Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Quote Originally Posted by CrazyNotCrazie View Post
    By leading with "no offense to Kevin White" you seemed to be saying that you were not happy with what he has done. I am not too close to the situation (though closer than most) and based on my explanation below, I think that he has done a very good job of balancing spending on non-rev and rev sports, particularly given how big ticket donations tend to be targeted. So would I be happy if the next AD did exactly what White has done - yes. Would I be OK if they allocated a little more towards non-rev? Sure. There are limited funds, which are further limited by how donors want their funds targeted, and I think that White has done an good job of allocating these funds. As I described in my examples, non-rev sports have gotten a lot of resources, as have revenue sports - neither has been ignored.

And if someone wants to go to UNC to play field hockey because they have a slightly nicer locker room, then good luck to them - I don't think they are smart enough to make it across Guttentag's desk anyway.
    Or maybe "no offense" means "no offense." Sometimes a cigar is just a cigar. I think Kevin has done a very good job and have consistently praised his efforts. But a new AD, any new AD, is going to look at things differently.

And I'm sure almost anything s/he does will seem minor compared to replacing Mike Krzyzewski and to a lesser extent, David Cutcliffe. That responsibility will be immense.

Quote Originally Posted by jimsumner View Post
    Or maybe "no offense" means "no offense." Sometimes a cigar is just a cigar. I think Kevin has done a very good job and have consistently praised his efforts. But a new AD, any new AD, is going to look at things differently.

And I'm sure almost anything s/he does will seem minor compared to replacing Mike Krzyzewski and to a lesser extent, David Cutcliffe. That responsibility will be immense.
    Good point. Wonder how much that might have influenced White's decision to leave now.

Quote Originally Posted by MCFinARL View Post
    Good point. Wonder how much that might have influenced White's decision to leave now.
    It's a good time to leave, and he is turning 71 this year.
    Sage Grouse

---------------------------------------
    'When I got on the bus for my first road game at Duke, I saw that every player was carrying textbooks or laptops. I coached in the SEC for 25 years, and I had never seen that before, not even once.' - David Cutcliffe to Duke alumni in Washington, DC, June 2013

Quote Originally Posted by sagegrouse View Post
    It's a good time to leave, and he is turning 71 this year.
    I just turned 71. Are you suggesting something?

...But a new AD, any new AD, is going to look at things differently.

One option would be to follow Stanford’s 2020 model, which featured a look at its 27 Olympians, 20 national championships, annual ownership of the old Sears trophy, immense wealth, and a decision to cut men’s and women’s fencing, field hockey, lightweight rowing, men’s rowing, co-ed and women’s sailing, squash, synchronized swimming, men’s volleyball and wrestling.

Whoops, as of 4 hours ago, Stanford changed its mind and is keeping all of these non-revenue sports:

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.mercurynews.com/2021/05/18/stanford-will-keep-11-sports-it-planned-to-cut-reversing-course-amid-pressure/amp/
    Last edited by johnb; 05-18-2021 at 08:14 PM. Reason: Added detail

Tonight vs Heels

Looks like UCLA - Pepperdine is going long - and judging from the scores deep into the 2nd set of some singles and the third set in one already and another looking like it is about to go there, don't think Duke will start till prolly close to 9:00pm. Will be a late night.

ACC will finish 2 - 2 on the day. FSU got blanked, and #6 NC State upset #3 Georgia.

Quote Originally Posted by Green Wave Dukie View Post
    Looks like UCLA - Pepperdine is going long - and judging from the scores deep into the 2nd set of some singles and the third set in one already and another looking like it is about to go there, don't think Duke will start till prolly close to 9:00pm. Will be a late night.

ACC will finish 2 - 2 on the day. FSU got blanked, and #6 NC State upset #3 Georgia.
    Guess I get flamed for responding to my post, but wow. Perpperdine - UCLA is 3 all, last match is 5-2 Pepperdine in the 3rd. Finally looks to be done. Match point for the Wave (not to be confused with the Green Wave). Gonna be a late one for the devils.

Guess I get flamed for responding to my post, but wow. Perpperdine - UCLA is 3 all, last match is 5-2 Pepperdine in the 3rd. Finally looks to be done. Match point for the Wave (not to be confused with the Green Wave). Gonna be a late one for the devils.

Dubs underway.

4-2
    4-4
    4-3 up on serve.

We could steal the doubles point. That would be huge. Then maybe Heels get tight? Next 15 minutes will be critical.

Follow scoring here.

http://scores.tennisticker.de/usa/us...ci2=581&lid=83

Carolina barely got the doubles point, meaning Duke needs to win four of six singles matches. But guess what? Duke captured the first set in three and is serving for the set in a fourth.

Could be a long night.

Duke wins first set in four matches.

Duke wins first set in four matches.
    A valiant effort, but not to be.

Carolina came back strong and got the win 4-1.

Quote Originally Posted by roywhite View Post
    A valiant effort, but not to be.

Carolina came back strong and got the win 4-1.

Post-script:

The Devils did indeed put up a great fight. Now, as Paul Harvey used to say, for the rest of the story.

Last night the Waves, no, not the Tulane Green Wave, took down the #1 ranked Tar Heels in the semis. Sent them back to Franklin Street. Pepperdine 4, UNCheat 3. They swept the last 2 singles matches after UNCheat had gone up 3-2.

Post-script:

The Devils did indeed put up a great fight. Now, as Paul Harvey used to say, for the rest of the story.

Last night the Waves, no, not the Tulane Green Wave, took down the #1 ranked Tar Heels in the semis. Sent them back to Franklin Street. Pepperdine 4, UNCheat 3. They swept the last 2 singles matches after UNCheat had gone up 3-2.
    Thanks for this wonderful post. There is a God.

Quote Originally Posted by arnie View Post
    Thanks for this wonderful post. There is a God.

Would it make it even better if I told you the Cheats were not only #1 seeded/ranked, they were previously undefeated? (cause they were).

Maybe Duke tuckered them out by making them go into the third set of all those matches.