Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

2021 Women's tennis

Duke women's tennis locked in close match with UCF in NCAAs. Duke got the doubles point.

Follow the scoring here.

http://scores.tennisticker.de/usa/us...ci2=581&lid=83

Quote Originally Posted by jimsumner View Post
    Duke women's tennis locked in close match with UCF in NCAAs. Duke got the doubles point.

Follow the scoring here.

http://scores.tennisticker.de/usa/us...ci2=581&lid=83

Up 2-0 now. But looking bad at courts 1 & 6. Looking like it will go down to last court (#2?) and be a 4-3 decision.

(Check that, Karolina came back in the second set on court #6. 5-5 all in the second after dropping the first 6-1.)

Up 3-2; but down 5-1 in the third on court #5.

Looks like it will come down to court #3. Lost the first set; up a break 4-2 in the second.

UCF will surely have the crowd advantage playing in Orlando.

Coming down to the last singles match. Duke's Chloe Beck lost to Levashova in the first set but won the second 6-2. So, she's got BIG MO.

On serve in the third. 2-2

Beck with the break. She's serving at 4-2.

UCF breaks back. Back on serve.

Beck breaks back. She's serving for the whole enchilada, at 5-3.

Now serving at 5-3. This is exciting! Wish I could see video instead of live stats.

UCF breaks back. Fourth break in a row. UCF's Levashova serving at 4-5. Another break?

Another break. Duke wins.

Wells lost the first set 6-4 but came back to win the last two sets 6-2 and 6-4.

UCF breaks back. Fourth break in a row. UCF's Levashova serving at 4-5. Another break?
    YES!

Should have known I couldn't beat Jim.

Looks like Duke won? Beck broke back to win her match 6-4 in 3rd.

Quote Originally Posted by Tooold View Post
    Looks like Duke won? Beck broke back to win her match 6-4 in 3rd.
    Duke wins 4-3 ! Just saw the match point celebration on Twitter. Second week in a row that it’s come down to the last match. Cardiac Devs!

Oh, by the way, Duke's next match is against UNC.

Yep, that UNC. The one in Chapel Hill.

The other quarterfinal matches are Georgia v. NC State, Florida State v. Texas and Pepperdine v. UCLA.

Yes, four of the remaining eight teams are from the ACC, three from the Triangle.

Wheels up Wednesday.

Oh, by the way, Duke's next match is against UNC.

Yep, that UNC. The one in Chapel Hill.

The other quarterfinal matches are Georgia v. NC State, Florida State v. Texas and Pepperdine v. UCLA.

Yes, four of the remaining eight teams are from the ACC, three from the Triangle.

Wheels up Wednesday.
    UNC Women are like the Anson Dorrance era Soccer teams. No. 1 in tennis and three National championships in a row for Field Hockey. The stadium is named after the Head Coach Karen Shelton.Major league facilities by some Burlington Alum. Duke has a cinder block dressing room, while UNC has therapy rooms, weight room ,whirlpools,sauna. I Talked to Pam Bustin, Duke's FH head coach a few years ago. Can't believe they can't get funding. One grad student alum is married to Ed Sheeran, the singer and the CFO of Microsoft Liz Hood played field hockey for Duke in the 90's. However, having the UCONN of Field Hockey next door is a recruiting tool.Duke is very solid in tennis. They are definitely capable of the upset win.

Quote Originally Posted by heyman25 View Post
    UNC Women are like the Anson Dorrance era Soccer teams. No. 1 in tennis and three National championships in a row for Field Hockey. The stadium is named after the Head Coach Karen Shelton.Major league facilities by some Burlington Alum. Duke has a cinder block dressing room, while UNC has therapy rooms, weight room ,whirlpools,sauna. I Talked to Pam Bustin, Duke's FH head coach a few years ago. Can't believe they can't get funding. One grad student alum is married to Ed Sheeran, the singer and the CFO of Microsoft Liz Hood played field hockey for Duke in the 90's. However, having the UCONN of Field Hockey next door is a recruiting tool.Duke is very solid in tennis. They are definitely capable of the upset win.
    No offense to Kevin White but perhaps a new AD will rethink some of the spending priorities for the Olympic/non-revenue sports.

No offense to Kevin White but perhaps a new AD will rethink some of the spending priorities for the Olympic/non-revenue sports.
    You are much, much closer to Duke Athletics than I am, but I don't think this is totally fair. First of all, I believe the athletic department has spent a lot on non-revenue sports in recent years - they built a softball stadium from scratch, built and upgraded the field hockey complex, built a new track facility (admittedly an offshoot of the Wally Wade renovation) and upgraded Koskinen. It has been a while since the tennis upgrade but that was also a fairly big project. All while spending a lot on football and basketball to keep up in the ridiculous spending race in those sports.

Second, in order to do big projects, you need donors who target those projects - anything decent sized typically needs an anchor donor to fund a good portion of it. Iron Dukes can make efforts to convince big donors where to target their funding, but there is only so much they can do.

There is always room for improvement, but overall, I think the current administration has done a good job.

Quote Originally Posted by CrazyNotCrazie View Post
    You are much, much closer to Duke Athletics than I am, but I don't think this is totally fair. First of all, I believe the athletic department has spent a lot on non-revenue sports in recent years - they built a softball stadium from scratch, built and upgraded the field hockey complex, built a new track facility (admittedly an offshoot of the Wally Wade renovation) and upgraded Koskinen. It has been a while since the tennis upgrade but that was also a fairly big project. All while spending a lot on football and basketball to keep up in the ridiculous spending race in those sports.

Second, in order to do big projects, you need donors who target those projects - anything decent sized typically needs an anchor donor to fund a good portion of it. Iron Dukes can make efforts to convince big donors where to target their funding, but there is only so much they can do.

There is always room for improvement, but overall, I think the current administration has done a good job.
    Oh, I agree and do not think I suggested otherwise. Duke has been involved in lots of big money projects lately and hasn't always prioritized less lucrative sports. But a new person is almost always rethink things and maybe that rethink will involve improving the infrastructure of some of these less lucrative sports. Do you disagree?

Oh, I agree and do not think I suggested otherwise. Duke has been involved in lots of big money projects lately and hasn't always prioritized less lucrative sports. But a new person is almost always rethink things and maybe that rethink will involve improving the infrastructure of some of these less lucrative sports. Do you disagree?
    By leading with "no offense to Kevin White" you seemed to be saying that you were not happy with what he has done. I am not too close to the situation (though closer than most) and based on my explanation below, I think that he has done a very good job of balancing spending on non-rev and rev sports, particularly given how big ticket donations tend to be targeted. So would I be happy if the next AD did exactly what White has done - yes. Would I be OK if they allocated a little more towards non-rev? Sure. There are limited funds, which are further limited by how donors want their funds targeted, and I think that White has done an good job of allocating these funds. As I described in my examples, non-rev sports have gotten a lot of resources, as have revenue sports - neither has been ignored.

And if someone wants to go to UNC to play field hockey because they have a slightly nicer locker room, then good luck to them - I don't think they are smart enough to make it across Guttentag's desk anyway.