Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Chattanooga?

Chattanooga?

Taking a few days to Chattanooga for the wife's birthday. Never been but excited to check it out. Any recommendations about trails, meals, drinks, views?

Quote Originally Posted by Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15 View Post
    Taking a few days to Chattanooga for the wife's birthday. Never been but excited to check it out. Any recommendations about trails, meals, drinks, views?
    YES!!!!!! Give me 5 minutes.

Quote Originally Posted by ClemmonsDevil View Post
    YES!!!!!! Give me 5 minutes.
    You have about two weeks, but I look forward to your recommendations...

Obviously food-centric because it's me. I don't care about fancy, I care about delicious.
    1. State of Confusion
    2. Parkway Pourhouse
    3. Urban Stacks
    4. Hennen's
    5. Flying Squirrel

I stay at the Springhill Suites on the river. It is inexpensive, in a fantastic location on the river and near the hospital I always visit and I have Marriott Points. There are 3 hopping ends of town, on the river which has the aquarium and skews touristy (Lookouts stadium is here too) plus the super cool North Shore area across the brides that has better shopping/restaurants and a cooler vibe. There is also the revitalized Main St area. The Main Street area has a better vibe (or more to my liking anyway), but I can drive over there. I like being on the river for my morning walks. The pedestrian bridge over the city has amazing views. Chickamauga battlefield is nearby (top tier Civil War site) and tons of hiking in and around Lookout Mountain. I figure you can look the restaurants up.

They have a river and a world-class aquarium, if that's your thing. And Civil War battlegrounds.

Quote Originally Posted by jimsumner View Post
    They have a river and a world-class aquarium, if that's your thing. And Civil War battlegrounds.
    I elfing love a good aquarium!

Quote Originally Posted by ClemmonsDevil View Post
    Obviously food-centric because it's me. I don't care about fancy, I care about delicious.
    1. State of Confusion
    2. Parkway Pourhouse
    3. Urban Stacks
    4. Hennen's
    5. Flying Squirrel

I stay at the Springhill Suites on the river. It is inexpensive, in a fantastic location on the river and near the hospital I always visit and I have Marriott Points. There are 3 hopping ends of town, on the river which has the aquarium and skews touristy (Lookouts stadium is here too) plus the super cool North Shore area across the brides that has better shopping/restaurants and a cooler vibe. There is also the revitalized Main St area. The Main Street area has a better vibe (or more to my liking anyway), but I can drive over there. I like being on the river for my morning walks. The pedestrian bridge over the city has amazing views. Chickamauga battlefield is nearby (top tier Civil War site) and tons of hiking in and around Lookout Mountain. I figure you can look the restaurants up.
    I was eyeballing Moxie for a place to stay. Pet friendly is a must, and it looks like a walkable distance to most things. Glad you mentioned the north shore - seems like something I could easily of missed!

As we get closer to travel time, I will do more research and have more questions.

I was eyeballing Moxie for a place to stay. Pet friendly is a must, and it looks like a walkable distance to most things. Glad you mentioned the north shore - seems like something I could easily of missed!

As we get closer to travel time, I will do more research and have more questions.
    The Moxy is in a great spot near the Main Street restaurants. There is also a fantastic dog park / bar really close by. I don't even own a dog and I like going over there.

Three thoughts based on a few past stays there:

St John's is a good place for a nice meal: https://www.stjohnsrestaurant.com/

As mentioned, the north bank is worth checking out.

This GA park with hiking trails and views is not that far away and relatively low key: https://gastateparks.org/CloudlandCanyon

Ha! We have planned a week long vacation this summer, going to Cherokee, Nashville, Chattanooga and then Asheville over a 9 day period. I've never been to Nashville and that was the motivation. I appreciate the Chattanooga recommendations above! Any recommendations for Nashville? We'll be there for 3 nights midweek.
    Ozzie, your paradigm of optimism!

Go To Hell carolina, Go To Hell!
    9F 9F 9F
    https://ecogreen.greentechaffiliate.com

Are you taking the Choo Choo?

Quote Originally Posted by OZZIE4DUKE View Post
    Ha! We have planned a week long vacation this summer, going to Cherokee, Nashville, Chattanooga and then Asheville over a 9 day period. I've never been to Nashville and that was the motivation. I appreciate the Chattanooga recommendations above! Any recommendations for Nashville? We'll be there for 3 nights midweek.
    I'll swap you some good Asheville advice when the time comes! In trade for an afternoon foamy beverage.

Wow, this blew up quickly ... and I live here.

I can help you with trails and (associated) views but not so much on bars and restaurants. I'm not young anymore, so referring to a "hip place" is more likely to make me think of an orthopedist surgeon's office.

I've been to #3 and #5 on ClemmonsDevil's list and didn't care for either one. Last time I was at #5 they allowed smoking outside, which due to the nature of the structure, wafts inside.
    I think #4 is well-regarded for steak, but I've not been.

Trails:
    Sunset Rock on Lookout Mountain. Couple ways to do it, one is more rigorous than the another.
    Snooper's Rock at Prentice Cooper State Forest. Great view, short hike from another stunner, Ransom Hollow Overlook.
    Ritchie Hollow Trail (not to be confused with the nearby Ritchie Hollow Nature Trail) brings you to a nice waterfall, if water is flowing
    Glen Falls on Lookout Mtn.
    Stringer's Ridge just off the North Shore. Note: dual use with bikes.
    White Oak Mtn in Collegedale for really nice trails, but few views. Some trails dual use.
    Last edited by cspan37421; 05-18-2021 at 06:38 PM.

Chatanooga? Go with the classics. Moon Pie and an RC cola.

You're welcome.
    "We are not provided with wisdom, we must discover it for ourselves, after a journey through the wilderness which no one else can take for us, an effort which no one can spare us, for our wisdom is the point of view from which we come at last to regard the world." --M. Proust

Quote Originally Posted by OZZIE4DUKE View Post
    The Pharmacy restaurant for Burgers, sausages and German beer, 12 South is a GREAT neighborhood with wonderful restaurants. I like Bar Taco for lettuce wrap tacos. East Nashville is growing, artsy and has a cool vibe.

Just Choo Choo on down. 🤣

If you are into golf *at all*, I understand that Sweetens Cove (a 9-holer partially owned by David Cutcliffe's most famous pupil) is the krzyt.
    "Amazing what a minute can do."

Quote Originally Posted by DukieInKansas View Post
    Are you taking the Choo Choo?
    You actually can do that, while you're there. It's a fun trip (but pretty much a whole days' worth).

Sounds like the aquarium and the bridge are can't miss. Excited for the various restaurants and breweries. We will be in walking distance of all the good downtown activities.

Is Ruby Falls a tourist trap or is it can't miss?