Page 37 of 53 FirstFirst ... 27353637383947 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Wander View Post
    Nah. I am in the camp that thinks Jordan is the best ever, but the gap between him and Lebron is far smaller than the gap between Lebron and Hakeem Olajuwon or whoever.
    I would argue that Lebron is the better all-round player. This all came about from discussing whether Durant is the best pure scorer, which I think is true too.

Jordan was amazing. Absolutely brutal opponent. Probably the guy you want if your life is on the line in a game. Durant is a better scorer. Lebron is a much better all round player.

All opinions are mine, feel free to flame away.

You know there’s not much going on in the world of sports when people on DBR start debating who they think is the best basketball player of all time.

I really don’t want to say this……but I’m going to say it anyway. I don’t think it makes much sense to compare players from different eras. I also don’t think you can have a strong opinion on a guy you didn’t watch play many many times.

So based on that criteria I think Kareem Abdul-Jabbar was the best player of his era, Larry Bird was the best player of his era, Michael Jordan was the best player of his era, and LeBron James was the best player of his era.

Quote Originally Posted by dudog84 View Post
    Oh my! Who let the tarheel on the board?
    Did you already know I was a UNC grad or was this a joke? If this was a joke it was pretty genius because that history degree is from UNC oddly enough. There is a spork riding on your answer.

Quote Originally Posted by Steven43 View Post
    You know there’s not much going on in the world of sports when people on DBR start debating who they think is the best basketball player of all time.

I really don’t want to say this but I’m going to say it anyway. I don’t think it makes much sense to compare players from different eras. I also don’t think you can have a strong opinion on a guy you didn’t watch play many many times.

So based on that criteria I think Kareem Abdul-Jabbar was the best player of his era, Larry Bird was the best player of his era, Michael Jordan was the best player of his era, and LeBron James was the best player of his era.
    It makes perfectly good sense, actually. People are bound and determined to decide whether Oscar Robertson was "better" than, say, Steph Curry. Or Hakeem was better than Giannis.

It's absurd to try.

And to your bigger point, yes, us Duke fans are deep in the summer sports doldrums.

Quote Originally Posted by ClemmonsDevil View Post
    Did you already know I was a UNC grad or was this a joke? If this was a joke it was pretty genius because that history degree is from UNC oddly enough. There is a spork riding on your answer.
    I did not know. You have Devil in your name!

Ah, what kind of devil???

Nah. I am in the camp that thinks Jordan is the best ever, but the gap between him and Lebron is far smaller than the gap between Lebron and Hakeem Olajuwon or whoever.
    I do think it's fair to say that my hypothesis went too far. As for your assertion that the gulf between LeBron and MJ is much smaller than I think it is, my answer to that would be maybe. LeBron is the best player of a very talented generation. And he did drag some subpar teams to great heights. That first version of Cleveland would have been the worst team in the league without him and he was able to drag that rotten carcass to the finals. Ironically I suffer from negative recency bias. For some reason I become a crotchety old man when people assert that LeBron is approaching MJ. LeBron is obviously amazing and I very well may be unable to properly assess him in real time. As an aside I saw both MJ and LeBron play live high school basketball games.

Quote Originally Posted by dudog84 View Post
    I did not know. You have Devil in your name!

Ah, what kind of devil???
    So my dad coached a player who played at Duke in the mid-to-late 80s. I got to come 2 summer camp at Duke for free and Dad worked the camp. I got to go to Duke games for free (still do) and we got to go to two final fours for free. I was a very good high school student and I went to UNC. My best friend from high school was a superlative high school student and she went to Duke. We are still very close and she is a legendary figure from her days at the state department and now in human rights. But I was at UNC and I went to UNC games wearing an "I want to be like Mike" t-shirt under my button down every single time. And when I would go play pickup Hoops in Woolen gym I wore a Duke shirt. All of my friends new and thought it strange but liked me anyway.

I know we’ve done this many times before, but if I could take one player at their peak it would still be Larry Joe Bird. Guy was a mental step ahead of everyone, made his teammates better, was clutch at the end of games, and was the greatest trash-talker of all time. I still consider watching him play basketball in the 80’s the most enjoyable time of my NBA viewing life.

