Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What a week!

What a week!

Duke wins ACC softball title.

Duke women get share of ACC T&F title

Duke women's golf advances.

Duke men's lacrosse, women's lacrosse and women's tennis win their NCAAT matches.

Duke baseball gets badly needed series sweep over Virginia Tech to clinch spot in ACC Tournament.

Lots of work to be done. But a pretty darn good week for Blue Devil fans.

And it has been fun watching it all!

Congratulations to all the teams!

Quote Originally Posted by jimsumner View Post

Duke men's lacrosse, women's lacrosse and women's tennis win their NCAAT matches.

Duke baseball gets badly needed series sweep over Virginia Tech to clinch spot in ACC Tournament.

Most successful week I can remember as a lifelong Duke Athletics supporter. Marissa Young and Women's Softball made ESPN today. Their game against UNC-G they host on beautiful East Campus next Friday.
    Last edited by heyman25; 05-17-2021 at 02:59 AM. Reason: addition about softball

Quote Originally Posted by heyman25 View Post
    Most successful week I can remember as a lifelong Duke Athletics supporter. Marissa Young and Women's Softball made ESPN today. Their game against UNC-G they host on beautiful East Campus next Friday.
    No, they play in Athens Georgia

Yes I was not informed at the time I posted this earlier today. Maybe next season since Duke Softball has arrived.

I wonder how Duke would rank if they were still awarding points in the Director's Cup. (was it called the Learfield Director's Cup?)
    We were a frequent top ten athletic program per their rankings. I guess that award was a casualty of the pandemic.

The Women's Track and Field team capitalized on Covid-related eligibility rules.

For example, the key 4 X 400 Relay team, which won the final event in school record time was comprised of:

Iman Soule -- grad transfer from Columbia
    Elena Brown-Solder -- grad transfer from Penn
    Jenna Crean -- Duke sophomore
    Brittany Aveni -- Duke Grad Student in her 5th year

Quote Originally Posted by heyman25 View Post
    You will be forever known by your French name, Jacques Strappe...

Quote Originally Posted by Atldukie79 View Post
    I wonder how Duke would rank if they were still awarding points in the Director's Cup. (was it called the Learfield Director's Cup?)
    We were a frequent top ten athletic program per their rankings. I guess that award was a casualty of the pandemic.
    Good question--although Duke spring successes this year are impressive so far, those would likely be offset by zero points in football (a source of at least a few points in some recent years) and zero points in either men's or women's basketball (a source of points for the men virtually every year and for the women most years, if not the last couple).

Actually was able to watch some of that softball championship win. Masterful pitching performance. It helped that the Tigers were swinging at literally everything in the late innings; they must have felt the pressure.

Duke's only run came on a few fluke dribblers and some opportunistic baserunning. It was enough though!

Don't forget about Women's Soccer, normally a Fall sport, but carried over into the Spring due to the pandemic. Our women made it to the Elite 8, losing to #1 and undefeated FSU, who is in the NCAA Championship game later today.
    Last edited by DoubleBlue; 05-17-2021 at 11:30 AM. Reason: spelling

Duke now has more ACC Titles this year than any other conference member,

https://goduke.com/news/2021/5/17/at...pionships.aspx
    "This is the best of all possible worlds."
    Dr. Pangloss - Candide

Quote Originally Posted by chrishoke View Post
    Duke now has more ACC Titles this year than any other conference member,

https://goduke.com/news/2021/5/17/at...pionships.aspx
    Those two fencing titles loom large.

As an aside, how many here know that the Duke women finished THIRD in the NCAA championships back in March?

Quote Originally Posted by DoubleBlue View Post
    Don't forget about Women's Soccer, normally a Fall sport, but carried over into the Spring due to the pandemic. Our women made it to the Elite 8, losing to #1 and undefeated FSU, who is in the NCAA Championship game later today.
    And the loss was in a PK shootout, so it kinda doesn't count. I understand why soccer needs them, but there's no denying that shootouts are just kinda stupid. They tell you nothing about who was a better team.

Quote Originally Posted by Phredd3 View Post
    And the loss was in a PK shootout, so it kinda doesn't count. I understand why soccer needs them, but there's no denying that shootouts are just kinda stupid. They tell you nothing about who was a better team.
    They should do like the NHL where overtime is 3-on-3 (rather than the normal 5-on-5) and then if still no score, shootouts. That 3-on-3 is exciting hockey!

Quote Originally Posted by DoubleBlue View Post
    They should do like the NHL where overtime is 3-on-3 (rather than the normal 5-on-5) and then if still no score, shootouts. That 3-on-3 is exciting hockey!
    Now, 3 on 3 soccer, that would be exciting!!

I know what you're saying. But the difference is hockey teams can and do funnel in fresh bodies every 30-45 seconds or so and soccer teams can't do that, short of a big change in overtime rules.

And in regular season, hockey OT is limited to five minutes before going to shootouts.

Some of us remember that Duke-Indiana men's title game back in 1982 that went eight overtimes. Obviously, that was a once-in-a-lifetime event but you just can't run the risk. And in anything short of a title game you run the risk of having a totally frazzled team winning in the third or fourth overtime or whatever and then squaring off against a much fresher team as a reward.

So, as unsatisfying as PK's are, I'm just not sure I see a viable alternative.

They already play two 10 minute overtime periods before penalty kicks. You could eliminate the offsides rule for the overtimes to increase scoring chances but that would completely change the game and would be vehemently opposed.
    "This is the best of all possible worlds."
    Dr. Pangloss - Candide

So I have a solution which is a youth soccer drill. For the “Shoot out” there are 3 offensive players in the goalie box and 2 defenders and a goalie. You play the possession until the ball is out of the box, there is a save or a goal. The offense starts at the top of the box. If the ball goes out of bounds as if it were a corner or goal kick the possession also ends. Each team gets 3 possessions

Duke rowing picked up an at-large bid to the NCAA championship.

Quote Originally Posted by Indoor66 View Post
    You will be forever known by your French name, Jacques Strappe...
    This punch has a little wang in it...