Page 13 of 53 FirstFirst ... 3111213141523 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Indoor66 View Post
    Wow, that sounds like a lot of NBA games.
    Have you actually been watching NBA games? There has been awesome team basketball in the playoffs, not too much iso with the Nets gone.

Quote Originally Posted by moonpie23 View Post
    sadly, i don't think it's just talent...K built something of a "cult" in mind and body...i love pops, but i don't think he builds team attitude the way K did...

I'll be surprised if we get on the stand...
    I agree that K had some mystical power over his players- but guys like Lebron also have an ability to will a team to victory. Pop is a great coach but he does not have enough time to instill his system. A little humbling will not hurt the USA. I still expect these guys will play better and harder when the lights are on.

Quote Originally Posted by moonpie23 View Post
    sadly, i don't think it's just talent...K built something of a "cult" in mind and body...i love pops, but i don't think he builds team attitude the way K did...

I'll be surprised if we get on the stand...

It will take a massive shift to place in the Olympics next month.

Edit: article by Brian Windhorst on ESPN says Team USA will have to "overcome adversity" to place. I think he and I have different understandings of that term.

K

Quote Originally Posted by dukelifer View Post
    I agree that K had some mystical power over his players- but guys like Lebron also have an ability to will a team to victory. Pop is a great coach but he does not have enough time to instill his system. A little humbling will not hurt the USA. I still expect these guys will play better and harder when the lights are on.
    Coach K also seems to have a great ability to pull together a team very quickly (the 2020-21 team being an exception) and most Duke teams come out of the gates very quickly, as have his national teams. I don't know how he does it, but it's undeniable. Ask Kentucky fans about that season opener in 2018.

Quote Originally Posted by ice-9 View Post
    I strongly disagree with the take that this USA team doesn't have enough talent. You got to be kidding me. Who are they losing to?? "Better" talent in Nigeria and Australia? Hell no. There is enough talent, they just need to put it together to produce winning basketball and be a better team.
    Agreed.

Imagine you are in a playground and all the Team USA players and all the Team Australia players are standing there waiting to be picked. How many guys would be picked before the first Australian player was picked?
    "We are not provided with wisdom, we must discover it for ourselves, after a journey through the wilderness which no one else can take for us, an effort which no one can spare us, for our wisdom is the point of view from which we come at last to regard the world." --M. Proust

The Colangelo/K rebuild which culminated in the 2008 Olympic Gold medal had a lot of unique aspects that this year lacks. The core of the 2008 team featured 3 young guys (Lebron, Wade, Melo) who were coming off 3 FIBA experiences...the 2004 Olympic Bronze, the 2006 World Cup Bronze and the 2007 FIBA Tournament of the Americas gold medal. So, 2008 was their third consecutive year devoting a summer to FIBA ball and their 4th in 5 years. After the 2006 Bronze, there were calls for K to step down or be replaced, and K had to work really hard on his relationship with Lebron to get on the same page, and they also wanted some more "mature" voices so they brought in J.Kidd and Chauncey Billups. And, it didn't hurt to add Kobe in 2007. Plus, we'd failed to win gold for 3 consecutive world tournaments - and the core of the squad was involved in 2 of those 3 losses. They were hungry.

This year's squad is not FIBA-tested. Forget Kevin Love. Of this year's team, only KD, Tatum and Middleton have real FIBA bona fides, and KD is the only one that has won - I am not counting the FIBA U19 and U17 levels. Everyone else is brand new to the process...the play-through-contact, moving screens, short game, short 3 point line, etc. These games are over so quickly, and you have to use the brutal physical nature of the game to your advantage. Our guys, who are used to rules that favor offense, are not used to what they can get away with, or what others can get away with, on either end. It's not a simple learning curve.

KD is the big kahuna on this squad. He led the US to the World Cup in 2010 when he was only 22. He's got to emerge as a leader on and off the court.

Pop is already fighting with reporters. One hopes these guys can find some cohesion and, literally, us-against-the-world mentality. As K told these guys many times, no one will really pay attention if you win, and the whole world will instantly know if you lose. That's the mission and reality when you put on the Team USA uniform. It's already getting ugly, let's see if these guys can cohere or if they'll splinter. While I don't like the team to lose, this scenario is a heck of a lot more interesting than winning every game by 30 points.

Quote Originally Posted by rsvman View Post
    Agreed.

Imagine you are in a playground and all the Team USA players and all the Team Australia players are standing there waiting to be picked. How many guys would be picked before the first Australian player was picked?
    Yep, and I’d still take Barkley.

Quote Originally Posted by Billy Dat View Post
    The Colangelo/K rebuild which culminated in the 2008 Olympic Gold medal had a lot of unique aspects that this year lacks. The core of the 2008 team featured 3 young guys (Lebron, Wade, Melo) who were coming off 3 FIBA experiences...the 2004 Olympic Bronze, the 2006 World Cup Bronze and the 2007 FIBA Tournament of the Americas gold medal. So, 2008 was their third consecutive year devoting a summer to FIBA ball and their 4th in 5 years. After the 2006 Bronze, there were calls for K to step down or be replaced, and K had to work really hard on his relationship with Lebron to get on the same page, and they also wanted some more "mature" voices so they brought in J.Kidd and Chauncey Billups. And, it didn't hurt to add Kobe in 2007. Plus, we'd failed to win gold for 3 consecutive world tournaments - and the core of the squad was involved in 2 of those 3 losses. They were hungry.

