Page 52 of 53 FirstFirst ... 24250515253 LastLast
Results 1,021 to 1,040 of 1053
    Thrilled for the Boomers, in the words that K likes to use, “deserving” of a medal. Aside from Mills’ brilliance, big second halves from Jingles and Exum, and Thybulle played a very solid all around game. Now the US can collect their gold medals and I wonder how quickly that private plane with the players will leave Tokyo after that ceremony…within an hour? Always love FIBA.

Slovenia has nothing to be ashamed of. Clearly a new rising power in basketball.

Quote Originally Posted by Steven43 View Post
    Okay, which big man, who actually was willing to commit to Team USA, would you have taken?

As for Duncan Robinson, I don’t know if getting a guy who basically has only one skill — shooting three-pointers — would have been better overall for this team than the player(s) whose minutes he would be taking.

Maybe someone did ask Coach Popovich about these issues. I’ll see if I can find a post-game interview with him.
    When Love and someone else left the team, it was down to Keldon Johnson and Duncan Robinson for the last replacement spot. Johnson played two minutes against Australia and did not play against France, so I would have preferred to have Robinson to play in spots where can hit some threes quickly without taking many minutes away from anyone. He is one dimensional, but that dimension is worth $90 million over five years, which is amazing for an undrafted player.

I would have substituted Love with a quality role player (Dewayne Dedmon comes to mind) who could come in to put a rather large body on any opposing center. Again a few minutes here and there but that can make all the difference in the world.

I sat by the phone ready to help Pops and Kerr out, but strangely enough the call never came. I guess I should have figured out Coach Kara’s Duke email so that she could forward my ideas to Collangelo. After all, she sits right behind him.

Next Coach? With Pop talking about how exhausting this was and the fact that he'll be 75 for the next Olympics, I'm expecting that he's one and done as Olympics coach. Steve Kerr seems like the obvious next choice. History with USA basketball, investment in the program, continuity, multiple NBA championships, players' coach, etc. I think he'd be very good.

Quote Originally Posted by freshmanjs View Post
    Next Coach? With Pop talking about how exhausting this was and the fact that he'll be 75 for the next Olympics, I'm expecting that he's one and done as Olympics coach. Steve Kerr seems like the obvious next choice. History with USA basketball, investment in the program, continuity, multiple NBA championships, players' coach, etc. I think he'd be very good.
    Yeah I strongly suspect Kerr as well, for those reasons: well-respected, has international experience, etc. And young enough to do it for a few runs if he desires.

Quote Originally Posted by miramar View Post
    When Love and someone else left the team, it was down to Keldon Johnson and Duncan Robinson for the last replacement spot. Johnson played two minutes against Australia and did not play against France, so I would have preferred to have Robinson to play in spots where can hit some threes quickly without taking many minutes away from anyone. He is one dimensional, but that dimension is worth $90 million over five years, which is amazing for an undrafted player.

I would have substituted Love with a quality role player (Dewayne Dedmon comes to mind) who could come in to put a rather large body on any opposing center. Again a few minutes here and there but that can make all the difference in the world.

I sat by the phone ready to help Pops and Kerr out, but strangely enough the call never came. I guess I should have figured out Coach Kara’s Duke email so that she could forward my ideas to Collangelo. After all, she sits right behind him.
    Given the “switch everything” strategy and the shooting depth on the team, it made sense not to have a guy like Robinson. Team USA didn’t lack for shooters though. Durant, Middleton, and Lavine were all better shooters than Robinson this year, and Tatum and Lillard were comparable. They had a bunch of shooters, it is just that the shots weren’t falling for whatever reason. What they didn’t have was size, which is presumably why McGee was chosen to replace Love. Johnson was chosen because (a) he was already there and would help with continuity, (b) he was trusted by Pop, and (c) he was going to be willing to not play much - not always an easy sell.

Quote Originally Posted by CDu View Post
    Yeah I strongly suspect Kerr as well, for those reasons: well-respected, has international experience, etc. And young enough to do it for a few runs if he desires.
    Also will be best positioned to recruit the likes of Curry and Klay for a victory lap.

Quote Originally Posted by Native View Post
    Also will be best positioned to recruit the likes of Curry and Klay for a victory lap.
    Steph will be 36 in 3 years (not 4) while Klay will be 34. Shooting tends to age pretty well so they may still be quite valuable players for the National Team, but it ain't a sure thing.
    Why are you wasting time here when you could be wasting it by listening to the latest episode of the DBR Podcast?

Quote Originally Posted by JasonEvans View Post
    Steph will be 36 in 3 years (not 4) while Klay will be 34. Shooting tends to age pretty well so they may still be quite valuable players for the National Team, but it ain't a sure thing.
    There were so many 40+ y/o basketball players in the Olympics this year, it was practically the lunchtime run at the YMCA.

