Page 6 of 11 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast

Points To Perfect

I'm not sure what the value of the following analysis is, but it made me feel a little better about our season so far so I thought I'd share it.

When I looked at our results so far, I noticed that we are eleven points from a perfect season. I thought that was pretty nice so I wondered how that compared to the other Top 25 teams on Kenpom. The results are below. To calculate "Points To Perfect" I just summed the points differential in each team's losses and added one more point per loss. For example, Duke is a total of eight points short in our three losses. Add one point to each of those three games, and we have a perfect season. So how do the top teams get re-ranked following this analysis...

TEAM POINTS TO PERFECT STRENGTH OF SCHEDULE

Arizona _____ 5 __________ 110
    Houston ____ 5 __________ 134
    Kansas _____ 11 __________ 17
    Duke ______ 11 __________ 117
    Baylor _____ 12 __________ 41
    Purdue _____ 13 __________ 50
    Gonzaga _____ 14 __________ 146

If strength of schedule is factored in somehow, Kansas, Baylor and Purdue would likely move up in that ordering. The other teams in the Top 25 fall off pretty quickly for the most part. So I don't know if there's really any value to that summary, but it does reinforce my feeling that with just a little bit of tinkering, this team has a pretty high ceiling.

We are also probably due some positive regression, as each of the last 4 close end of game situations (at OSU, Miami, twice at FSU) went against us. Some of that is poor play. Some of it is dumb luck (like the circus shot by Charlie Moore combined with Roach slipping on the play).

Quote Originally Posted by Ggallagher View Post
    I'm not sure what the value of the following analysis is, but it made me feel a little better about our season so far so I thought I'd share it.

When I looked at our results so far, I noticed that we are eleven points from a perfect season. I thought that was pretty nice so I wondered how that compared to the other Top 25 teams on Kenpom. The results are below. To calculate "Points To Perfect" I just summed the points differential in each team's losses and added one more point per loss. For example, Duke is a total of eight points short in our three losses. Add one point to each of those three games, and we have a perfect season. So how do the top teams get re-ranked following this analysis...

If strength of schedule is factored in somehow, Kansas, Baylor and Purdue would likely move up in that ordering. The other teams in the Top 25 fall off pretty quickly for the most part. So I don't know if there's really any value to that summary, but it does reinforce my feeling that with just a little bit of tinkering, this team has a pretty high ceiling.
    I'd argue that the FSU loss, being overtime, means that Duke only needed one more point ;-) moving Duke into sole possession of 3rd on the list. Not that it changes the impact of your analysis/exercise.

Quote Originally Posted by DukieInBrasil View Post
    I'd argue that the FSU loss, being overtime, means that Duke only needed one more point ;-) moving Duke into sole possession of 3rd on the list. Not that it changes the impact of your analysis/exercise.
    Good point

Quote Originally Posted by CDu View Post
    We are also probably due some positive regression, as each of the last 4 close end of game situations (at OSU, Miami, twice at FSU) went against us. Some of that is poor play. Some of it is dumb luck (like the circus shot by Charlie Moore combined with Roach slipping on the play).
    depends. didn't the analysis show we are not particularly good scoring on no shot clock situations?

Quote Originally Posted by uh_no View Post
    depends. didn't the analysis show we are not particularly good scoring on no shot clock situations?
    Don’t have enough sample size to say yes or no there. No reason to assume we are inherently bad at it. Whereas we DO have evidence of an example of bad luck (the Moore play).

Which is why I said probably due for a regression. It is certainly possible that the team is inherently bad at last-possession offense. But my suspicion is that it is more likely noise.

Quote Originally Posted by DukieInBrasil View Post
    Why'd you leave out Auburn (18-1, #5 KenPom)? Their only loss was to UConn in double overtime, so they are only 1 regulation point from a perfect record.

Quote Originally Posted by brevity View Post
    Why'd you leave out Auburn (18-1, #5 KenPom)? Their only loss was to UConn in double overtime, so they are only 1 regulation point from a perfect record.
    Just a screw up on my part. I had them on my handwritten list when I took a first look at the numbers. In cleaning up my list before posting, I inadvertently omitted them from the second copy. Nice work

And you're correct. By the amended logic correcting for overtime games, they would be the strong #1 in this ranking.

Thanks for catching that.

Just a screw up on my part. I had them on my handwritten list when I took a first look at the numbers. In cleaning up my list before posting, I inadvertently omitted them from the second copy. Nice work

And you're correct. By the amended logic correcting for overtime games, they would be the strong #1 in this ranking.

Thanks for catching that.
    The other end of the spectrum is Villanova, currently ranked #7 in KenPom with 5 losses totalling 69 points, needing 74 points for a perfect record. They also have the #2 strength of schedule, so that explains much of it. But they did have a couple of blow-out losses of 20+ points.

Here is how some of the projection systems see the rest of the ACC turning out.