I really don’t want to say this……but I’m going to say it anyway. I don’t think it makes much sense to compare players from different eras. I also don’t think you can have a strong opinion on a guy you didn’t watch play many many times.

This is a very good take. I think I agree. And if you wonder why I don't one hundred percent agree, I'm in science and medicine. We don't 100% believe anything.

Quote Originally Posted by SouthernDukie View Post
    I know we’ve done this many times before, but if I could take one player at their peak it would still be Larry Joe Bird. Guy was a mental step ahead of everyone, made his teammates better, was clutch at the end of games, and was the greatest trash-talker of all time. I still consider watching him play basketball in the 80’s the most enjoyable time of my NBA viewing life.
    https://youtu.be/HbNO-2Uq5x8

This is how we should teach the younger generation.

New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley
    So my dad coached a player who played at Duke in the mid-to-late 80s. I got to come 2 summer camp at Duke for free and Dad worked the camp. I got to go to Duke games for free (still do) and we got to go to two final fours for free. I was a very good high school student and I went to UNC. My best friend from high school was a superlative high school student and she went to Duke. We are still very close and she is a legendary figure from her days at the state department and now in human rights. But I was at UNC and I went to UNC games wearing an "I want to be like Mike" t-shirt under my button down every single time. And when I would go play pickup Hoops in Woolen gym I wore a Duke shirt. All of my friends new and thought it strange but liked me anyway.
    Cool story! Couldn't spork you, but if you've told that one before I missed it. Thanks for sharing.
    Q "Why do you like Duke, you didn't even go there." A "Because my art school didn't have a basketball team."

Quote Originally Posted by CameronBornAndBred View Post
    Cool story! Couldn't spork you, but if you've told that one before I missed it. Thanks for sharing.
    Dante Calabria's roommate was one of my best friends at Chapel Hill. The three of us played a lot of golf together and Dante wanted to come to Duke but K didn't want him. I got to hang out a few times with the players in their room and Rasheed absolutely loved K.

SD, I’m not going to say anything because I just got through pointing out that it doesn’t really make sense to compare players from different eras. But……. 🍀

Dante Calabria's roommate was one of my best friends at Chapel Hill. The three of us played a lot of golf together and Dante wanted to come to Duke but K didn't want him. I got to hang out a few times with the players in their room and Rasheed absolutely loved K.

I met Dante one night in Chapel Hill when I was visiting a good friend of mine... he was flirting with her a bit but then we got to talking and chatted for at least 30 minutes.

Really nice guy, enjoyed talking to him.

https://youtu.be/HbNO-2Uq5x8

This is how we should teach the younger generation.
    I’ve watched that Larry Bird video, as well as many other Bird videos, 20-plus times, and I’ve also shared it with a whole bunch of others, and everybody responds back basically saying their jaw was on the floor while watching it. It honestly still gives me goosebumps.

How good was this kid from French Lick??!! I mean, my goodness, his basketball IQ was completely off the charts and in another solar system.

Larry freaking Legend, indeed! 🍀

Anyone who would ever argue that they wouldn’t have peak Larry Bird in their All-Time Starting Five doesn’t know basketball. Nuff said.

Anyone who would ever argue that they wouldn’t have peak Larry Bird in their All-Time Starting Five doesn’t know basketball. Nuff said.
    One of the few I have ever seen who could drop 40 and simultaneously up the games of other players. Preternatural court vision.

Bird is definitely top 10 all time but I don't know that he's unambiguously top 5. Like, do you really think an all-time starting five of Magic, Jordan, Lebron, Duncan, and Kareem is indefensible?

Bird is definitely top 10 all time but I don't know that he's unambiguously top 5. Like, do you really think an all-time starting five of Magic, Jordan, Lebron, Duncan, and Kareem is indefensible?
    Or Wilt in place of either Duncan or Kareem. Bird on the outside IMHO.

Both of those are easily defensible.