Serena Williams Defaults Mid-Match at Wimbledon

Serena slipped and suffered a serious leg injury moments ago in her first-round match vs Aliaksandra Sasnovich. She was looking fitter than I have seen her look in years. Such a shame.

I had just read yesterday in the local rag that it was a good sign for her when Halep (who beat her here in 2019, and of course there was no 2020 Wimbledon) withdrew. Should be wide open now.

Edit: I just watched the video, and I don't see a "slip" of more than an inch or two. Was waiting for a slo-mo close-up in the clip but none came. Really odd injury.
    Last edited by dudog84; 06-29-2021 at 03:42 PM.

New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley
    How's this for a sign of longevity in an amazing career. Not just longevity, but being at the pinnacle during all of it.

This is only the second time in her long, storied career that she's been forced to retire from a Grand Slam due to injury. The only other time was at Wimbledon in 1998, 23 years ago.
    https://www.yahoo.com/sports/wimbled...190204592.html
    Q "Why do you like Duke, you didn't even go there." A "Because my art school didn't have a basketball team."

A few minutes earlier Roger Federer advanced because opponent Adrian Mannarino withdrew after injuring a knee on slippery grass. Federer was down two sets to one but up a break in the fourth. So, he probably wins in the 5th. But still, a troubling trend on the second day.

I was watching both live. The tournament officials need to do something about the damp, dangerous playing conditions on Centre Court. Watching Mannarino slip was like watching Zion slip when his shoe blew out. Very similar injuries, likely straining the MCL. Serena's injury was more likely a tweaked groin or hamstring muscle. I'm not a doctor, but I have had experience with both injuries in the (distant) past, and I know what I saw.

Imagine playing basketball on a moisture slicked court, like when the big pro arenas, like MSG, lay the wooden bball court over the ice hockey ice rink. Too dangerous to play slip 'n slide with these athletes.
    Last edited by OZZIE4DUKE; 06-29-2021 at 04:08 PM. Reason: Name spelling correction!
    Ozzie, your paradigm of optimism!

Go To Hell carolina, Go To Hell!
    9F 9F 9F
    https://ecogreen.greentechaffiliate.com

Apparently with the cool, wet conditions in England this spring the courts are particularly soft and the grass is more slippery than is typical. The commentators said the courts should firm up and and improve a little as the week goes on and they get more play. (Although in the past, the courts would actually get more slippery as the tournament progressed because of the worn grass).

New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley
    Quote Originally Posted by Tooold View Post
    Apparently with the cool, wet conditions in England this spring the courts are particularly soft and the grass is more slippery than is typical. The commentators said the courts should firm up and and improve a little as the week goes on and they get more play. (Although in the past, the courts would actually get more slippery as the tournament progressed because of the worn grass).
    Tennis cleats. New shoe line, waiting to happen.
    Q "Why do you like Duke, you didn't even go there." A "Because my art school didn't have a basketball team."