Duke Women’s Track and Field Team ACC Co-Champs!!!

Tonight in Raleigh, the Duke Women’s track and field team tied Florida State for the ACC Championship with each team scoring 110 points. A key race was the 400 meter run where Duke scored 28 points placing 1,2,4,5, and 8th. Four of the five 400 meter runners ran legs on the winning 4x 400 meter relay. This was the final event of the night for the women.
    I believe this is the first time in Duke’s Track and Field history a Duke team (men or women) has finished first in an ACC Championship meet. Congratulations to Director of Track and Field Shawn Wilbourn and his staff and all the team members!

Two first place finishes on Saturday. Duke Athletics Has had a historic day . First Softball, now Track and Field. I remember the Al Buehler era of Track.Bob Wheeler was a star in the mile and 1500 Meters. I saw Steve Prefontaine run at the old Wallace Wade track on the infield.In the 70's mid summer hot and humid .USA/Africa 30,000 to 40,000 in attendance.

Congratulations!

Congrats to our student-athletes and coaches!

Softball AND T&F ACC Champs on the same day. Way to go Duke Women!

That is awesome! Congrats all around.
    "This is the best of all possible worlds."
    Dr. Pangloss - Candide

Details from goduke.com on the T&F accomplishment

https://goduke.com/news/2021/5/15/tr...mpionship.aspx

In our basketball discussions we often worry about "the demise of college sports" and "how badly the NCAA and NBA (as co-conspirator) are ruining college sports".

I think our sense of pride and interest in Duke sports won't wane because of how may different sports and true student athletes there are to cheer for!!!

Congrats to the women's T&F and softball teams!!!

Go Duke!!!

Quote Originally Posted by MarkD83 View Post
    In our basketball discussions we often worry about "the demise of college sports" and "how badly the NCAA and NBA (as co-conspirator) are ruining college sports".

I think our sense of pride and interest in Duke sports won't wane because of how may different sports and true student athletes there are to cheer for!!!

Congrats to the women's T&F and softball teams!!!

Go Duke!!!
    I enjoy watching all Duke sports. Basketball is the best, but seeing the Duke name on any jersey is enough to keep me cheering!!

I'll be honest, this came out of nowhere for me. Men's lacrosse (co-champions), women's golf, softball and now women's track and field. Am I missing anything? Four ACC titles in the spring is pretty darned impressive and a nice going away present for the incumbent AD.

Coach Wilbourn was officially named head coach a month or so ago, so he's won a conference championship every year he's been head coach so far. Impressive stuff.

And ... next step.

Quote Originally Posted by phaedrus View Post
    Coach Wilbourn was officially named head coach a month or so ago, so he's won a conference championship every year he's been head coach so far. Impressive stuff.
    And he fired all of the coaching staff ... effective right after NCAAs. I don't think Wilbourn won ACCs on his own.

Quote Originally Posted by LastRowFan View Post
    And he fired all of the coaching staff ... effective right after NCAAs. I don't think Wilbourn won ACCs on his own.
    Any insight into why Rhonda Riley left? And are any other coaches leaving?

Erin Marsh is at the Olympic trials in heptathlon, which started today. After 2 events (100m hurdles and high jump) Erin is in 6th place.

Quote Originally Posted by Tooold View Post
    Erin Marsh is at the Olympic trials in heptathlon, which started today. After 2 events (100m hurdles and high jump) Erin is in 6th place.
    Erin ends the first day of heptathlon in 9th place. Respectable showing so far. A better shot put would really help her.

Erin finished in 10th (out of maybe 17 competitors) in Olympic trials for heptathlon. It was a very respectable showing, with (I believe) a couple PRs. Her second day wasn’t as good as the first, and she was well behind her PRs for shot put, javelin and long jump. So I think she has more potential!

Quote Originally Posted by Tooold View Post
    Erin finished in 10th (out of maybe 17 competitors) in Olympic trials for heptathlon. It was a very respectable showing, with (I believe) a couple PRs. Her second day wasn’t as good as the first, and she was well behind her PRs for shot put, javelin and long jump. So I think she has more potential!
    Thanks for the update. Indeed, that is very respectable and Erin will have plenty of upside if she chooses to stick with it. Being a Decathlete/Heptathlete requires a lot of time, energy and sacrifice to master all of the running, throwing and jumping events. The peak is usually well into the twenties since some of the skills take time to learn and different muscle groups to train. At least the women do not need to do the pole vault which is probably the toughest event. Duke seems to have the coaching and facilites for decathletes with former great Curtis Beach and currently Evan Lee, a graduate transfer from Penn who won the ACC Decathlon this year.