and then your off the tour. 🤣

Quote Originally Posted by Indoor66 View Post
    Not at all. Attitude might be fine. It's just that the ball doesn't go through the hole. It happens in golf as well and then your off the tour. 🤣
    Golfers don't get multi-year multi-million dollar contracts?

The NBA title is truly up for grabs, and it will go to either a team that has never won, or hasn't won in a long time. Despite the lack of star power, it is pretty cool.

The amazing thing about this Hawks squad is that I haven't heard a lot of talk about how they are at diminished strength. I know Trae is the big star, and the only star on the team, but Hunter was playing great for them before he went down and now Bogdanovich is sidelined. Those are two enormously important players, yet here they are in the ECF. They were very smart in hunting the mismatch with Huerter last night (sorry Seth, who also played great this series), and they are built with so many rangy wings that it is kind of a next-man-up philosophy. I LOVE Collins' toughness. I think they can definitely win it all.

I am with those who observe Doc's postseason coaching record getting worse and worse, but I think they still owe him $32MM or so. I doubt they'll swallow that and fire him. Who will take Simmons? What will the trade package be?

The Bucks were 2 inches (Durant's game 7 regulation 3 being on the line) from their coach probably being fired and are now a legit title contender. You have to love the way Giannis showed up in Game 7, Holiday and Middleton and Lopez are solid veteran talents, Tucker and Connaughton...they are a 6 man team! But, they are the only fully healthy team left. With Capella in the middle and all that length, I don't worry about the Hawks defending Giannis. Both Eastern Conference semis were wars and I expect this one to be no different.

Out West, which team's best player can get back first? Will CP3 have any lingering COVID effects? How effective will Kawhi be? I didn't see game 1 so I don't have a feel for the match-up, but Booker glowing up is extremely encouraging. The Suns are so young, but that's probably the only reason to doubt them.

From a Duke perspective, we've got Cam/Grant Hill with the Hawks, Luke and Dahntay with the Clips...is that it? Is the Duke fan vote, from a purely Duke perspective, Hawks vs Clips?

Quote Originally Posted by Billy Dat View Post

The Bucks were 2 inches (Durant's game 7 regulation 3 being on the line) from their coach probably being fired and are now a legit title contender. You have to love the way Giannis showed up in Game 7, Holiday and Middleton and Lopez are solid veteran talents, Tucker and Connaughton...they are a 6 man team! But, they are the only fully healthy team left. With Capella in the middle and all that length, I don't worry about the Hawks defending Giannis. Both Eastern Conference semis were wars and I expect this one to be no different.
    He's not exactly Kawhi Leonard, but the Bucks are without Donte DiVincenzo, who played 28 mpg during the season and would probably make them a 7 man team.

Sadly, despite having a number of Duke players over the last few years (including two Plumlees, Parker, and Redick), I can't think of any Duke connection on the current roster.

Quote Originally Posted by camion View Post
    Golfers don't get multi-year multi-million dollar contracts?
    Golfers don't get contracts unless they win and end up off tour if they don't perform.

Quote Originally Posted by phaedrus View Post
    He's not exactly Kawhi Leonard, but the Bucks are without Donte DiVincenzo, who played 28 mpg during the season and would probably make them a 7 man team.
    Good call, he was definitely playing and someone solidly important. They seem to have cut a few guys who were playing (Portis, Forbes) out of the rotation leaning heavy on their main dudes.

Quote Originally Posted by Steven43 View Post
    Hey rev, “Trust The Process!”
    Every time I heard someone proclaim how brilliant Philly was in their development strategy, I had to bang my head against the wall. All they did was tank for three or four years. And now Simmons has managed to do the impossible - make their fans wish they still had Markelle Fultz’s outside shooting.