KenPom
    15-5 - #10 Duke
    13-7 - #34 Wake Forest
    13-7 - #57 Notre Dame
    13-7 - #54 Florida State
    13-7 - #62 Miami
    12-8 - #43 UNC-CH

BartTorvik
    15-5 - #10 Duke
    13-7 - #37 Wake Forest
    13-7 - #55 Florida State
    13-7 - #66 Miami
    12-8 - #51 UNC-CH
    12-8 - #71 Notre Dame

Odds to at least share the ACC regular season per these projections:
    74.9% - Duke
    15.5% - Florida State
    14.1% - Wake Forest
    10.8% - Miami
    9.1% - Notre Dame
    5.4% - UNC-CH

ESPN BPI
    15.5-4.5 - #12 Duke
    12.9-7.1 - #38 Wake Forest
    12.1-7.9 - #66 Notre Dame
    12.6-7.4 - #55 Florida State
    11.9-8.1 - #69 Miami
    11.8-8.2 - #35 UNC-CH

84.4% - Duke
    9.8% - Florida State
    11.3% - Wake Forest
    6.6% - Notre Dame
    5.4% - UNC-CH
    4.4% - Miami

The systems pretty much agree on Duke, but disagree some on the others. It looks like Duke is still the favorite. However, if we slip up, it could be a really wild race with 5-6 teams in it.

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Maturin View Post
    Here is how some of the projection systems see the rest of the ACC turning out.

KenPom
    15-5 - #10 Duke
    13-7 - #34 Wake Forest
    13-7 - #57 Notre Dame
    13-7 - #54 Florida State
    13-7 - #62 Miami
    12-8 - #43 UNC-CH

BartTorvik
    15-5 - #10 Duke
    13-7 - #37 Wake Forest
    13-7 - #55 Florida State
    13-7 - #66 Miami
    12-8 - #51 UNC-CH
    12-8 - #71 Notre Dame

74.9% - Duke
    15.5% - Florida State
    14.1% - Wake Forest
    10.8% - Miami
    9.1% - Notre Dame
    5.4% - UNC-CH

ESPN BPI
    15.5-4.5 - #12 Duke
    12.9-7.1 - #38 Wake Forest
    12.1-7.9 - #66 Notre Dame
    12.6-7.4 - #55 Florida State
    11.9-8.1 - #69 Miami
    11.8-8.2 - #35 UNC-CH

84.4% - Duke
    9.8% - Florida State
    11.3% - Wake Forest
    6.6% - Notre Dame
    5.4% - UNC-CH
    4.4% - Miami

The systems pretty much agree on Duke, but disagree some on the others. It looks like Duke is still the favorite. However, if we slip up, it could be a really wild race with 5-6 teams in it.
    Thanks. Really interesting.

Is Wake really that good? Or is Wake being the ~2nd best team in the ACC just show how bad the ACC really is?
    Criticism may not be agreeable, but it is necessary. It fulfils the same function as pain in the human body. It calls attention to an unhealthy state of things. - Winston Churchill

President of the "Nolan Smith Should Have His Jersey in The Rafters" Club

Quote Originally Posted by flyingdutchdevil View Post
    Thanks. Really interesting.

Is Wake really that good? Or is Wake being the ~2nd best team in the ACC just show how bad the ACC really is?
    One thing helping Wake in the metrics is margin of victory. Of their 6 ACC wins, 4 have come by at least 16 points. Compare that with say, Florida State, who has won 4 of its 6 ACC games by 1 or 2 points, and the metrics find Wake's work to be more impressive.

To your other point, yes, it says a lot about the ACC. In many years a team in the mid-30s might be the 5th or 6th best team in the league. In 2019, Louisville was #23 in KenPom, which was 6th in the ACC.

Duke dropped to 9 in the latest AP Poll.

Quote Originally Posted by CameronDuke View Post
    Duke dropped to 9 in the latest AP Poll.
    FSU, WF, Miami with votes. Cheats not listed; must be a misprint.

Whoa... here is some really interesting dork news. Duke has the nation's best 5-man lineup.

And that Duke 5 is faaaaar ahead of the second best lineup in the country. There is an 11 point gap (in efficiency margin) between Duke and the second best lineup. By comparison, there is less than an 11 point margin between the 2nd best lineup and the 11th best.
    Why are you wasting time here when you could be wasting it by listening to the latest episode of the DBR Podcast?

Quote Originally Posted by JasonEvans View Post
    Whoa... here is some really interesting dork news. Duke has the nation's best 5-man lineup.

And that Duke 5 is faaaaar ahead of the second best lineup in the country. There is an 11 point gap (in efficiency margin) between Duke and the second best lineup. By comparison, there is less than an 11 point margin between the 2nd best lineup and the 11th best.
    We discussed this earlier in the February thread. Sadly, the sample size (121 offensive possessions/125 defensive possessions; approximately 68 minutes over the course of the season) is far too small to be particularly informative.

Quote Originally Posted by JasonEvans View Post

And that's with Trevor Keels as the 6th man. Pretty good.

GoDuke!

This is treading on quicksand, but this is K's farewell. Given all he has done for USA Basketball, the NCAA, the ACC, the coaches association, Duke and even FIBA -- no way will the Tournament Selection Committee want to hear "Duke got screwed." A tiebreaker, for sure.

Up to 9 in KenPom.

-jk

Quote Originally Posted by -jk View Post
    Up to 9 in KenPom.

-jk
    And to #7 in Torvik.