Smile Congrats Team USA!

Quote Originally Posted by dukelifer View Post
    France is really good- USA with some strange plays down the stretch - some guys got a bit tight but Durant led the way. Tatum looks like the heir apparent. Zion will be on the next team. Great win- Pop can now turn it over to Kerr.
    What a marvelous win against a really good, tough opponent! So many things to like: KD, KD, Holiday on both O & D, Tatum in key moments, Draymond being tough Draymond [including swiping the ball from the cylinder], Odabayo's toughness, Levine with some key plays, and I know I'm leaving out some deserving guys. As Vince said, the team was the "3rd guy," and we needed this to win.

My heart says that I must communicate this: My only complaint is, Guys, don't untie your shoelaces until the final buzzer sounds!! You have been through too many buzzer beater finishes to lose intense focus until the end. With the USA up by 7, in the final minutes, I saw KD grinning broadly, and thought, oh no, don't give France a chance. I don't know, of course, why Dame missed both free throws. It could be because of not enough concentration or too much -- the whole spectrum. But it was worrisome, and sure enough, France comes back, the USA appears tight and on the defensive, and anything can happen from here. I am so grateful that our players regrouped, stepped up, and did what they needed to do to close the deal.

I really like Kerr as a next potential USA coach. He seems to be a person of high character, respected around the league, a players' coach and, as another poster has said, perhaps an inside track on getting Steph and Kley to join. Will be fun to see how this plays out. Grant will make some good decisions.
    “I love it. Coach, when we came here, we had a three-hour meeting about the core values. If you really represent the core values, it means diving on the floor, sacrificing your body for your teammates, no matter how much you’re up by or how much you’re down by, always playing hard.” -- Zion

Quote Originally Posted by hustleplays View Post
    ...really like Kerr as a next potential USA coach. He seems to be a person of high character, respected around the league, a players' coach...
    Plus he's got a nice sense of humor and has been rumored to smile once in a while.

New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley
    Tonight's blowout by the women over Japan is the first that I've been able to watch. Cool seeing Coach Lawson on the mike for the game.
    Q "Why do you like Duke, you didn't even go there." A "Because my art school didn't have a basketball team."

While there was considerable, and justified, uncertainty about Team USA winning in Men's hoops... no such thing exists on the Women's side.

At least not yet.
    Why are you wasting time here when you could be wasting it by listening to the latest episode of the DBR Podcast?

The Japanese did put up a valiant right, though. I never would have guessed they could be so good. The world has come a long way since the 1960s and the days of mechanical (I can't think of a better word) international basketball.

Quote Originally Posted by budwom View Post
    The Japanese did put up a valiant right, though. I never would have guessed they could be so good. The world has come a long way since the 1960s and the days of mechanical (I can't think of a better word) international basketball.
    I think that Japanese coach may be getting an offer to coach a major US women’s college program. I’m sure the pay will be far more than Japan will offer. That was a well coached team. For that matter, he can probably do both as Dawn Staley is doing.
    Last edited by hallcity; 08-08-2021 at 12:53 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Billy Dat View Post
    Thrilled for the Boomers, in the words that K likes to use, “deserving” of a medal.
    Hey Billy, if you were born during the years 1946-1964 then you’re a Boomer, too!

Hey Billy, if you were born during the years 1946-1964 then you’re a Boomer, too!
    While I tend to think DBR skews boomer, maybe even Greatest Generation (he he) I am firmly X. But, since the Zs see everyone older as Boomer, I get called that plenty by my beloved progeny.

Quote Originally Posted by Billy Dat View Post
    While I tend to think DBR skews boomer, maybe even Greatest Generation (he he) I am firmly X. But, since the Zs see everyone older as Boomer, I get called that plenty by my beloved progeny.
    I’m Gen X, also. Yet I’ve been called Boomer, too, even by an apparently not-so-bright long-time friend whose birthday is, get this, a whole six months after mine.

Can you imagine someone who is only half a year younger thinking they are not in the same generation as you?? 🙄

Drives me absolutely nuts. But I digress…..

I’m Gen X, also. Yet I’ve been called Boomer, too, even by an apparently not-so-bright long-time friend whose birthday is, get this, a whole six months after mine.

Can you imagine someone who is only half a year younger thinking they are not in the same generation as you?? 🙄

Drives me absolutely nuts. But I digress…..
    Just barely a Gen X’er myself. Missed being a Boomer by only a few months. But I’m not complaining.

Quote Originally Posted by SouthernDukie View Post
    Just barely a Gen X’er myself. Missed being a Boomer by only a few months. But I’m not complaining.
    Greetings my fellow Gen X friend! 😎

Weren’t we supposed to be running the world by now?