This year's squad is not FIBA-tested. Forget Kevin Love. Of this year's team, only KD, Tatum and Middleton have real FIBA bona fides, and KD is the only one that has won - I am not counting the FIBA U19 and U17 levels. Everyone else is brand new to the process...the play-through-contact, moving screens, short game, short 3 point line, etc. These games are over so quickly, and you have to use the brutal physical nature of the game to your advantage. Our guys, who are used to rules that favor offense, are not used to what they can get away with, or what others can get away with, on either end. It's not a simple learning curve.

KD is the big kahuna on this squad. He led the US to the World Cup in 2010 when he was only 22. He's got to emerge as a leader on and off the court.

Pop is already fighting with reporters. One hopes these guys can find some cohesion and, literally, us-against-the-world mentality. As K told these guys many times, no one will really pay attention if you win, and the whole world will instantly know if you lose. That's the mission and reality when you put on the Team USA uniform. It's already getting ugly, let's see if these guys can cohere or if they'll splinter. While I don't like the team to lose, this scenario is a heck of a lot more interesting than winning every game by 30 points.
    It never ceases to amaze me how ordinary the FIBA game can make NBA players seem. The defenses are able to contain the hero ball under many situations. Durant has been a great player in the past- almost unstoppable but he was never the emotional leader of those teams. That was Lebron. This team would be much better with a Chris Paul on it- heck even a Trae Young. You need someone to run the show- that is not evident on this team.

It never ceases to amaze me how ordinary the FIBA game can make NBA players seem. The defenses are able to contain the hero ball under many situations. Durant has been a great player in the past- almost unstoppable but he was never the emotional leader of those teams. That was Lebron. This team would be much better with a Chris Paul on it- heck even a Trae Young. You need someone to run the show- that is not evident on this team.
    Wow. You mean that the team needs point guard skills and leadership? Who'd a thunk it.

Uh, 2016 Olympics? I guess you argue it was Melo. Durant was the unquestionable dominant player, playing the most time, scoring the most points, etc. LeBron was not on the 2016 roster though.

What would it be like if the NBA switched to FIBA rules?

Quote Originally Posted by Acymetric View Post
    i might consider it worth my time to watch, for one.
    April 1

Quote Originally Posted by Acymetric View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by uh_no View Post
    i might consider it worth my time to watch, for one.
    I thought FIBA several years back actually changed some of their rules to more align with the NBA...

No more trapezoidal lane, 3-point line distance, etc.

I personally love the no goaltending rule if the ball bounces off the rim. It incentivizes the SWISH and makes for some fun blocks.

Quote Originally Posted by Bluedog View Post
    I thought FIBA several years back actually changed some of their rules to more align with the NBA...

I personally love the no goaltending rule if the ball bounces off the rim. It incentivizes the SWISH and makes for some fun blocks.
    i think the lack of defensive 3 seconds is a huge one.
    April 1

Coach K has been arguing for one set of basketball rules to apply to college, FIBA and NBA. There have been some adjustments, I believe, such as narrowing the differences in the shot clock.
    Sage Grouse

---------------------------------------
    'When I got on the bus for my first road game at Duke, I saw that every player was carrying textbooks or laptops. I coached in the SEC for 25 years, and I had never seen that before, not even once.' - David Cutcliffe to Duke alumni in Washington, DC, June 2013

Uh, 2016 Olympics? I guess you argue it was Melo. Durant was the unquestionable dominant player, playing the most time, scoring the most points, etc. LeBron was not on the 2016 roster though.
    I forgot that. Maybe Durant was the alpha-dog or maybe Melo. Good point.

Quote Originally Posted by MChambers View Post
    Coach K also seems to have a great ability to pull together a team very quickly (the 2020-21 team being an exception) and most Duke teams come out of the gates very quickly, as have his national teams. I don't know how he does it, but it's undeniable. Ask Kentucky fans about that season opener in 2018.
    You are 100% correct about Coach K, and it’s all about preparation, discipline, focus, consistency, and dedication. He is nearly unrivaled in these traits. He’s right there with Bill Belichick among the best ever.

This team would be much better with a Chris Paul on it- heck even a Trae Young. You need someone to run the show- that is not evident on this team.
    Chris Paul, yes. Trae Young, no. The last thing this team needs is an inexperienced, hero-ball PG whose usage rate is off the charts and who plays much more like a shooting guard.

On the other hand, Chris Paul with his experience, savvy, and old-school PG traits — such as getting everybody involved and almost always searching for the teammate who has the highest percentage shot — would be perfect.

Quote Originally Posted by Steven43 View Post
    Chris Paul, yes. Trae Young, no. The last thing this team needs is an inexperienced, hero-ball PG whose usage rate is off the charts and who plays much more like a shooting guard.

On the other hand, Chris Paul with his experience, savvy, and old-school PG traits — such as getting everybody involved and almost always searching for the teammate who has the highest percentage shot — would be perfect.
    I disagree re your assessment of Young. I can't stand him, but the playoffs this year sold me on his talent as a PG. He can be a very creative passer/creator.

Quote Originally Posted by brlftz View Post
    I disagree re your assessment of Young. I can't stand him, but the playoffs this year sold me on his talent as a PG. He can be a very creative passer/creator.
    Disagreement can be fun! And yes, he CAN BE a creative passer at times, but he’s a total hero-ball guy, tossing up wild shot after wild shot from all over the court. Sure, he makes a fair amount of them, but he’s obviously a vastly different type of PG than Chris Paul.